Monthly Forum Feature January 2014 - Fisher1266x!

Forum of the month featured members will be posted here.
NeverWntd2Dance

Monthly Forum Feature January 2014 - Fisher1266x!

Post by NeverWntd2Dance » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 am

Forum member of the month for January 2014 is Fisher1266x!

Thanks for such a great interview Paul, the pictures were especially fab ::g

What machine did you start out with, what have you ended up with and why?

My very first detector was a simple BFO machine; my current machine is a Déus V3.2 with standard and 13” coils. I checked out what I thought were the main contenders and settled on the XP brand.
I find that the XP’s are extremely fast and are excellent on ancient contaminated sites. The Déus is a dream to use as it’s so light and easy to set-up.

What accessories do you use?

A Garret Pro-Pointer, Muck Boots, modified stainless steel spade and Gore-Tex shells.

What is your best find so far?

The St Ursula mount. However, this year has produced some nice Viking and Saxon artefacts. The latest was a Viking sword pommel recovered in December 2013.
You recently had your St Ursula mount featured on the programme “Britain’s Secret Treasures”. Can you tell us about the mount and how it got to be featured on the programme?
Whilst testing the replacement for my trusty Fisher 1266X (on pasture I’d well and truly “battered”), I recovered over ninety more pre-decimal coins I’d missed …..and the St Ursula mount!
PAS Record: http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/445132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Images of the mount were circulated to academics around the UK to ascertain the identity of the person depicted.

James Robinson at The British Museum recognised the figure as that of St Ursula just as he was in the process of launching the exhibition “Treasures of Heaven” at the BM. Maev Kennedy, culture correspondent for The Guardian, was at the BM at the time interviewing James about the exhibition. She saw how he was amazed at the find and the coincidence of it; she thought the story about “The Cult of St Ursula and her Eleven Thousand Virgins” would make a good read.

The story was published in The Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2011 ... l-treasure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and was subsequently picked up by the UK’s media and went viral.
With the ID confirmed by James Robinson, the FLO for Lancashire and Cumbria, Stuart Noon, took possession of the mount after completing the ‘Treasure’ forms.
The BBC was the first to film a piece about the find, focussing on the metal detecting aspect of it.
The filming for the first series of “Britain’s Secret Treasures” (BST) was already scripted and scheduled (no pun intended).
ITV then made contact with me through the Museum of Lancashire and asked if they could feature the mount in their next series of BST. I didn’t see the Cologne part being filmed but thought ITV did a nice job. All in all, the whole experience was quite surreal and unbelievable.

Initial BBC News link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3lWrQpDsGg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2 min)
ITV BST edited link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljZ9M622gdM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (5 min)

Oldest ever find?

Fossils; c.100 Million BC and various worked flint c.4000BC. The oldest metallic find is one of the Celtic toggle fasteners found in the current year.

You seem to have pulled out finds from all across the ages. Is there anything you haven’t found yet but really want to?

I think something made of gold that qualifies for PAS status would be nice, so a stater or hammered would be a great! A seal matrix or BA axe would be nice too. I think whilst you have items on your wish list that prospect spurs you on.

Best eyes only find?

A Romano-British loom weight which resembles a quern stone.

Over the past few months you have been lucky enough to find a few hoards of roman coins and plenty of brooches. For those of us who can only dream of making such finds, can you talk us through these discoveries?

In March 2013 I teamed up with Steve Mason, introduced to me through our FLO. Steve has at least 35 years’ experience and is equally passionate about history and the recovery of it.
This combination has helped in raising the bar regarding all aspects of detecting.
Although I’ve not found a hoard yet, I have been very lucky indeed with the amount of Roman coinage recovered, even the FLO thought they were from a hoard! I had to explain that the coins were spread over a very wide area. The field was after all 65 acres! The brooches came from the same field but when we searched it in April there wasn’t a single brooch to be seen. It was then re-ploughed in September so we had a second chance to search exactly the same areas and ….voila… the brooches emerged.!?
I think a little bit of dreaming, a little luck, a big chunk of research and good teamwork can pay off.

How do you go about locating (and returning to) hotspots on a field?

