Deep Seeking Beach Program?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

Deep Seeking Beach Program?

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 pm

I managed to get my hands on a CTX 3030 in excellent condition, at a good price. I like a bit of a challenge, and judging from the complex settings on the CTX, that is exactly what I've got!

Any tips where I can start learning this advanced machine? I am thinking of buying Andy Sabisch's guide to the CTX. Is the book any good?

Also, where can I get program that will provide depth on UK beaches (wet, and black sand.)

I was a bit concerned about the weight of the machine, but after a few hours swinging it about on the beach today, it's actually not that bad!

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

Junior

Re: Deep Seeking Beach Program?

Post by Junior » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 am

All I've done is get the book by Andy and copied the tadpole setting graph from the book onto the screen...I wouldn't go by the present programs tooo much as if u test it on beach with our new 5ps 2ps etc it doesn't pick them up on it ....you can get get programs off minelab site I believe is it platinum service which u have to pay for...I use tadpole settings for everything...if really quite I just use just the bottom 2 lines on the screen with rest of the screen open....recov deep on...rec fast off....high trash or ferrous coin ....and only 1 tone....seawater on all the time.....noise cancel each time .......dont bother g.b unless really strugging...sens normally 24 unless clean then 26......once set up it's turn on and go and toggle between tadpole and 2 lines of disc....I use tadpoles for beach too, out our way on the beach I do it's normally say 4 inches of sand then fine shingle .... ::g Weight wise I bought 2x easy swing 2s and keep 1 in each vechile , i use it on 6-11-16 inch coil...

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm

If you search back through my posts I explained several time how I managed to maximise depth from a CTX on beaches. You may need to adjust the settings to your own conditions in order to eke out every inch though. The signals at that sort of depth are really small and faint and well beyond the limits of the target ID or depth indicator (which I never had much faith in anyway).

You should be looking to get about 18 inches on a old penny in compacted sand but be prepared for some serious digging as fishing weights and other larger stuff can be a lot deeper.

Best of luck ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm

Forgot to say go low and very slow, any little bleep I generally 're investigate which can lead to annoyingly slow detecting....but sometimes they come good....but at mo it's my preferred detector ::g

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Junior wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm
Forgot to say go low and very slow, any little bleep I generally 're investigate which can lead to annoyingly slow detecting....but sometimes they come good....but at mo it's my preferred detector ::g
Also be patient, it took me a hell of a long while before I really got the hang of the CTX, and that is despite my being used to Minelab machines. The CTX is still one of the best detectors around but it's a bit unbalanced with a large coil on. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 am

fred wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 pm
Junior wrote:
Also be patient, it took me a hell of a long while before I really got the hang of the CTX, and that is despite my being used to Minelab machines. The CTX is still one of the best detectors around but it's a bit unbalanced with a large coil on. ::g

On my second day out with the CTX, and despite the fact I hardly know what I am doing with it, I've already seen results that I am impressed by!

Today, during a brief detecting session I pulled a 1700's coin out of black sand. Normally I used to be to only be able to pull old stuff out of troughs/rock pools where objects were not able to sink too far.

This was different - it was pure sand (no sign of clay or rock supporting it,) and probably my oldest coin to date off a beach. I can't wait to see what I can do when I understand the machine!

fred

Post by fred » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:32 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 am
fred wrote:
Junior wrote:

On my second day out with the CTX, and despite the fact I hardly know what I am doing with it, I've already seen results that I am impressed by!

Today, during a brief detecting session I pulled a 1700's coin out of black sand. Normally I used to be to only be able to pull old stuff out of troughs/rock pools where objects were not able to sink too far.

This was different - it was pure sand (no sign of clay or rock supporting it,) and probably my oldest coin to date off a beach. I can't wait to see what I can do when I understand the machine!
Well done. It's always good to see the unexpected from a beach. I got a Henry III hammered penny off one last year. :D Now do the same area with sensitivity on max and volume gain ramped up as far as you can bear. Go very, very slowly from different directions and dig anything that is repeatable, even if it is just a slight waver. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

@Fred. Thanks for the tips. I am already on the same wavelength as you, and had the sensitivity and volume up very high. I am already getting the finds, however I reckon it's going to take a long time to become a competent user of the CTX!

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:32 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 am
fred wrote:

Well done. It's always good to see the unexpected from a beach. I got a Henry III hammered penny off one last year. :D Now do the same area with sensitivity on max and volume gain ramped up as far as you can bear. Go very, very slowly from different directions and dig anything that is repeatable, even if it is just a slight waver. ::g
Hi Fred

Ive done a search through your various old posts on the CTX but am struggling to find your exact settings for the beach (specifically 'black sand.') Could you please let me know how you setup the CTX for such conditions?

My setup was roughly as follows:

- Beach Mode
- No discrimination
- 50 tones
- Gain 28-30
- Volume at full
- Saltwater ON
- Deep Recovery ON
- Target Separation - Fe Coin (I don't really know what I am doing with this, and just chose it, as the ID of a deep coin seemed to be 'better,' but I'm probably talking rubbish.)

I use the stock coil, but also have the 17" coil which I have not used yet.

Thanks!

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”