CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
User avatar
Pifukas
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 3:37 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Pifukas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

kopparberg wrote:hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)


Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Profind-25
Auto+3, Ferrous-Coin, Long Sounds, Auto GB ON.

User avatar
kopparberg
Posts: 8020
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by kopparberg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Pifukas wrote:
kopparberg wrote:hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)
hi m8 thanks for the comments . i really dont think i am geting much depth with my etrac at the moment ,not sure why .but on a rally at the weekend went over some ground really slowly so as not to miss much done it vertically and horizontal .along come a guy with a ctx3030 and pops out 3 roman coins . also some deus 's went over the ground and missed them to . so now i not sure what to do
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

Daniel o' Beirnes
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 pm
Location: Birmingham
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm

kopparberg wrote:
Pifukas wrote:
kopparberg wrote:hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)
hi m8 thanks for the comments . i really dont think i am geting much depth with my etrac at the moment ,not sure why .but on a rally at the weekend went over some ground really slowly so as not to miss much done it vertically and horizontal .along come a guy with a ctx3030 and pops out 3 roman coins . also some deus 's went over the ground and missed them to . so now i not sure what to do
its not the metal detector its the man or girl behind it you have to know how to use it

User avatar
kopparberg
Posts: 8020
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by kopparberg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)
hi m8 thanks for the comments . i really dont think i am geting much depth with my etrac at the moment ,not sure why .but on a rally at the weekend went over some ground really slowly so as not to miss much done it vertically and horizontal .along come a guy with a ctx3030 and pops out 3 roman coins . also some deus 's went over the ground and missed them to . so now i not sure what to do
its not the metal detector its the man or girl behind it you have to know how to use it

well i know how to use the detector but if a coins out of range it doesnt matter what machine you have got .i know the etrac is slow to process thats why i go slow with it give it a chance to process signals before moving on . i am sure that the etrac has a problem as it just doesnt seem to be working as good as last year when i first got it .time for a change i think
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

big andy
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 am
Location: Coventry

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by big andy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Just a quick point in regards to "in air" tests with Minelab.. they have never performed well but excel where it counts. I am still learning the CTX and that's what its all about with any machine there is a plethora of superb advice on the tinternet now so use it and you will not go wrong. ::g
CTX 3030
Explorer SE Pro
Sov GT

PaulL
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by PaulL » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm sorry but I've never really seen the point in air tests , as soon as you get out into the field and get soil between the coil and target signals / numbers change anyway , I remember trying when I first had the etrac and thinking I had a dud , it really wasn't very good , in the field it's an altogether different beast .
paul

User avatar
kopparberg
Posts: 8020
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by kopparberg » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

PaulL wrote:I'm sorry but I've never really seen the point in air tests , as soon as you get out into the field and get soil between the coil and target signals / numbers change anyway , I remember trying when I first had the etrac and thinking I had a dud , it really wasn't very good , in the field it's an altogether different beast .
paul
i think the only real point in air tests is in hearing the tones that are coming back as all targets are slightly different ,that would be the only thing i would be looking for ,
talked about getting a CTX in 2013 and i finally got one in 2015 and i think its the best move i have made as loving it
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

clint
Posts: 3721
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm
Location: Wrexham
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by clint » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm

It's good to resurrect old threads especially as the potential buyers have bought and the newcomers to fbs machines have got some hours under their belts. I have found while running the Etrac in conductive and there's a deep or a target with iron the tone remains good or there's a good tone poking through the noise but the number values drop off..ie. a bronze penny could change from 11:46 to 20+:46 which could deter some from digging.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

User avatar
fred
Posts: 4334
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 1148 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by fred » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 pm

On beaches I am usually looking for targets far deeper than the target or sound ID can possibly even start to identify. Both are reasonable enough on wet pasture though. ::g

User avatar
Fisher1266X
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 pm
Location: Sunny Lancashire
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 294 times
Contact:

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:45 pm

First of all, an apology, sorry for hijacking a Minelab thread being an XP user ;)

As you all may know, I've been a regular on this forum spreading the happiness we call "detecting".
From experience I have come to the conclusion that everyone, whether they be a Minelab, Garrett, Fisher/Teknetics, CScope, XP etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc user....
The truth is... you've gotta walk over it! 99% of our small finds such as Roman coins and hammered penny's come from within the first THREE inches of the field surface.
I've challenged the rest of the PAST team to alert me to a Roman numus or Edward I penny that is deeper than four inches..... in three years that has not happened.
In contrast however, I have called the team over when something IS deep, such as the case of a Roman decorated boss at eighteen inches for example.

