Monthly Forum Feature December 2013 - CoinhunterUK!

Forum of the month featured members will be posted here.
stephenbeetleman

Monthly Forum Feature December 2013 - CoinhunterUK!

Post by stephenbeetleman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:12 pm

For the Forum Member of the Month for December guys we have a Gary aka CoinhunterUK! A well established detectorist with us he has amassed an impressive two hoard finds in recent times one of which was at our Forum dig! His interview makes for interesting reading so thanks Gary for agreeing to take the hotseat and for doing this feature for us.
Stephen

What got you interested in detecting?

I've always had a fascination with old coins and ancient history, so after having a bad car accident in 2009 which stopped me working for a few years I looked into getting a hobby and heard about metal detecting! Of course I loved old coins so this was perfect and it was good time out for me in the country as I had a brain injury and so didn't like hectic places.

rsz_accident.jpg

Take us on a trip down memory lane. What kind of detectors have you had in the past?

I started off metal detecting with a Garrett Euro Ace that I bought second hand off of flea bay, had that for about 4 months then was lucky enough to find my first hoard and with the advertising Garrett give me an AT PRO which I still use today.

What machine do you currently use?

At present I still use the Garrett AT Pro .

Any tips or settings you would recommend to run it in?

I always run my machine in all metal mode with no discrimination so I can hear all what is in the ground, with maximum sensitivity and of course ground balanced regularly just to make sure it is running 100% perfect.
I find with this machine you get to know every squeak it makes and with every different noise it is telling you something about the object beneath.
I rarely look at the screen ! One of the only times I do is when I post up a coin or artefact and I sometimes tell people what number readout it was for their interest.

What equipment and Outdoor gear would you typically bring with you on a day's detecting?

Now this I have down to an art lol
First thing in the morning do the equipment check !!
Day Sack which includes the following :
Small plastic container containing my food for the day ….
Small plastic coin capsules for special coins I find lol hopefully!
Spare batteries for detector and Pin Pointer
Bog roll for emergencies
Flask of tea with 5 sugars
Water proof bottoms , water proof jacket, spare socks

How long have you been on the Forum? Have you enjoyed your time on here so far?

I joined on the 10th December 2012 right from the very beginning of my detecting career and gained many hints and tips for starting my hobby which has helped me a lot including being responsible with the hobby, gaining permissions and trying to learn how to ID coins …

I bet you met a few characters at the Forum Dig? I believe it was a great success?

Yes it was an amazing weekend ! From start to finish ……. Met up with so many of the forum members, I wish I had more time to say hello to a few more but hey I'm sure I’ll catch up with the ones I didn’t on next year's weekend dig.

rsz_forum_group_pic.jpg

I never thought I'd be interviewing someone that has found two hoards! It is a detectorist's dream! I have to ask, do you carry anything with you detecting that brings you this luck??

I wish I had something that brought me luck when detecting but I don’t ?? I have a good sense for the land when detecting and this has never done me wrong in the past, but as they say you have got to go over it to find it.

Tell us a bit more about the hoards that you found. Where the initial targets strong signals or whispers that needed more thorough investigation? How Many coins were in each hoard?

The first hoard which was earlier this year was on a ploughed field and I picked up on a few shallow roman coins which had been dispersed in the top soil, I went back and investigated the area for more and picked up on a pattern in a certain area and ended up with approx. 300 roman radiates.
The second hoard was a deep scratchy signal on pasture quite deep, which ended up being a pottery vessel containing 729 roman radiates dating 260 – 286ad ish.

Do you think that the hoards you have found helped the Archaeologists piece more information together on what historically happened in those areas in the past?

Both hoards I found were about 20 miles away from each other and funny enough were both on slight sloping ground with no known roman activity in that specific area, They both got recorded by my FLO and currently both are at the British Museum for further examination.
rsz_hoard_pic.jpg

I notice from reading your other posts on the hoard that you got the Archaeologists involved at an early stage when you realised what you had discovered. It's great to see a healthy relationship amongst detectorists and Archaeologists in our profession, so kudos to you for maintaining that and for being an ambassador for the hobby. What do you think is most important when trying to maintain a good relationship?

Between the Archaeologists and us metal detectorists we are not all that different ! We both love history and finding artefacts. They must do about 4 years training and we do "on the job training" with our machines lol . Both us and the Archaeologists find it hard to gain permission so not much difference between us!
Only one little set back, as in our hobby we have an engraved title above our heads and that is “Treasure hunters “ ( for profit ) I myself have freely shared my information on the PAS website with my finds and even loaned museums my finds to put in a display case for the public to see! The 2 hoards I let Archaeologist’s recover them in a professional way so they can record the information they need.
Without going into too much info, if you go by our simple rules and share the information we uncover then a good relationship can be maintained between us.

How did the reporting process go for you when recording the most recent hoard? What was involved?

Reporting a Treasure find is very simple ! From the minute I found it I phoned my FLO which gave assistance in its recovery. Step 2- they recorded all the information they needed from the find, I filled in a treasure form which was for the landowners and my own details and the amount of coins found.
I arranged a date a couple of days later to meet with the FLO and hand over the coins and send them to the British Museum. “ Job Done”

I believe Liam Nolan nearly lost some teeth when he was eating some biscuits alongside the hoard site? Tell us all about that so our members can get a laugh! lol.

