Pete's GMP arrived today...

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
littleboot

Pete's GMP arrived today...

Post by littleboot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:27 pm

I've been waiting in for the blooming thing for the last couple of days...and the irony of not being able to go detecting while I wait for his machine has not been lost on me!

It's second hand but in very good nick and came well packaged in the original box. So I set to and put the little blighter together.
First impressions are I like the noises it makes. The coil cable is very loooooooooong. Was winding it round the shaft for ever! It came with backphones in a small case. I tried them on but as usual with these little jobbers as my ears are very close-set to my head they end up being painful over my ear. Hopefully Pete won't have a similar problem.
Was tempted to take it out for a spin ....but its not supposed to be my machine so that would be wrong of me. I'll probably take it out tomorrow. :)) Got a few settings worked out already and it seems pretty straightforward.

Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

sweepstick47

Re: Pete's GMP arrived today...

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi littleboot ::g Pete's going to be a 'happy bunny' with GMP! Pretty straight forward as detectors go these days and very sensitive to cut quarters (as an example). You mentioned the 'painful ear syndrome' due to the pressure created by the 'on ear' headphone cups on the back phones.
I also found this a bit annoying (and a bit painful on the lugs after a couple of hours or so) .
The answer is to go for 'over-ear' design phones. I was impressed with the clarity of the supplied 'back-phones' and decided on a mod.

My solution, was to remove the two ear-pieces from the headband (intact) and put them inside a pair of 'Peltor' ear defenders - problem solved.

As I had the defenders as surplus, they were an obvious contender for the mod.
The only other solution to this would seem to be a pair of over-ear type. Hope this helps and of course you'll have to try the Goldmax out!! ::g (to make sure it works) :D
A disservice is no service at all.

Nigel at regtons

Post by Nigel at regtons » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Sensitivity 12 O'clock
Ground 12 O'clock
Silencer middle (1)
Iron volume 10 O'clock
Iron threshold 2 O'clock

The reason behind the above settings are so that you can hear what's in the ground and then if necessary do something about it. By hearing how much iron and coke is present you can then adjust the machine to suit, if you run zero volume and set in auto all the time how on earth can you tell what you're up against......you can't.

If there's allot of coke then use auto but remember you've just slowed the recovery speed down by 33% & this is what makes the GMP so good on junky ground.

If there's loads of iron then flick the silencer switch up (faster recovery speed) and also maybe drop sensitivity if it's really bad, if there's no iron then flick the switch down for more depth (slower recovery speed).

If you're used to running the lazy way ie volume off, auto on then you will probably struggle with these settings the first few outings as it's very different, just persevere your reward will be in your finds pouch. This is like buying a Ferrari and then adjusting it so that you can only use half throttle, yes it's easier but why on earth would you ?

Don't change the machine to two tones either, it definitely works better in 3 tone, not sure why, it just does.

When you're happy with how it's all working by all means deviate from the above but be aware of the consequences when you do.

& Lastly The Goldmaxx models are headphone critical, use the wrong ones and you WILL struggle to hear the difference in tones, you’ll blame the detector when in fact it’s self induced, you have been warned ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Great advice there (as usual) from Nigel at Regton's ::g ::g ss47

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Yep, can't argue with any of that!! I'll print it out and get Pete to study it!

I am used to similar machines myself and like to hear what's going on and I'm happy enough digging plenty of rubbish to start with to know how things sound.
Pete OTOH is more used to being told what to dig (often inaccurately lol) by his machines so I have been training him up with my Tesoros over recent weeks.
He'll find this easier than the Tejon because of the tones. I'll certainly take it out tomorrow and see how things go first with the settings supplied above. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:54 pm

I found the guide 'Environment Settings' by member 'Anubis' very useful for the Goldmax Power.
Not sure how to place a 'link' here but you'll find it under the 'Metal Detector Forums -(on the left) under XP Detectors /Goldmax Power. All the best - ss47

Edit - changed spelling!!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks Sweep....I've already read 'em and made notes. Nothing if not thorough when it comes to detecting. :)) I find it saves so much time later on.

budwieser

Post by budwieser » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:I found the guide 'Environment Settings' by member 'Anubis' very useful for the Goldmax Power.
Not sure how to place a 'link' here but you'll find it under the 'Metal Detector Forums -(on the left) under XP Detectors /Goldmax Power. All the best - ss47

Here you go Sweepstick, hope you don`t mind me doing this for littleboot. Neil. ::g
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=32664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
XP Deus, WS 4`s Evo pro cut digger and spade. Makro Propointer Lots of Red Wine.!
PC and Laptop Repairs, Screen Replacements, Upgrades Etc. Also Some Data Recovery.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 pm

budwieser wrote:
sweepstick47 wrote:I found the guide 'Environment Settings' by member 'Anubis' very useful for the Goldmax Power.

