GMP, three months in.

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
Ten pence!

GMP, three months in.

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:22 pm

I purchased one of these that was advertised locally simply because it was a bargain price and came with a set of WS3 headphones, to be honest it was an impulse buy and was intended to compliment my T2 which it has done, comparing the two is rather difficult as they do a similar job very differently, the T2 is slightly deeper and has slightly quicker response times, note this is not the same as target separation, and unlike the GMP can be used effectively in wet sand.

In the GMP's favour it is much better in iron contaminated ground and can be run "hotter" in mineralised dirt mainly due to the superb audio which once mastered gives you so much information and "feel", the T2 by comparison feels lifeless and unresponsive if you compare them side by side, it's not of course but the audio on the T2 lacks the subtlety of the GMP.

Settings? Firstly let me say my GMP is only used on ploughed fields or stubble and is very much at home here, I eventually settled on silencer 0, iron threshold just out of auto, and incidentally never use auto for proper searching as recovery speed and target separation is compromised slightly, just flick into auto to check targets you suspect are deep iron, iron volume at 12 o clock and sensitivity just on the red zone for most of the time, and the ground potentiometer to 10-11 o clock, you might find this irritating if you are new to the machine due to the sparkiness but once understood these settings (ground conditions permitting) will give the best combination of depth, recovery speed and target separation, not a guess btw but tested on my finds garden, In fact I now rarely stray far from these settings, hopefully this will be of some help to newer owners of the GMP.

Ten pence!

Re: GMP, three months in.

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:25 pm

An update is due after a whole season using the GMP, overall I'm very pleased with the machine, one niggle is the battery replacement procedure, firstly you get no warning the batteries are about to go just a loud and regular beeping tone that renders the machine immediately unusable, changing the batteries in the field is also a rigmarole especially if the control box has a cover as you need to disconnect the cable plug and unscrew the fiddly little nuts that hold the battery cover on, not easy with cold fingers and in a muddy field. I ended up sewing a zip into the back of the control box cover and machining up a couple large diameter knurled nuts that you can actually get your fingers round.

I also purchased the 11in XP coil, first impressions were not good as it is far heavier than the stock 9 inch coil and seemed to me to upset the balance of the machine, I also started to get a bit of arm ache after a couple of hours use, I have to admit I thought of getting rid of it after one session, however I decided to test it's performance side by side with the stock coil with the items in the picture below, I have a test procedure that will let me know how the machine is likely to perform in the field and reveal both it's strengths and weaknesses, I'm not one of these people who thinks a bit of kit is good just because I found a really nice find with it! My best discovery this season was so shallow my pinpointer mounted on the end of a stick would have found it!

I buried a 10mm diameter hammered silver penny at five inches, put a two inch nail on the surface and buried a brass shotgun cartridge base at nine inches, sadly these things give near identical responses to the average Medieval silver penny, both the stock coil and 11 incher give digable signals on the five inch penny, the stock coil is struggling on the 9 inch cartridge base but the 11 incher will just about pull it at ten inches, playing around with the nail in conjunction with the other two objects reveals the stock coil to be noticeably superior in unmasking so would be the preferred choice in iron contaminated soil, one pleasant surprise was the 11 inch coil loses no sensitivity to smaller finds, and frankly if it had I'd have sold it on, the advantages are a slight increase in depth on larger targets and obviously better ground coverage, although to counter the latter you could use the stock coil and just turn up on site earlier and leave later!

Settings. I don't stray far from those in the photo, I try and sneak a bit more depth by upping the sensitivity and lowering the ground reject control anti clockwise, DO NOT use the auto reject setting you will lose some good targets close to iron and lose depth on small finds, if you want to test this yourself try this, put a small hammered on the surface and put the machine into auto, raise the coil and at some point the good signal will become an iron tone, now come out of auto and at the same depth that signal will be a digable once again, in fact you can expect up to two inches more in ground depth out of auto, the only time you should use the auto setting in my opinion is if you are plagued with coke on your site, if you have lots of iron and the noise bothers you turn down the iron volume, do not go into auto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

principia

Post by principia » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Nice story, good to read that you like it :-).
About the battery replacement, indeed a crime, therfore I use chargeable batteries that I can charge with the special charger for the GMP.
As for the 11" coil, I myself, bought the Detech Ultimate 13" which is even lighter than the stock 9".
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus
AKA Signum MFD
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:13 pm

I have some fields with lots of coke (they had bread ovens etc on them) so Auto is a godsend on those. I have tried avoiding auto on these areas and frankly it was a pain and I wasn't enjoying the experience. I may miss something....but then again we always do no matter how we set things up....and of course I'm not going to find anything if I am so unsettled I decide to not bother and move on to another field.
I actually prefer using my GMP on pasture where I find it most effective, and tend to choose my Tesoro on plough/stubble.
I use the silencer on 2. (or 1 sometimes)

Tests are all well and good, but I want to enjoy my time detecting and this has a big bearing on how I set things up and the machine I choose. (Not having heavy coils to wag around, for example) If I don't enjoy it, get tired and vexed, then I don't want to go out or I don't detect for as long.

