CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Dave8472

CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi all, after my first trip out and no clue on the ID numbers I was getting I did an air test on some coins to get an idea, there is sound on the clip but I’m a bit camera shy so it is a bit basic and quite, below is the test material used and approximate ID numbers , Dave ';

Gold
1686 Half Guinea 12.16
1903 Half Sovereign 12.20

Silver
1301 Penny 12.19
N/A Penny Cut Half 12.14
N/A Penny Cut Quarter 12.06
1911 Threepence 12.41
1819 Sixpence 11.43
1820 Shilling 11.45

Copper Alloy
1889 Penny 11.38
1917 Half Penny 12.36
1926 Farthing 12.33
1987 2p 11.46
1971 1p 11.43

Cupro-Nickle
1947 Florin 12.33
1947 Shilling 12.14
1967 Sixpence 12.07

Nickle-Brass
1952 Threepence 12.43

https://youtu.be/ebxfVmd3ISo

ebxfVmd3ISo

Daniel o' Beirnes

Re: CTX 3030 Air Tests - Gold - Silver - Bronze

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm

dave was that in ferrous or conductive

Q M

Post by Q M » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 pm

what do the id numbers range to and from dave ...interesting to see from them tests that anything from 10 to 14 would be all you need to dig to get the goodies ::g
CTX3030

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Q M wrote:what do the id numbers range to and from dave ...interesting to see from them tests that anything from 10 to 14 would be all you need to dig to get the goodies ::g
Hi Alan, Ferrous is 1 to 35, Conductive is 1 to 50

@UB40, think it is in Conductive mode, thats a bit embarrassing as I don't know :D

It is in factory default, coin hunt mode, with just one bar of descrimination, only other changed setting there is ID trail in on

I am just collating the data and will post some pictures of the ID zones

Dave

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Here are the pictures, Dave

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Good info there Dave, thanks for that & a look at it,
Clint ::g

clint

Re: CTX3030 - Air Tests (Gold - Silver - Bronze)

Post by clint » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Hello Dave,
interesting results..re:conductive/ferrous....what setting was it in?The tones all seemed quite "high" so would that be ferrous?As stated that even though there was a slight dip in tone the numbers all seem to be tightly grouped for a broad range of good targets.Are these numbers/tones consistant with buried items?Are the results comparable to the Etrac in terms of numbers/tones or is the Ctx more easy/difficult to understand?

thanks

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:55 pm

clint wrote:Hello Dave,
interesting results..re:conductive/ferrous....what setting was it in?The tones all seemed quite "high" so would that be ferrous?As stated that even though there was a slight dip in tone the numbers all seem to be tightly grouped for a broad range of good targets.Are these numbers/tones consistant with buried items?Are the results comparable to the Etrac in terms of numbers/tones or is the Ctx more easy/difficult to understand?

thanks

Clint
Hi Clint, I am currently running a combined tones pattern, high tone for non ferrous going lower towards the foil zone, and a very low tone there and the same low tone for iron that is not discriminated out. I am still digging lots of iffy signals just to be sure , still learning. I have found very small fragments of scrap copper, air gun pellets, and foil so know I am not missing anything small, but I have a lot to learn with these between iron. Most of my digging since getting the machine has all been relatively near the surface down to about 6 inches, hoping for some more depth in the winter on my pasture. I went from an Explorer, and found the settings and tones it made quite similar. Re the real world detecting on targets in the ground I haven't personally found the bronze/Silver coins to read much different to the air tests. But have yet to find a hammy with it, my own sites have none on so only get to look for them on club digs.
Flossyrockstar wrote:Dave plonk a 2 inch nail next to the targets and try again, the nail will pull the co and fe target numbers all over the place and the crosshair will be pulled down to the bottom RHS.
Thats why we only use a bare minimum of iron discrim. ::g

Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for the tip, must admit I have been using quite a bit of discrimination lately, more than shown in this thread, I have pulled a couple of bronze items out the same hole as an iron nail and agree the signal was lower down, jumping between the two signal types as well. I will knock the level down from now on to see what effect it has, but everything I have dug low down in signal has always just been iron, the only one that really caught me out last month was an air test on another hammered coin that was as far to the left as the display goes, where all the foil shows up, so I won't stop digging those signals lol.