Here you go Sweepstick, hope you don`t mind me doing this for littleboot. Neil. ::g
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=32664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
Not at all mate, help is help however it's brought about. Thanks ::g ss47

lorncha

Post by lorncha » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:13 pm

buy pete some wireless headphones for his birthday, them back phones are a pain. good choice of detector.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Pete, despite being rather ill with a fluey cold, tried out the GMP today and Loved It! Yay. Does exactly what it says on the tin. I know he'll enjoy using it. He felt confident straight away.
Special thanks to Muddy Fingers for the settings you supplied. They were perfect for the mildly coke-infested stubble fields we started on.
In other news...I have decided I HATE my Tejon. No matter what headphones I use, how much I listen and swap about between the two discrim modes....iron still too often sounds the same. Its like going back to old BFO days. Never dug so much small iron in my life! You know, by small I mean about 7cms square or so.
Ah well....looking for another GMP for moi. If anyone has one the want to put on the MDF auction site, I'll be there like a rat up a drain. :)

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:39 pm

He knew....Its a roundabout present for me because I was sick of him whinging about not finding stuff and I need him to ride shotgun if I detect in lonely places. (Though God help anyone who monstered me when I'm armed with my angle-ground spade. lol)
Mostly its cos I was sick of him whinging and didn't want him to lose his mojo and give up.

Irony is I've lost MY mojo because I am saddled with the Tejon Pete bought and then regretted. Men. :-L

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Glad things went well littleboot. You may have noticed my post in the XP section about cable problems with the Goldmax. This long term problem has at last made me take the plunge and purchase a Deus, partly because new coils for the Goldmax cost £165. I've set my Deus up to mimic the settings of the Goldmax as closely as possible (It has a Goldmax Power programme on it) I was fortunate today to get a little hammered (Richard IInd halfpenny) so hopefully, the success I had with the Goldmax will continue now that I'm using the Deus. If you look at any second hand machines try and make sure that movement of the cable at either the coil or control box end, doesn't cause jittery noises to be heard in your headphones.

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:56 am

Hi littleboot, might be of help or just teaching your granny to suck eggs, if you go on garysdetecting.co.uk there is a video he's put up about the Goldmaxx power set up and settings.
He was one of the first to use the original Goldmaxx in this country.

Bob

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks Bob. Yes I've seen it.
And who are you calling a Granny?????????? :-L :)) :))

shotwell

Post by shotwell » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Nigel at regtons wrote:Sensitivity 12 O'clock
Ground 12 O'clock
Silencer middle (1)
Iron volume 10 O'clock
Iron threshold 2 O'clock

The reason behind the above settings are so that you can hear what's in the ground and then if necessary do something about it. By hearing how much iron and coke is present you can then adjust the machine to suit, if you run zero volume and set in auto all the time how on earth can you tell what you're up against......you can't.

If there's allot of coke then use auto but remember you've just slowed the recovery speed down by 33% & this is what makes the GMP so good on junky ground.

If there's loads of iron then flick the silencer switch up (faster recovery speed) and also maybe drop sensitivity if it's really bad, if there's no iron then flick the switch down for more depth (slower recovery speed).

If you're used to running the lazy way ie volume off, auto on then you will probably struggle with these settings the first few outings as it's very different, just persevere your reward will be in your finds pouch. This is like buying a Ferrari and then adjusting it so that you can only use half throttle, yes it's easier but why on earth would you ?

Don't change the machine to two tones either, it definitely works better in 3 tone, not sure why, it just does.

When you're happy with how it's all working by all means deviate from the above but be aware of the consequences when you do.

& Lastly The Goldmaxx models are headphone critical, use the wrong ones and you WILL struggle to hear the difference in tones, you’ll blame the detector when in fact it’s self induced, you have been warned ::g
Please tell me the ear phones you would recommend for this machine as my gmp arrives tomorrow ::g

Doug

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 pm

shotwell wrote:
Nigel at regtons wrote:Sensitivity 12 O'clock
Ground 12 O'clock
Silencer middle (1)
Iron volume 10 O'clock
Iron threshold 2 O'clock

Please tell me the ear phones you would recommend for this machine as my gmp arrives tomorrow ::g

My personal choice is WS 2's (wireless) or WS 1's (corded)

principia

Post by principia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 am

If you bought the machine new, its with the wired XP F01 headphone included.
If you like wireless (maximum freedom) there is the XP WS1/2 (backphone) or the XP WS3.
See also thread:
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=67617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus
AKA Signum MFD
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:03 am

You won't go wrong with a goldy. It's sensitive enough to hear everything that's going on in the ground, like having xray eyes :D
I've tried buying various machines for the Mrs...ace's...xterra...etc and she always does well with the goldy.
Xp deus

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:49 am

Well, my choice would always be XP WS3's for the Goldmax p - They are not cheap but but they are the best. As a cheaper alternative, you could go for the TDK 700's which are an excellent compromise, but a compromise nevertheless. Cheers. PS. Lucky bloke that Pete of yours!! :D
Regards ss47

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:59 am

If you can't afford the wireless ones just yet my missus uses the standard Joan Allen wired full cup ones and prefers them the wireless back phones
Xp deus

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”