I use a linear gridding system which takes in the whole of the search area. If there are two or three people working together you can expect to average about three to four acres of coverage a day, depending on target density and conditions. This is quite an overwhelming task if the area is a large one. On very large fields, GPS is used to mark any find spots as well as any interesting marks spotted on Google Earth. Although not as precise as the archaeologists’ GPS instruments, at least you have a good idea where you are when you’re stood in a 65 acre field!
When working alone or as a twosome, I use a guideline to ensure a disciplined approach, that way you are certain that the entire area is covered accurately. This is the technique I used to highlight the Romano-British settlement which produced over 150 coins and a dozen fibula brooches.

Do you have any memorable stories that you can share with us?

I did post a story though that was printable involving three farmers on a cruise.

Looking through all your posts has left me amazed with the sheer amount and variety of items you have discovered! Do you still get the same buzz when you pull out new finds?

Of course, each find is special, and testament to the hard work endured in the research department.
Saying that though…. I’ve blanked on at least three sites as they were TOO ancient lol!
Another “failed” site has a Saxon church on it and a market and fair site that was held there from the early C13th but we didn’t find a single hammered coin! Happily though, 85% of the sites still throw up some great finds. Strangely, I still get a buzz finding decorated spindle whorls 

What is your favourite period in history?

That’s a toss-up between Roman and early medieval, I suppose Roman has the edge

We all see the amazing finds that you regularly post on the forum, so many of us will want to know how do you go about researching and obtaining permission on the farms where these lovely finds come from?

When I got back into detecting I thought long and hard as to how to achieve the fantastic results of fellow forum members. Living in Lancashire I knew I had my work cut-out. I could see that most finds were coming from places such as Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, and Warwickshire for example.
Research is from several sources, some featured in one of the brilliant posts on this forum:
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 31&t=30454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A great tool I use is Skype so that Steve and I can bounce off different ideas and images and share different resources we have found on the Web. The best part…… it’s FREE! 
I also use a 3D mapping system that shows the terrain in superb detail especially when you can manipulate the light source to enhance the 3D detail. Once a target area is located I try to find out as much as I can about that location. Sometimes some real gems of information surface. The next thing is to find out who owns the land. Once that is realised, a nice letter is sent to that farm. Again, there are some great ideas on letter writing here on the forum. Fingers are crossed in the hope that the landowner is open to the idea of detectorists on his land.
I’ve literally just got a knock-back (Christmas Eve!) from a major landowner with some FANTASTIC history on his land! So, ….chin up …..and back to the researching grindstone.
Research, research and more research is the main key to success.

Do you find that the smaller sites tend to be the most interesting?

Once my head is down, all sites become the same size as I focus on the coil and the surface around me. Ironically, my two best sites are four acres and sixty-five acres in size so are at the opposite ends of the scale. The St Ursula mount came from a one acre field!

Any other hobbies or interests?

Cinematography & photography, mountain biking, hiking, squash, ornithology, IT and music.
Here is a selection of images reflecting my other interests:

Rucksack & binoculars – birding in The Lakes

Part of the mountain bike team – Team Adrenaline

Loch Buie – Isle of Mull

Winter Sun

Winter Wonderland

Male Sparrowhawk perched on one of the garden feeders!

In January of this year you took an amazing shot of a Robin sat quite happily on top of your snack bar, how did you take such a lovely photo? :D

Whilst out mountain biking in really cold snowy conditions, we stopped for a bite to eat. I spotted a Robin that was very interested in what we were eating. It came very close and ended up landing on my snack bar, so I had a Robin on one hand and my camera in the other. As you could see, it had frozen blobs of ice on its feet due the temperature at the time being minus 8C.

How can we get on better with the archaeologists?

I think if you can show them a true passion for history, mixed with a sprinkle of professionalism, this will go a long way to forging a true and lasting relationship.

Finally, any detecting tips to pass on?

Research, patience, a focussed determination, an in-depth knowledge of your machine, a skin like a Rhino followed by more research

Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

Dave8472

Re: Monthly Forum Feature January 2014 - Fisher1266x!

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Nice one and a great read ::g

Dave &*(

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 pm

That a really great interview with Paul,a dedicated detectorist that is always willing too share advice and help others,and some amazing finds over this last year ::g
The difference between perception and reality can be vast indeed.

