Whites M6 Coils

Topics related to Whites metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Whites Videos
walsallwhite

Whites M6 Coils

Post by walsallwhite » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering, if anyone owns a Whites M6 and what coil they use, My Buddy is telling me too change the orig coil that came with it and to get another coil.

I am using it in the orig brought brand new condition and finding quite a lot of items

But do i change it :-?

Many thanks

Mick

Tin Nugget

Re: Whites M6 Coils

Post by Tin Nugget » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:24 am

Over here they come with the 9.5 concentric coil so I assume yours is the same. Very good coil when you have allot of ground to cover but not so good in a trashy site or a site with many targets close together. Most prefer the 6X9 DD coil for target seperation and tough ground conditions such as allot of iron or heavy mineralization. I use an MXT and it shares all the coils with the M6. The 6X9 DD stays on my machine 80 percent of the time. You do lose some depth but it saves the sanity in a tough area. I also use the 4X6 DD for super trashy sites and the super 12 for field hunting.

walsallwhite

Post by walsallwhite » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Tin

Many thanks

Mick

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Mick,
Just a few months on from your original query...
but I have been using the stock coil since I purchased the machine 2 years ago
and 40 hammies,gold coin, treasure ring, saxon/roman finds later I am of the
opinion if it works why fix it...
However.. if I was going to try another coil it would be the 4x6 DD coil which, judging from various feedbacks, will target those smaller coins. I havent truly looked into it hard enuf but I would like to think that whatever coil comes with a mid-range/high-range priced machine will have been fully tested by the manufacturer as being 'the best' for that machine. But hey - what do I know..
All I can say is that when I was looking for a mid-range machine this ticked all the boxes and continues to do so. This machine (and probably most Whites ?) is such a solid build that all I have changed is the spongy bit on the handle. And when I accidently put the batteries in wrongly and blew the circuity Joan Allen repaired it an no cost !
Coils aside.. I am constantly amazed by the number of detectorists who swing their coil too fast and in such a way
(smiley mouth shape) that they moan they've never found a hammered coin. Well unless its a noble on the surface they won't..
Gone a bit off the subject here... but often its not the new coil thats at fault or the machine but the machine operator. And.. you have to 'get used' to your machine. Know what to listen out for - what each tone may indicate etc.
Took me a while to go 'slow and low' but having changed my coil cover twice now - that shows I am tight to the surface/brushing the stubble all the time.
Hope some of this has been of use and if there are any Matrix users out there (or DFX etc) who can offer feedback on a coil they have changed to then that would be very helpful.
Good hunting
John in Gloucester
p.s. I found a Charles I half penny a few days back and at 10mm diameter its smaller that a Charles Rose Farthing. It wasnt on the surface - but a few inches down. I'll stick with what I've got (for now haha !)
XP DEUS - V4.1 (9" HF circular coil).
Usual settings: Prog 9 (Hot), manual, 54khz

Grid is 1mm squares within 10mm blocks

[member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club - http://www.glevumdetecting.co.uk

Return to “Whites Forum”