I really like the machine though, easier to swing all day over the explorer, the GPS is brilliant, but I would like a load more options in the exchange software, mainly to import my older GPS logged finds and be able to sort the icons on the left in to a different order.

Dave ';

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Flossyrockstar wrote:I reckon the xchange2 software will be updated as time goes on and some those facilities we ask for will be incorporated into the updates.
I hope so Pete, best to keep it basic to start with as some struggle with computers :))

Forgot to mention, where's the cover for the control box :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

There must be some demand now ? Heard any news on them ?

I have only seen ones in the US and AUS

Dave ';

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

When I get chance Dave I'll do a test on other gold items inc our kid's gold hammy.
Xp deus

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Tomo wrote:When I get chance Dave I'll do a test on other gold items inc our kid's gold hammy.
Thanks Tomo, I only have milled Gold ::g

PS Thanks Pete ;)

Dave ';

3tone

Post by 3tone » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Guys
I'm very interested in the 3030,but have a doubt about its ability to find small gold items.
ie small gold links small hammered maybe

3tone

coinhunteruk

Post by coinhunteruk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:19 am

I am a euro ace user for the moment but looking in upgrading to the ctx , i noticed all the coins where up the higher of the screen going accross from left to right , what would a peice of lead id on the screen for example ?
122 Hammered inc 2 saxon penny & 1 william 1 & Henry 1
1400 roman bronze & 2 silver denarius ( 2x Roman Hoards )
10 roman brooches
1 lump of gold 3.2 grams
6 Celtic Staters
Garrett AT PRO + pin pointer & 17 months detecting !

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm

coinhunteruk wrote:I am a euro ace user for the moment but looking in upgrading to the ctx , i noticed all the coins where up the higher of the screen going accross from left to right , what would a peice of lead id on the screen for example ?
Hi, lead for me very much depends on its size and thickness, it comes in anywhere between where that half hammy penny in shown though to the bottom end of those bronze targets, one of my permissions is full of lead hem weights, and quite offen I can not tell them from a coin, but then I mainly dig on sound rather than display, I only look at the display to confirm a dodgy signal is iron, as this shows up rearly well, with the false iron leach signal shooting down to the base line from the top right zone

Dave &*(

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for that. As a potential buyer for the 3030 I found it most interesting. Are these figures roughly the same for the e trac? ::g

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 pm

3tone wrote:Hi Guys
I'm very interested in the 3030,but have a doubt about its ability to find small gold items.

3tone
take it from me the ctx can find small gold items deep

Philthy Phil

Post by Philthy Phil » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Daniel o' Beirnes wrote:
3tone wrote:Hi Guys

3tone
take it from me the ctx can find small gold items deep

...............and Danny can also find tiddly silver items deep! ;)
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 with 'a few' coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 35
2 metal knees
Trusty Zippo

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 pm

FUBAR wrote:Thanks for that. As a potential buyer for the 3030 I found it most interesting. Are these figures roughly the same for the e trac? ::g
I am not sure but there is an emulator for the etrac so that might help with typical air test results

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... f=98&t=283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 pm

hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 pm

kopparberg wrote:hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
with the etrac in my opinion you have to search in conduct for the low tones with the ctx you can change the tones to suit you .so for me that alone is worth it

Pifukas

Post by Pifukas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

kopparberg wrote:hi guys basically a question for etrac users that have gone over to the ctx 3030 , what in your opinions does the ctx do better than the etrac and does it go deeper than the etrac ,as i have heard conflicting stories that it is not as deep . only asking as i am thinking about changing ,as the missus has given me the go ahead if i want :D
Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Profind-25
Auto+3, Ferrous-Coin, Long Sounds, Auto GB ON.

