Goldmax Power coil cable again!!!

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
muddy fingers

Goldmax Power coil cable again!!!

Post by muddy fingers » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Well I've just had to repair my GMP coil cable yet again for about the seventh time and now I'm running out of spare cable length. Admittedly, it's about 6 years old and having it hip mounted has put extra strain on it despite steps I've taken to try and relieve this. I had a very difficult job trying to re solder the wires and there was no way that I was going to be able to actually make the new connections at the plug itself. I examined the wires under my microscope and it does seem to me that the woven wire mesh that forms the shielding seems unusually soft and so easily broken. As other GMP users have said to me, they never had cable problems like this with for example, the Tesoro cables, which by comparison seemed indestructible, yet the GMP cables are described as being of military specification. I'm considering changing the whole plug and socket at the box so that it will be easier to make future repairs. The coil itself is fine, it's just the cable that gives me all my problems.
I would be interested to hear other people's views and any solutions to this problem.

Koala

Re: Goldmax Power coil cable again!!!

Post by Koala » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:03 pm

If it got too short I would be tempted to splice in a length of good quality microphone cable its designed to be low noise and loss but highly flexible

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm a fan of searching with a control box in the Chest Mount format (under a jacket to protect from wet and cold) and I think the hip mounted alternative does tend to put quite a bit of strain on the cable just below the control box connection. As the Goldmax Power control box weighs in at very little, I personally never considered it to be worth hip-mounting because of the possibility of problems such as you have outlined. Cheapest option in my opinion, is to shaft mount it because being on the rear of the stem, it also goes some way to offset the weight of the coil. In my case it also allows me to carry my weighty (but worth it) Evolution spade on a hook which I've built into by belt rig. All the best. ::g sweepstick47
A disservice is no service at all.

geoman

Post by geoman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Yep had similar problems with cables. The first Goldmax was fine and the cable took years to fail when used in hipmount whilst my latest Powermax was not used hipmount and the cable failed after less that 6 months normal use. Being classed as ware and tear it was not repairable under warranty. XP are probably seeking to maximising profits and using cheaper materials now.
Last edited by geoman on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 am

When you read the manual for the GMP there are dire warnings regarding placement of the box and cable if you wish to hip mount. That suggests that XP must know that the cable won't like the resultant twisting movement that is a likely consequence. Tesoro used to provide extension cables for those that wished to hip mount and there wasn't any mention of likely problems from doing so and nor were there any. As I say, the shielding wire seems so soft in comparison to the other wires and it is this that breaks. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the plug is the sealed type - rendering soldering repairs to the pins at that point almost impossible.

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:11 am

geoman wrote:whilst my latest Powermax was not used hipmount and the cable failed after less that 6 months normal use. Being classed as ware and tear it was not repairable under warranty.
6 months is just not acceptable unless unreasonable abuse has taken place. You should demand repair or replacement and if you do not receive either a call to Trading Standards is in order as the cable is clearly not fit for purpose. The Sale of Goods Act ensures that you have right to expect reasonable longevity and in some cases this would exceed the year usualy given by manufacturers.

I spoke to a council officer about this (Oxfordshire County Council) with regard to TV's and his view was that it is reasonable that you should expect a TV to give service for several years not just the one stated by manufacturers.

geoman

Post by geoman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Afraid i just had it repaired as you dont get much discussion with those who repair the machines, but next time i will be wise.
I was sent a note to say that "a cable break is not a warranty part and classed as wear and tear. The break could have been caused by a tug on the cable or general use over time". So not a lot to argue about there as it would be difficult to prove that the cable break was not caused by a tug as they say. I would suspect that the manufacturers know the weakness of the cable and the main dealers who repair XP machine haved no intention of paying for repairs if they can get away with such wording to put the blame on the detector user. My XP was bought six months old when it went wrong and had only been used for a few hours so feel i have been conned.

Perhaps i will need to look at other makes of detector when i come to buy my next one. Shame as i like the XP and it works well ,but i am now always concerned that it will break down next time i use it and be faced with yet another repair bill. The same can be said for the WS3 headphones the plastic stirrups of which have a habit of breaking in cold weather - the more i think about the reliability of XP products the more concerned we all should be as we all pay good money for their products yet their reliability is questionable.

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”