I agree with the whole-changing issue. Fiddly in the extreme. And I have suddenly known my power is getting critical because it starts falsing and signals become more mixed when they shouldn't. In contrast, my Tesoro is a doddle. One flick of the switch and I know how much juice I have left. It means neither get caught out nor change batteries early to be on the safe side and end up wasting money. Its one battery and its changed in a couple of seconds. GMP is really lacking in that department. Otherwise I love it.

I find the one control on the machine that is crucial to get right is the Iron Volume. I don't run the machine too hot. I find that 12 or 1 o'clock is ample.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:07 pm

I can see why you use the auto setting LB, fortunately I'm not plagued with coke on my sites so digging the odd bit isn't a chore for me, and of course it's all relative when you consider most machines would not find those "difficult" targets in coke infested areas anyway. And I agree with you on the iron volume setting, set high it's quite intrusive whilst to low and you can miss the iron buzz on some iffy targets, 12 o-clock seems about right to my ears loud enough to be heard in the background and without being too intrusive.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Bumped for the member who has just purchased a GMP! ::g

Steve Dixon1968

Post by Steve Dixon1968 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Many thanks :)
Looking forward to getting out weds. It was one of these or a Tesoro.
I wanted no screen.
Thanks
Steve

Documentally

Post by Documentally » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks for sharing (and bumping). This was super handy. I’ve only been out in the wilds with the GMP for about 5 hours now but find myself running similar controls even though I still don’t know what it all means.

It was only when I found a flat shank button and the three pence that I heard that glorious crisp tone I should be looking out for. There is so much iron where I was that I forgot what to listen for. I am waiting for an in-line volume adapter as standard headphones are deafening. I am saving for a second hand pair of the ws1’s and I’ll be good to go.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am

A word of caution about those glorious crisp tones...
The Electrum Stater I dug a couple of months ago gave a signal very similar to a brass bullet casing. (I know this because a bullet casing was the signal I dug before it only a few feet away. Given that casings often hang around in groups I had resigned myself to it probably being another one but there was just something a teeny tad different that persuaded me to dig it.
So the signal was variable mid to high. Same with copper alloy rings, and Roman Bronzes can come in very close to the tone given by Shotties.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 am

littleboot wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am
A word of caution about those glorious crisp tones...
The Electrum Stater I dug a couple of months ago gave a signal very similar to a brass bullet casing. (I know this because a bullet casing was the signal I dug before it only a few feet away. Given that casings often hang around in groups I had resigned myself to it probably being another one but there was just something a teeny tad different that persuaded me to dig it.
So the signal was variable mid to high. Same with copper alloy rings, and Roman Bronzes can come in very close to the tone given by Shotties.
This reminds me of a dig I was on a few years ago, in the middle of nowhere, this guy had a great signal and it was a coke can! He had an identical signal a couple of feet away and thought "another coke can"..... he left it and his mate said "what if it isn't?" .....up came a stunning flat axe!!!

You never know..... :D
Image XP Déus V5.2

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Bumped for a new member.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:36 pm

If I was awarding stars for a great topic then this would be on the rostrum ::g Some very valuable insights and advice, from people who actually use the machine a lot and thus can offer "in the field" advice.
Re the battery knobs, I think someone - Bargeman - posted up some mods to make it lots easier to sort out the battery changing.
I have a GMP as a back up machine, complete with various sized coils and in mint condition, so this topic has inspired me to dust off the GMP, check the batteries and give it a run out. I have had some smashing finds from the GMP before I got the Deus and although I choose the GMP prog on the Deus, the GMP itself is much better for signals and easier to adjust the settings as you go. Its easier through stubble as well, but three hours would be my max before my arm started to ache, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm

In a nutshell the GMP just works really well where it matters, in the field. It's uncomplicated and does the business. After you've worked out the setting you essentially just switch it on and start detecting, no complex programmes that leave you wondering if you really have wrung the last bit of performance out of the machine and the audio is just sooooo descriptive once learnt.

And nice to see a Deus user trying to make the newer machine behave like the older GMP! Funnily enough I've set my Racer 2 up to mimic the GMP as much as possible, it's now just like the GMP but with numbers and the odd glance down! :D

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm

I owned a Dues for two years and used it on a regular basis. but went back to the GMP, you just can't beat this machine, if fact I own two GMP's, just the best in my opinion ::g
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 am

I don’t think I ever want to use a different machine
Straight up.
Maybe a Deus shaft for it.
I will be buried with mine ::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Lowland wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 am
I will be buried with mine
Hubby and me went out on some pasture yesterday and got stuck in a slurry area..so I very nearly was. I managed to keep the GMP out of the gloop but everything else was plastered with it. If I had sprinkled myself with seeds I would have made an excellent manure-enriched raised bed.
I still have hubs' trousers and socks soaking in a bucket outside. He isn't as good at picking more stable clumps of mud as I am. At one point I thought I would have to find his body by looking for the bob of his hat ! :))

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”