ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

3030 Battery Pack

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Bridex

3030 Battery Pack

Post by Bridex »

CTX3030 batteries (see my post http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 48&t=83377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
So I decided to replace the cells myself, my tools were a soldering iron, a T9 screwdriver, small sidecutters, 2 x 3" of insulated red wire and 1 x 3" of black insulated wire.

The original cells in my battery pack are 3.6v 4400mAh x 4. Replacement Li-ion cells came from a well known auction site were 3.6v 6600mAh x 4, so a +50% capacity. I bought 'tagged' cells which make replacement easier.
The four cells are configured in a series-parallel format to provide the required 7.2v @ 6600mAh capacity.
I noted the polarity of the original cells and then I de-soldered the original batteries from the charge protector which remains in the battery pod. I then arranged my new cells in the series-parallel format soldering the tags and adding the 2 x 3" of red and 1 x 3" of black wire. One red (positive) and one black (negative) wire are connected to the 7.2v output and the other red wire is connected to the 3.6v output - this wire is connected to the positve voltage supply for the charge protector.
Half an hours work and at a cost of £23.99 ............. a saving of over £100 !!

My next project is to replace the battery in my WM10 unit, this battery has its own charge protector built-in so will be much easier to do. The battery for this cost me just £6.78. Now I'm not sure if this is a repairable item, the 3030 battery pack is not, so its probable the WM10 is the same, however replacement of this is £180 - a lot of money if its just the battery!

This is how I repaired my battery pack, it is not a 'how to do it', so I will not accept any responsibility if someone does theirs and it all goes wrong.

Do not attempt this unless you are competent to do so.
si in dubium effodere

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”