Nel 'Tornado', 'Sharpshooter' or 'Snake' on GMP?

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
ChrisWilson618

Nel 'Tornado', 'Sharpshooter' or 'Snake' on GMP?

Post by ChrisWilson618 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello all.

I am wanting to replace the standard coil on my GMP and I am trying to decide between the Nel Tornado, Sharpshooter and Snake. The Tornado has got the slight advantage of more ground covered due to coil size, and slightly better depth; but the Sharpshooter and Snake have the advantage of better separation and better sensitivity to small targets.
As I mostly detect in the South East of England where the soil can be very iron heavy, am I right in thinking that the Sharpshooter or Snake would be a better option?

Your views would be welcomed.

Thank you,
Chris.

If in doubt, BANG OUT.

Bargeman

Re: Nel 'Tornado', 'Sharpshooter' or 'Snake' on GMP?

Post by Bargeman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

What size coils on your GMP, if it is the 9" I would say go for the Tornado, if it is the 11" then the Sharpshooter, I have both and use them both equally.

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

ChrisWilson618

Post by ChrisWilson618 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello 'BM'

It is the standard 9".

I was leaning towards the 'Tornado' but I am concerned that it will just get 'over-loaded' by the amount of iron in the soil down here thus making small target ID harder. That is why I asked about the Sharpshooter and Snake, which have far better separation.

Chris.
If in doubt, BANG OUT.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Hmm...well how do you Know you get better depth and so forth....other than by what Nel says? I know several people who think the actual advantage is moot.

With all due respect Bargeman you had the GMP for only a few weeks before getting the Nel coils. It is all a trade-off at the end of the day. Depth, coil separation. ground covered etc. Ultimately if its in the ground to start with the standard coil won't miss much at sensible detecting depth if its set up right. Very difficult to judge performance between two coils because its may not be the coil that is making the difference if there is one...just the luck of where you wag it.
If I was going to buy a Nel coil it wouldn't be any of the three mentioned.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

ChrisWilson618

Post by ChrisWilson618 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Not all Nel coils work with the 18khz GMP so I am limited in choice.
Bottom line: I want the best coil for very heavy iron soil, as I need to be able to hear clear tonal separation.
If in doubt, BANG OUT.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:16 pm

I tend to agree with you LB, but I didn't just buy the coils on a whim both were bought for a reason after careful consideration. My first permission is a truly well hammered big field, that has been detected over for years, and not seen a plow for even longer, depth is not the issue here, but coverage, so I bought the Tornado, a good combination of size and balance, and as it happens my finds rate increased.

My second permission is the total opposite, old water meadows, damp ground full of tussocks, and positioned between a very busy main road, and the main London to Cornwall rail line, so as you can imagine it is also littered with years of litter and waste from road building, farming, and the railway. digging every signal is not an option here.but working slowly with a small coil is, and again my finds increased because I was able to get better separation between non ferrous and iron. I still dig loads of cans, bottle tops, and foil from years of roadside littering, but I am digging less iron also.
If I was buying my GMP again today, I would go for the 11" coil as standard, and then just add the Sharpshooter. but hey we are all different ::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”