CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
jimbotrucker

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by jimbotrucker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 pm

If you had a ctx you would not be rained off :D
the main part of the ctx apart from the waterproofing is its ability to work on any ground. It can and does pick out good targets next to iron.
It has no problem working on a coke infested site and loves the wet sand.

Minelab equinox 600
Quest pro
Two mad dogs
Not enough time in fields :-( too far from the beach :-(
Not enough Land :-(

felixferal

Post by felixferal » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Since I've had the CTX I've had a few WOW moments. Just lately an air rifle pellet at 14" I kid you not.
Also this weekend I had an Eddy penny at around 10" (well length of pro pointer and a little bit more).
There was also a very corroded / rusted lump of iron machinery with a bit of copper in it. It gave a clear signal on the copper at again around 10". The copper was inside the iron. Go figure. These signals were all from a very worked out field and I'm digging everything in it, so the usual trash has been cleared out of the top layers of soil, so maybe thats why I'm picking up the deeper signals and I also pretty much always use the 17" coil these days. Even so, very impressed. Basically if you hear even a whisper of a conductive tone, there IS something there. I use a combined pattern with just 4 tones, low for iron, high right for where your big silvers / copper etc usually come in a middle tone (in the middle doh!) and to the left a lower tone for your hammys etc. If you hear iron with a high right tone most of the time it's just iron. If you hear iron with a whisper of a lower or middle tone i dig it. :D
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Forget air tests with the ctx or any other machine waste of time ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:08 pm

This is a very old thread when the machine hadn't been out long and just to give a starting point of what to expect on the display in ideal situations and as a ruff guide. Four years on I still use the CTX as my preferred pasture machine and agree, real world tones can be very different from air testing. Found a gold stator and many hammered with this and some at impressive depths

Dave &*(

robin

Post by robin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I think air tests give the same results mostly as actual in field use.

I found this youtube video on gold air tests last week.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CTX3030
Excalibur with 15" wot
and a deus with 9" & 13" coils

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 am

robin wrote:I think air tests give the same results mostly as actual in field use.

I found this youtube video on gold air tests last week.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No they don`t.
There is nothing conductive (like moist mud!) between the item & the machine.
Hence the oft used phrase "keep the coil to the soil" and that doesn`t matter what machine you use.

Think how much energy it takes for electricity to arc across air compared to touching a live cable.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Pastmember01

Post by Pastmember01 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Well I was thinking about getting another detector to "upgrade" but then watched the video, and other videos on the net, singing the praises of every machine available. When, oh when we will get a properly conducted set of tests (not air test, not made up test bed or recently buried material etc.) that really does compare machines over a variety of situations? I'm sure some machines are better than others but it seems to depend on whether there's an 'r' in the month!
For now I'll stick with my "average" machine that I enjoy using and save a few bob ::g

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”