weight problem

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
beachboy70

weight problem

Post by beachboy70 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 am

Hi all. How long can you keep going detecting with the 3030 before your arm feels like its falling off, with my Safari i can manage about 2 hrs mostly with a few stops on the way. The younger strong people probably have no issues but i dont think i am along with this problem, is the 3030 worse for strain on arm / shoulder. HH beachboy70 Pete ;;z

CTX_Phil

Re: weight problem

Post by CTX_Phil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:08 am

If the weight of the CTX is an issue I suggest using a harness to help πŸ‘

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 am

Just using the Force Image

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

Never been a fan of heavy machines no matter how good they are, can't be bothered with straps or slings either, given the advances in electronics I find it hard to understand why some manufacturers are still making detectors that weigh more than 2.5kg. If you end up fatigued due to swinging a heavy or badly balanced detector you can't put the hours in and you'll probably miss some finds.

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:16 pm

I use a Minelab SE which weighs about 1.8kg and using it becomes painful after a couple of hours. I've tried other detectors and a harness but I always go back to free swinging my SE. I swap hands but it still gets painful. I find that once the pain gets to a certain level then it doesn't get any worse so I just tough it out. I used to go out for 8 hour stints with just a bottle of water but these days I've had enough after 4 hours due to my painful ankle, knee, hip, back, shoulder and wrist.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 pm

When I first started with the CTX my arms hurt so badly that I thought that my detecting days were over. I persevered and eventually the pain went. The 17 inch coil still produced problems after five or six hours but the tides usually stopped me detecting that long anyway.

In recognition of my advancing age I have now moved to a much lighter machine without compromising performance in any way. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm

The standard CTX with 11 inch coil is a very nicely balanced machine, and the balance belies its actual weight, but as soon as you add a bigger coil it seems to exaggerate the actual weight and very soon gives arm ache. And as I carry a long term shoulder injury, I am heading now towards lighter machines myself, although I will probably keep the CTX but get rid of the two bigger coils ::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:46 am

I can do 6 hours with the standard coil on my ctx3030, before fatigue gets the better of me (without my harness). This weekend just gone I use my 17" for the first time, and wow, it does make a difference, I am glad I packed my pro swing, I doubt I'd of managed 2 hours without it.. But with it I can swing all day long no bother.

The pro swing is better when you don't have a back pack on, Saturday I was on my own permission and I have 4 fields to choose from that can be quite far from the car, so I like to keep my stuff on me.. When bending down the pro swing rides up and was a pain in the back(literally) But Sunday when out with my club, the car was next to the field we were on so I left my bag in the car and it was a much better experience with the proswing, very comfortable and supportive.
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030 (6",11" & 17")
Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Hand made Steel Sand scoop (by someone else)
Aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am

Easyswing mk2 is the way forward But it does tend to pull on your neck a bit maybe just me though. Mate uses one on his French stick due to elbow issues.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 am

A bit expensive, I've got the Minelab Pro-swing harness. Good bit of kit when using the 17 inch coil. When you dig a target, move your machine a tad to your predominant hand ( in my case to the right ) and gently place your foot on the back of the coil, you can then dig your target without disconnecting the harness from the machine therefore keeping your machine clean and putting little or no strain on your headphone lead ( if your not using the wireless module ) ::g
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 am

Adam17 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:46 am
I can do 6 hours with the standard coil on my ctx3030, before fatigue gets the better of me (without my harness). This weekend just gone I use my 17" for the first time, and wow, it does make a difference, I am glad I packed my pro swing, I doubt I'd of managed 2 hours without it.. But with it I can swing all day long no bother.

The pro swing is better when you don't have a back pack on, Saturday I was on my own permission and I have 4 fields to choose from that can be quite far from the car, so I like to keep my stuff on me.. When bending down the pro swing rides up and was a pain in the back(literally) But Sunday when out with my club, the car was next to the field we were on so I left my bag in the car and it was a much better experience with the proswing, very comfortable and supportive.

I've got the Pro-Swing too, but only use it when I detect without my dog. When she's with me I need one hand on the detector and the other holding the lead, so the spade has to go in the rucksack and as you've found, the rucksack/Pro Swing combo doesn't work!

However, if you've got a ring on the front of your rucksack harness (and if not, you could fit one) you can clip a bungee to that and it does the job. I managed for several months with nothing more than a bootlace with a loop that went over the control box, which worked well enough.

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

Buriedbytime&dust wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 am
Adam17 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:46 am

I've got the Pro-Swing too, but only use it when I detect without my dog. When she's with me I need one hand on the detector and the other holding the lead, so the spade has to go in the rucksack and as you've found, the rucksack/Pro Swing combo doesn't work!

However, if you've got a ring on the front of your rucksack harness (and if not, you could fit one) you can clip a bungee to that and it does the job. I managed for several months with nothing more than a bootlace with a loop that went over the control box, which worked well enough.
Good thinking buddy.
My rucksack does have a loop on it, but I'd feel well bad though, my wife spent a small fortune on the harness for me for xmas, I must use it πŸ˜‰
Thanks though ☺
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030 (6",11" & 17")
Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Hand made Steel Sand scoop (by someone else)
Aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Drustan

Post by Drustan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I agree with Bargeman, the CTX with the 11" coil is very well balanced. With the 17" coil it's very nose heavy. I tried the harness but didn't take like it, so I balanced the detector up by adding lead weight to the control box. Sounds severe but I have not used the 11" coil since. ::g

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks all for the replies, it seems i am not along with this issue of weight. I have tried a harness it helps a little if on flat ground but as i am on beaches mostly its no good because of slopes / rocks, so its a little at a time then rest or change to a light machine. :-L beachboy70 ( Pete )

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:17 pm

beachboy70 wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am
Thanks all for the replies, it seems i am not along with this issue of weight. I have tried a harness it helps a little if on flat ground but as i am on beaches mostly its no good because of slopes / rocks, so its a little at a time then rest or change to a light machine. :-L beachboy70 ( Pete )
No, definitely not alone Pete. I am 5'11", with a big frame, but after a lifetime of sport and hill walking I am left with repaired bones and severe nerve damage in my arm, so weight was an important consideration for me. My Ace 400i weighs 1.3kg. The balance could probably be better, but I tend to keep detecting to around 3 hours per trip.
I can't be doing with a harness or headphone leads - it makes it such a pain when down and digging. It is also worth spreading the weight of all the associated gear (digger, pinpointer, water, extra clothes, finds, etc.). I bought a CKSN detecting vest, with the optional webbing belt attached to the bottom. A ridiculous number of pouches and pockets, and with the weight spread evenly it also leaves my hands free apart from the machine.
Works for me if I limit the hours.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

Return to β€œMinelab CTX 3030 Forum”