Iron numbers on non ferrous side of (horseshoe) display

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Dan1890

Iron numbers on non ferrous side of (horseshoe) display

Post by Dan1890 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi all
Still learning the deus.
I've noticed that I sometimes(often) get a good sound, worth a dig, look at the screen,see a 1-3, think iron don't bother, then notice signal is showing on non ferrous side of horseshoe, worth a dig again!

So far every time I've dug this type of signal it turns out to be iron and I think I should have trusted the numbers and am tempted to ignore this type of signal in future, Problem is everyone says trust tone over id nos.

Why does iron sometimes come in on right side of display? Or worded differently how can the machine think the target is iron,(1-3),and non ferrous at the same time?

Thanks
Dan

Oxgirl36

Re: Iron numbers on non ferrous side of (horseshoe) display

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I find some big iron ones in as high numbers and can sound great BUT if you do a 2 way sweep you can hear the iron. I’m no expert (i’ve only had it for a year) but I took advice when I got it and everyone kept telling me not to look at the screen and numbers but just to listen. As a result I spent months listening, not looking.

So I didn’t take out the control box for weeks when I got my Deus. Then I put the controller in my pocket and looked at it to learn once i’d already decided to dig or not. Sometimes I then dug things I was pretty sure were iron just to check.

And watch that the Deus has a quirk that deep good targets can have an iron buzz. But you can tell the difference between deep good targets and just iron once you get your ear in. So put the box away in your pocket for a while and you’ll just use the screen for confirmation in no time.

And, on a personal level, I suggest you try the XY screen if you are on v4. Some people love the horseshoe but personally I think the XY screen is far more useful.

But more than else please watch the masterclass videos on the XP YouTube channel, search for xpmetaldetector and all will be clear. We can’t tell you in words what you can see in these videos. You need to see and hear it too.

Good luck :D ::g
Last edited by Oxgirl36 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

fred

Post by fred » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm

The programmes interpret the signals that the machine picks up. Some signals are obvious and the identification is right almost every time. Other targets, like iron with holes in it or deeper stuff, give signals that the programme struggles to interpret. The deciding factor is you. Get it wrong and you either dig up more junk than you need to or you leave good stuff in the ground for the next detectorist to find. Your call! :D

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Try using the X-Y screen in Deus Fast.

Its quiet on the ears unless you choose otherwise

Its fun to use and interpretate the reading and saves digging a lot of coke etc.

Garys video shows users how to set it up. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 am

Another way to check for iron is to centre the coil over the target and, as you swing, draw it backwards (or forwards) and as the target comes to the edge of the coil you'll invariably get an iron buzz.
John

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”