Upon finding the hoard I phoned the owners of the land to let them know the good news of the find, they arrived shortly after with some drinks and biscuits for us to congratulate us ! the homemade cookies were given in a metal biscuit tin which we placed on the ground so we could help ourselves. Shortly after, Mike the Archaeologist stepped back on the tin and crushed them with his foot lol ! As we were all busy we didn’t take much notice but it wasn’t until about a half hour later when Liam and myself grabbed a cookie and he said to me "these cookies taste very gritty ??" I looked at him and forgot that Mike had his foot on them earlier and the tin had bits of mud and all sorts in there!! Of course Mike had already straightened out the tin from being crushed and the cookies were the same colour as the dirt so we didn’t realise.

What kind of a relationship do you have with the landowners from the hoard? They sound really friendly.

Yes there brilliant! and they make a good Spanish omelette. ::g
They love the history side of things as their family have been in the area for many centuries, so with me loving history about the area, I fit right in!

What kind of research do you do before/after asking for permission?

That is a difficult one as I started out with a couple of small permissions about the area and while I gained my experience detecting I worked on two big permissions which I knew held the history. From obtaining permission on that one, word got around who I was and what I did so I got the choice of where I wanted to step next.

Are there any particular old maps or books you cross reference? Are there any websites that you find useful?

I cross reference the Dorset/Wessex site as it holds maps going back to mid to late 18th century, then further going to the main County Centre, obtaining further history from older maps and known scripts dating back to before the Doomsday book. I regularly keep in touch with the Archaeologists and known Historians in the area and from all that I map the rest out myself with my detecting so to speak.

Are there any particular eras of history that are your favourite?

I love the medieval era of history as it was quite a turning stage in England, from the Norman kings to the Plantagenet kings and as if that wasn’t enough to change history, the plague hit in mid 13th century … I love to track this part of history in my detecting … (short cross hammies are my favourite). lol

How do you manage your detecting time around your daytime job?

Managing around my job is quite easy as I only work 16 hours a week and do that in 2 days so leaving me 5 days to fit my detecting in !

Any other Hobbies or Interests?

Yes I would water ski and go hiking from time to time. :)

rsz_water_ski.jpg
rsz_hiking.jpg

Apart from finding the hoards, what is single most important find you have made so far?

Mmmm the most important?? I think I have 2 that are equally important as one is a Saxon penny of King Athelwulf which was classed as a new moneyer i discovered and being a "mule". I also found a William 1st Norman penny which had been minted at my local mint in Wareham and where it was found.

Do you use a gridding system when searching fields ie. Union Jack Method etc?

When entering a new field I am not familiar with I tend to do the old fashioned Union Jack system to give me a rough idea of what is in the ground. It also helps to determine any hot spots. Most of the time when entering a field on one of my permissions I know what I am looking for, old paths, settlements etc so it is a slightly different way of doing it.
On all my permissions which I am searching for Roman – post medieval history I mark down with a GPS the spot where found and transfer that to a large map. Over the next 6 months you get a good idea on where to look for certain things and what was going on etc.

Do you find obtaining permission difficult? Any tips or hints you could give a newbie on obtaining permission?

When I started obtaining permissions it was difficult to start with so I adapted the way I do things, offering the farmers or landowners a history lesson of their land! Speaking to them in person is always a must, being dressed accordingly with 'good manners’. When offering them a history lesson of their land make sure you know what you are talking about as there are some smart landowners out there.

Thanks very much Gary for the Interview it has been a pleasure and i'm sure very informative to a lot of our members out there!

Regards

Stephen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

liamnolan

Re: Forum Member of the Month December 2013 CoinhunterUK!

Post by liamnolan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Top class interview with a top class bloke! Gary is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet and I was very fortunate to find him and end up with a fantastic venue for the 2013 Forum Dig. Thanks Gary, hope hoard number 3 is around the corner, been to the dentist since the Dig, cost me £86 for some missing fillings ... thanks also to Stephen for some good questions and a super interview once again, Liam ::g :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

GeoffBristol

Post by GeoffBristol » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Fantastic write up Gary, your a top bloke, in your short period of detecting youv'e done realy well, you have probably achieved in a couple of years more than someone who has been doing it for 30 years or more, I hope that you carry on as you are,getting good finds as you deserve it,hope to meet up with you again in the near future. ::g
Geoff
DEUS
SPECTRA 3Vi

Scratcher

Post by Scratcher » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Well deserved, cracking lad! ::g :D

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 pm

very nice read, well deserved. 2 hoards wow and an AT pro user like myself. Rob
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Many congratulations Gary, ::g ::g A great interview, you are certainly an inspiration to all detectorists and it's clear to me that you are a fine Ambassadorial example to the hobby as a whole.
Spot on mate, very well done. Regards ::g ::g ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Fishermansam

Post by Fishermansam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Honestly couldn't think of a nicer man than Gary ::g I've been lucky enough to meet him twice, and he's always full of enthusiasm and is always really happy :D
Look forward to meeting you again hopefully one day soon ::g

Sam :;@

If a robber ever breaks into my house looking for cash, i'll just laugh and look with him

lardbelly

Re: Monthly Forum Feature December 2013 - CoinhunterUK!

