First beach trip

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
DougieH

First beach trip

Post by DougieH » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:46 am

Hi to everyone. Swapped my SE Pro for the GMP and went out on Saturday to a dig on rough plough. Very hard work, but had a couple of coins, 5 buttons, a spindle whorl, buckle parts and the usual non ferrous bits, shotgun carts etc. Very impressed with depth and recovery speed. I've used a Sov XS on the beach for years felt at home with the GMP straight away. So I took it down the beach to see how it did on the damp sand. Worked fine, 2p at 8". Rusty 1p at 5". Then I went onto the wet sand. Got a bit sparky so turned Sens down to about 10 to calm things a bit. Then I buried a dime a good 8" in the wet sand and filled in the hole. The sand in the hole was a bit like quicksand. Swept the coil over it and had a very sweet loud signal. I lifted the coil about 5" above the sand and it was still a good 4 way signal. When I dug it out it had sank another inch. as I headed over the to the small rock pools, the iron was spitting and buzzing constantly, so I turn Sens down so it was only just on. Next target was in wet black sand when I dug it out from about 5". It was only a bit off a ring pull but it was a nice signal. Next was in black sand again. Same depth, this time a 20p coin. I upped the Sens to 10 which was still reasonably quiet and a bottle cap and a 1p coin followed, both about the same depth as the others. Can't wait to get back down with it again. The Sov is having a rest for a bit.
My settings were Sens as high as possible without being to sparky, GB In preset, IV 3, IT auto and silencer on 2. There is a lot of beeps and buzzes going on so throw a couple of pre decimal coins down and listen to the tones against the background noise. Only dig solid 4 way mid or high tones to start with. I was really surprised at how it performed and I wish I'd got one years ago.

meadowman

Re: First beach trip

Post by meadowman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 am

Great write up, think you will be finding something interesting very soon ::g d;]

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

Hi Dougie, nice write-up, I always like to hear which detectors work where - I'm making a note for when it's upgrade time! I notice you're in Littlehampton, a place I know well, but never detected the beach there. I'm a bit confused about how much of it you can detect on? From some maps it appears that the bit from the leisure centre along to the harbour is out of bounds, is this the case, or is it all open for detecting?
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

fred

Post by fred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 am

Arch Stanton wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am
Hi Dougie, nice write-up, I always like to hear which detectors work where - I'm making a note for when it's upgrade time! I notice you're in Littlehampton, a place I know well, but never detected the beach there. I'm a bit confused about how much of it you can detect on? From some maps it appears that the bit from the leisure centre along to the harbour is out of bounds, is this the case, or is it all open for detecting?
Littlehampton was my detecting venue of choice about thirty years ago. More recently I've made the occasional visit there and been mildly surprises about how much old stuff can still be found. Rings have been a tad more elusive than they used to be though! :D
Equinox 800 x2

DougieH

Post by DougieH » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Arch, I only detect East beach. I think there may be restrictions on West beach due to the SSSI for the dunes. No restrictions as far as I know.
Hi Fred, yes it's been a while since I found a ring on the beach. Still loads of musket balls, bullets and predecimal.

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”