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Nice interesting read ::g

Well done Paul ... Nice one mate ::g

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Cracking read Paul, very interesting!....Cheers mate! ::g ::g ::g

Well done Laura ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm

well done mate good read ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

janner53

Post by janner53 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Congrats Fisher, excellent read ::g.
XP Deus 3.2
Garret Ace 250
http://janner53.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dig, you dig, we dig, he digs, she digs, they dig. ......
...OK, It's not a beautiful poem, but it's very deep.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 pm

It would be interesting to find out what camera Paul uses to get those stunning pictures ??
The difference between perception and reality can be vast indeed.

coil

Post by coil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Paul great read well deserved keep good work up ::g ::g

stephenbeetleman

Post by stephenbeetleman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Great write up Laura with the questions we would all like to ask. Also a great insight into detecting from another members perspective, congrats Paul! ::g

Stephen
Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Well done Paul thoroughly deserved, and a big thankyou for letting me join the clan. roll on Sunday ::g ::g ::g

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 pm

what a great post well done on the questions laura ,and what a super read really enjoyed it ::g
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Congratultion on forum member of the month. Well deserved. OooO
And the story you and Laura have put together, tells about Professional detecting and approch to history. =D>
Know how much work is involveret in doing things your way. Result speaks for themself. ::g Always a pleasure to read your post Paul, and enjoy your photos 8-> ..
Kind Regards - John
Last edited by Danzigman on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Congratulations on being forum member of the month Paul well deserved ::g
What we do in life echoes in eternity

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for this excellent and informative article ::g and congratulations Fisher on "forum member of the month" ::g

Great read :)

Ace :)
XP DEUS lite 3.2 + 9" coil & WS5 H/phones
Garret Ace 250 + Stock & 22 x 28 DD coil
Garret Pro-Pointer
NCMD member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... -Qw/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A load of determination!

budwieser

Post by budwieser » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Many Congrats Fisher. ( Paul). I` would`ve loved to find just a few percent of what you have found mate. ::g HH.
XP Deus, WS 4`s Evo pro cut digger and spade. Makro Propointer Lots of Red Wine.!
PC and Laptop Repairs, Screen Replacements, Upgrades Etc. Also Some Data Recovery.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Mega B wrote:It would be interesting to find out what camera Paul uses to get those stunning pictures ??
Hi Rick,

The camera I currently use is the Panasonic Lumix LX3. I think it has been superseded by a much newer model.

Best
Paul
;)
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Well done on member of the month ::g
Xp deus

ironage

Post by ironage » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:07 pm

well done paul............... ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g
you've got to go over it.........

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Nice read. I just don't know how you found time to be interviewed with all the research and detecting you do! :D
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 am

Superb!..Well done and without doubt deserved Paul!..and as always a great interview Laura. ::g ::g
Never give up on ANY field..they really don't make them anymore….

stts

Post by stts » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:36 am

Great read thanks for posting, Well done Fisher1266x ::g
Garrett ACE 250

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Can I say a thank you for all your fantastic and positive comments and thank you Laura for the questions :D
This forum is the tops for info, ID's and above all ....friendliness.

I really hope that firstly, some good will come of the info and secondly, it will inspire and give a little mojo back to some that may have lost some of it.
I know.... I needed it when I recently got a knock back on a site that has fantastic potential!

Lets wish for a 2014 that was as good as 2013 weatherwise and some half decent finds too! ::g

Happy Hunting 2014

Paul
::g
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Top read mate and well done to Laura and Stephen for the hard work in sorting these out...
::g ::g ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Escudo

Post by Escudo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Thank you . A very interesting read. And well done Paul.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Nice one Laura and Paul, interesting read ::g Really dont know where you get the time for all that extra stuff Paul you must let me in on the secret mate, a most valuable commodity is time, well done both :D :D :D ::g

NeverWntd2Dance

Post by NeverWntd2Dance » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Bump 98;
Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

foundit

Post by foundit » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm

great read..well done ::g ::g
minelab safari
garrett euro ace
garrett pro pointer

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers

Return to “Forum Member of the Month Archives”