Post by lardbelly » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Nice one Gary. Hope to catch up with you again ::g
Teknetics T2 SE with 15" NEL Attack and 13" Detech Ultimate and the diddy 5"
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
1. George III 3 Shilling Bank Token
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Congratulation Gary..
A Serious detectorist and some great finds... Well deserved.. ::g
- John
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

TinTin

Post by TinTin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Well done Gary, your a real asset and credit to our hobby.

TinTin
Sometimes even the devil on my shoulders whispers.... WTF are you up to now

fingers

Post by fingers » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Big well done Gary.... :D

Time for another hoard...! ::g

coinhunteruk

Post by coinhunteruk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks every one !! will lap up my claim to stardum for a couple of days lol ::g ::g
122 Hammered inc 2 saxon penny & 1 william 1 & Henry 1
1400 roman bronze & 2 silver denarius ( 2x Roman Hoards )
10 roman brooches
1 lump of gold 3.2 grams
6 Celtic Staters
Garrett AT PRO + pin pointer & 17 months detecting !

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:10 pm

well done and congrats gary you are a top bloke ,and a pleasure to spend some time with. really glad you like cider ::g as we found out in wiltshire .
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Thoroughly deserved CH, very well done.....Hoard finder extraordinaire!! :)) ::g ::g ::g

Cheers Stephen ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Mark White

Post by Mark White » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Well done mate,

Great bloke, good friend who is always there to I'd my not such great finds,
Also a great cook and can nock up a great pack Lunch as well lol.

Well done again Gary ::g

Mark
MInelab CTX3030 + Pro find 25 pinpointer

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Great insight into your passion for the hobby, thanks for sharing ::g

Well done Stephen...great interview with a deserving member.

Ger.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Nice one Gary ::g well done mate :D :D :D ::g

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Stephen you should be a reporter for panorama m8 you are a great interviewer I applaud you O:8 Gary I am so envious of you , firstly you have the grit and gumption to get over a horrendous accident that would of floored most people for life ,secondly you have the ability to tune in to your hobby and find two hoards :-) , well done ::g
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

coinhunteruk

Post by coinhunteruk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:58 pm

GREGGOWREX wrote:Stephen you should be a reporter for panorama m8 you are a great interviewer I applaud you O:8 Gary I am so envious of you , firstly you have the grit and gumption to get over a horrendous accident that would of floored most people for life ,secondly you have the ability to tune in to your hobby and find two hoards :-) , well done ::g
cheers mate ! was a close one but managed to find my perfect hobby lol ::g

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8600_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
122 Hammered inc 2 saxon penny & 1 william 1 & Henry 1
1400 roman bronze & 2 silver denarius ( 2x Roman Hoards )
10 roman brooches
1 lump of gold 3.2 grams
6 Celtic Staters
Garrett AT PRO + pin pointer & 17 months detecting !

Fishermansam

Post by Fishermansam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 pm

coinhunteruk wrote:
GREGGOWREX wrote:Stephen you should be a reporter for panorama m8 you are a great interviewer I applaud you O:8 Gary I am so envious of you , firstly you have the grit and gumption to get over a horrendous accident that would of floored most people for life ,secondly you have the ability to tune in to your hobby and find two hoards :-) , well done ::g

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8600_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My jaw is touching the floor :-O :-O :-O
Jeebus Christ :-O :-O :-O

If a robber ever breaks into my house looking for cash, i'll just laugh and look with him

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 pm

coinhunteruk wrote:

OMG... Im sure you have a really great buddy.. Up there... - and he like metaldetecting to.. ::g
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm

well done mate Well deserved, ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 am

A good read :) And so jealous regarding your finds!
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

housed

Post by housed » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 am

A good read and some great finds. Good job with the Archie's to.
http://theresponsibledetectorist.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Well done Gary, it was a pleasure to meet at the Swindon dig and i hope you saved some of the firework's to celebrate the hoard :D ::g

well done on the FMM and 2 hoard's in 1 year is astounding all the best for xmas and the new year and will look forward to seeing you again next year ::g ::g ::g

PDAquinas

Post by PDAquinas » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Fishermansam wrote:
coinhunteruk wrote:

My jaw is touching the floor :-O :-O :-O
Jeebus Christ :-O :-O :-O
Blimey Gary I'm sure it didn't feel like it at the time but that is some escape mate. I want to be stood next to you come the zombie apocolypse! :D
Cheers

Phil

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Great write up congratulations CoinhunterUK on being forum member of the month ::g
What we do in life echoes in eternity

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:35 pm

A very good read ::g well done mate ::g

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 am

Great interview Coinhunter, all accolades thoroughly deserved, and well done Stephen for putting the questions. ::g

So glad you came off better than the Beamer!!!!!!

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:29 am

Congratulations mate ::g
Xp deus

Return to “Forum Member of the Month Archives”