So, in essence, you've got to pass the coil over an object that is within the machines capability.
I know that there are so many variables such as mineralisation, soil composition, etc but after my experience with two great detectorists, using the same machine, on the same soil the results tell the outcome:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80501866@N00/sets/

Please enjoy the finds that have come from ZERO to THREE inches from the field surface ;)

Unfortunately, we've been rained off for the last three weeks but hope to be back as soon as the ground dries a little.
Ironically, we have a brand new permission that may be very interesting indeed.....when we can get on it!!! It's in winter wheat at the moment.

Get out there and enjoy the day ::g

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

User avatar
jimbotrucker
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:47 am
Location: goldenhill stoke
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by jimbotrucker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 pm

If you had a ctx you would not be rained off :D
the main part of the ctx apart from the waterproofing is its ability to work on any ground. It can and does pick out good targets next to iron.
It has no problem working on a coke infested site and loves the wet sand.
Minelab ctx 3030.
Quest 40
Blisstool v6
Two mad dogs
Not enough time in fields :-( too far from the beach :-(
Not enough Land :-(

felixferal
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm
Location: Isle of Man
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by felixferal » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Since I've had the CTX I've had a few WOW moments. Just lately an air rifle pellet at 14" I kid you not.
Also this weekend I had an Eddy penny at around 10" (well length of pro pointer and a little bit more).
There was also a very corroded / rusted lump of iron machinery with a bit of copper in it. It gave a clear signal on the copper at again around 10". The copper was inside the iron. Go figure. These signals were all from a very worked out field and I'm digging everything in it, so the usual trash has been cleared out of the top layers of soil, so maybe thats why I'm picking up the deeper signals and I also pretty much always use the 17" coil these days. Even so, very impressed. Basically if you hear even a whisper of a conductive tone, there IS something there. I use a combined pattern with just 4 tones, low for iron, high right for where your big silvers / copper etc usually come in a middle tone (in the middle doh!) and to the left a lower tone for your hammys etc. If you hear iron with a high right tone most of the time it's just iron. If you hear iron with a whisper of a lower or middle tone i dig it. :D
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportsman
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Sportsman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Forget air tests with the ctx or any other machine waste of time ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10619
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:08 pm

This is a very old thread when the machine hadn't been out long and just to give a starting point of what to expect on the display in ideal situations and as a ruff guide. Four years on I still use the CTX as my preferred pasture machine and agree, real world tones can be very different from air testing. Found a gold stator and many hammered with this and some at impressive depths

Dave &*(
Image

robin
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 pm
Location: In the sun :-)
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by robin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I think air tests give the same results mostly as actual in field use.

I found this youtube video on gold air tests last week.

https://youtu.be/o2K_72Lkx_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CTX3030
Excalibur with 15" wot
and a deus with 9" & 13" coils

jcmaloney
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 am

robin wrote:I think air tests give the same results mostly as actual in field use.

I found this youtube video on gold air tests last week.

https://youtu.be/o2K_72Lkx_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No they don`t.
There is nothing conductive (like moist mud!) between the item & the machine.
Hence the oft used phrase "keep the coil to the soil" and that doesn`t matter what machine you use.

Think how much energy it takes for electricity to arc across air compared to touching a live cable.

Pastmember01

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Pastmember01 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Well I was thinking about getting another detector to "upgrade" but then watched the video, and other videos on the net, singing the praises of every machine available. When, oh when we will get a properly conducted set of tests (not air test, not made up test bed or recently buried material etc.) that really does compare machines over a variety of situations? I'm sure some machines are better than others but it seems to depend on whether there's an 'r' in the month!
For now I'll stick with my "average" machine that I enjoy using and save a few bob ::g

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”