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Pifukas wrote:
Hi. My brother in law (in Lithuania) got e-trac and his friend got CTX3030. They allways do detecting together and e-track wins nearly everytime. Don't know why. Even I think that my CTX3030 is not as deep as I want it to be. Done some air tests with deus. And deus gets deeper. I even think of getting Deus for myself. I don't have any iron infested sites to see what CTX3030 is really capable of. By the way CTX3030 is really bad on rough ploughed soil...It's your choice ;)
hi m8 thanks for the comments . i really dont think i am geting much depth with my etrac at the moment ,not sure why .but on a rally at the weekend went over some ground really slowly so as not to miss much done it vertically and horizontal .along come a guy with a ctx3030 and pops out 3 roman coins . also some deus 's went over the ground and missed them to . so now i not sure what to do
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm

kopparberg wrote:
Pifukas wrote:
hi m8 thanks for the comments . i really dont think i am geting much depth with my etrac at the moment ,not sure why .but on a rally at the weekend went over some ground really slowly so as not to miss much done it vertically and horizontal .along come a guy with a ctx3030 and pops out 3 roman coins . also some deus 's went over the ground and missed them to . so now i not sure what to do
its not the metal detector its the man or girl behind it you have to know how to use it

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm

its not the metal detector its the man or girl behind it you have to know how to use it

well i know how to use the detector but if a coins out of range it doesnt matter what machine you have got .i know the etrac is slow to process thats why i go slow with it give it a chance to process signals before moving on . i am sure that the etrac has a problem as it just doesnt seem to be working as good as last year when i first got it .time for a change i think
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer

big andy

Post by big andy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Just a quick point in regards to "in air" tests with Minelab.. they have never performed well but excel where it counts. I am still learning the CTX and that's what its all about with any machine there is a plethora of superb advice on the tinternet now so use it and you will not go wrong. ::g
CTX 3030
Explorer SE Pro
Sov GT

PaulL

Post by PaulL » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm sorry but I've never really seen the point in air tests , as soon as you get out into the field and get soil between the coil and target signals / numbers change anyway , I remember trying when I first had the etrac and thinking I had a dud , it really wasn't very good , in the field it's an altogether different beast .
paul

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

PaulL wrote:I'm sorry but I've never really seen the point in air tests , as soon as you get out into the field and get soil between the coil and target signals / numbers change anyway , I remember trying when I first had the etrac and thinking I had a dud , it really wasn't very good , in the field it's an altogether different beast .
paul
i think the only real point in air tests is in hearing the tones that are coming back as all targets are slightly different ,that would be the only thing i would be looking for ,
talked about getting a CTX in 2013 and i finally got one in 2015 and i think its the best move i have made as loving it
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer

clint

Post by clint » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm

It's good to resurrect old threads especially as the potential buyers have bought and the newcomers to fbs machines have got some hours under their belts. I have found while running the Etrac in conductive and there's a deep or a target with iron the tone remains good or there's a good tone poking through the noise but the number values drop off..ie. a bronze penny could change from 11:46 to 20+:46 which could deter some from digging.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

fred

Post by fred » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 pm

On beaches I am usually looking for targets far deeper than the target or sound ID can possibly even start to identify. Both are reasonable enough on wet pasture though. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:45 pm

First of all, an apology, sorry for hijacking a Minelab thread being an XP user ;)

As you all may know, I've been a regular on this forum spreading the happiness we call "detecting".
From experience I have come to the conclusion that everyone, whether they be a Minelab, Garrett, Fisher/Teknetics, CScope, XP etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc user....
The truth is... you've gotta walk over it! 99% of our small finds such as Roman coins and hammered penny's come from within the first THREE inches of the field surface.
I've challenged the rest of the PAST team to alert me to a Roman numus or Edward I penny that is deeper than four inches..... in three years that has not happened.
In contrast however, I have called the team over when something IS deep, such as the case of a Roman decorated boss at eighteen inches for example.

So, in essence, you've got to pass the coil over an object that is within the machines capability.
I know that there are so many variables such as mineralisation, soil composition, etc but after my experience with two great detectorists, using the same machine, on the same soil the results tell the outcome:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80501866@N00/sets/

Please enjoy the finds that have come from ZERO to THREE inches from the field surface ;)

Unfortunately, we've been rained off for the last three weeks but hope to be back as soon as the ground dries a little.
Ironically, we have a brand new permission that may be very interesting indeed.....when we can get on it!!! It's in winter wheat at the moment.

Get out there and enjoy the day ::g

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”