bargain or not?

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
monkeyman999

bargain or not?

Post by monkeyman999 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

hi guys, I've been offered an xp gmaxx 2 for £350 they said its had a wireless chip fitted for headphones and comes with a couple of carry bags and coil covers. but I don't know the age of the machine and apparently neither does the current owner. :-/ is this a bargain? do u think I should get it? lol as an xp machine was next on my list after filtering out the idea of the ATPro cheers

XP GOLDMAXX POWER
GARRETT ACE 250
GARRETT PRO POINTER
GREEN GARRETT RUCKSACK
GOOD OLD CORNISH LUCK ;-)

TIME TRAVEL DOES EXIST! ITS CALLED METAL DETECTING!!! :-)

Sheriff

Re: bargain or not?

Post by Sheriff » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Dont know the machine enough to coment on whether its value for money but would be put off that its been adjusted for wireless headphones has the detector components been messed with? if so by who? and is it sold as seen buy?
ace 250

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:38 pm

just another question - why have you filtered the idea of the AT PRO? -My next purchase was going to be the Pro.
ace 250

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm no XP expert, but I believe early Gmaxx's (and ADX250's) didn't have the wireless transmitter as standard, it was a seperate plug-in circuit-board you could fit as an upgrade. Later versions had the transmitter integrated onto the main circuit-board.

monkeyman999

Post by monkeyman999 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm

thanks for comments! ::g I think it's an upgrade that a lot of owners have done if they want to go wifi on the older models? by buying the chip from the newer model and inserting it into the older one? but I'm not sure, like you I'm not very educated on this model lol. so I'm very apprehensive to say the least, and also I read the gmaxx 2 is only 4.6 kHz and the GMP is 18 kHz so I'm thinking of saving and goin for the better model of the range. as my ace 250 is 6.5 kHz lol..

Well both machines are very good depending on your location and where you go detecting and the kinda weather you detect In I.e. the AT pro is waterproof so gd for rivers and rain etc. but my own personal research which has lasted a gd few months on both manufacturers has made me come to the decision that xp gmp is the one to go for as I have read very very little complaints about the XP GMP of which were down to the user mainly. but one heck of a lot of bad reviews on the AT pro. I really don't want to cause a barny on here with at pro users as I'm sure they love there machines and do very well with them. like I say this is only my personal opinion backed up by months or research. it's personal choice at the end of the day and another way to look at it is there both better then my garrett ace 250 which is awesome in its own way ha ha.

so basically my advice would be read all the reviews you can and watch videos on them and then see how you go :-) but I'm no expert im just worried bout wasting a lot of money on a machine and wishing I brought the other after lol.
XP GOLDMAXX POWER
GARRETT ACE 250
GARRETT PRO POINTER
GREEN GARRETT RUCKSACK

monkeyman999

Post by monkeyman999 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Fusion wrote:I'm no XP expert, but I believe early Gmaxx's (and ADX250's) didn't have the wireless transmitter as standard, it was a seperate plug-in circuit-board you could fit as an upgrade. Later versions had the transmitter integrated onto the main circuit-board.
thanks for info matey ::g
XP GOLDMAXX POWER
GARRETT ACE 250
GARRETT PRO POINTER
GREEN GARRETT RUCKSACK

baz1sue2

Post by baz1sue2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 pm

I had a g,maxx several years ago, at £350 its a good buy. its a cracking machine with very good depth capabilities particularly on pasture and woodland.running at 4.6 khz its ideal for punching deep into un disturbed ground....regret selling mine....hh...BAZ

monkeyman999

Post by monkeyman999 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm

baz1sue2 wrote:I had a g,maxx several years ago, at £350 its a good buy. its a cracking machine with very good depth capabilities particularly on pasture and woodland.running at 4.6 khz its ideal for punching deep into un disturbed ground....regret selling mine....hh...BAZ
thanks for the reply matey! that's interesting cuz I was under the assumption that it was the higher the frequency the "better"? especially for small items and gold and hammys etc? or am I the wrong way round? lol :-/
XP GOLDMAXX POWER
GARRETT ACE 250
GARRETT PRO POINTER
GREEN GARRETT RUCKSACK

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm

I think the GMAXX, would be a good machine if you have a GMP, i was thinking of getting one to compliment mine, at the moment all my machines are high fraquency, i need something lower, ie the GMAXX for some pasture that i recently got permission on........or the other possibility is sell things and get the Deus, then you have your high and low freeks in one machine :D :D :D :-/ ::g

baz1sue2

Post by baz1sue2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm

alloverover wrote:I think the GMAXX, would be a good machine if you have a GMP, i was thinking of getting one to compliment mine, at the moment all my machines are high fraquency, i need something lower, ie the GMAXX for some pasture that i recently got permission on........or the other possibility is sell things and get the Deus, then you have your high and low freeks in one machine :D :D :D :-/ ::g
Exactly what i,ll be doing in the next couple of months....THE DEUS....I,m running the gmp at the moment,but regret selling my g,maxx for the pasture, getting the deus should cover all angles hh....BAZ

Digger Drew

Post by Digger Drew » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 pm

cost me the same in september for a goldmaxx
2019(11 hammereds including Charles 1st half crown and a gold ring )

XP Goldmaxx + Goldmaxx power+ permission +time= finds

baz1sue2

Post by baz1sue2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Sorry MM, never answered your question. yes the higher the frequency the more sensative to the small non ferous targets, the gmp is one of the best on the market at this but does,nt have great depth capabilities whereas the g.maxx has VERY good depth on the slightly larger targets we detectorists seek.. hh...BAZ

dolph

Post by dolph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 pm

The g-maxx2 as stated is excellent on pasture really goes deep. I have one that I run along side my GMP and they are good machines. They are wireless like the gmp and set up is pretty much the same. oh and at £350 a bargain

Dolph
Started 9/6/2010
XP Goldmax Power x2 / XP Gmaxx2
Whites PI / Minelab Sovereign GT

monkeyman999

Post by monkeyman999 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm

thanks for replys! ::g I have just found out its a v3 gmaxx and not the gmaxx 2 so she's quiet abit older. is it still much of a bargain or not? went to see it and it's well used and the external speaker dosnt work :( cheers
XP GOLDMAXX POWER
GARRETT ACE 250
GARRETT PRO POINTER
GREEN GARRETT RUCKSACK

Oldest Swinger

Post by Oldest Swinger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:16 pm

I would forget it and go for a second hand GMPV4 much better machine known as the hammy hoover and available for around £400 second hand for a machine only a cpl of years old.
Much better option in my mind and a machine you will not regret getting, see owning a GMP as an aprentaship to owning the logical upgrade to the Deus in the future.

Paul

Ex GMP owner and now a Deus owner and absolutely commited to the XP concept.
DEUS

I may be slow but can still get to my knees for the glint of gold

celtic

Post by celtic » Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi very underrated machine it will find just as much as the goldmaxx, I have had both and believe me they are the bees knees they will match most machines.

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 pm

If you don't know it's history and the seller doesn't either, then just walk away. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue May 14, 2019 7:57 pm

is it a bargain

A quick search of completed listings S/H £350 -£380 is the norm

I can see new for £550 ish with 5 year warranty.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

This topic is almost 7 years old. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Well spotted EL. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Going to lock this before we all get confused by this old thread ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 14 x;

Return to “XP GMAXX Forum”