Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Adam17
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 pm
Location: Luton
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by Adam17 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 pm

Who charges AA batteries(rechargeable) in the BC10 charger?

Has anyone attempted this?

What was the outcome?

What batteries did you use?


Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030 (6",11" & 17")
Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Hand made Steel Sand scoop (by someone else)
Aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

robbiephoto
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: kirkby liverpool

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by robbiephoto » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 pm

do you mean putting rechargeable in the aa pack and plugging in bc10 if so I've tried it it doesn't work

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6054
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 750 times
Been thanked: 2440 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by fred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:30 pm

robbiephoto wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 pm
do you mean putting rechargeable in the aa pack and plugging in bc10 if so I've tried it it doesn't work
Thanks. I always wondered about that but never got around to trying it out for myself! :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

detectorman5050
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm

I got a CTX last week. I've not read the manual or anything. As soon as I got it, I slotted it together and quickly ran towards the nearest beach. ;))

However, I did notice what looks like a lithium battery pod, and another pod that contains the AA's.

Why is there a battery pod containing what looks like AA batteries?

Why didn't it come with two lithium battery packs?! :-/
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

chip
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by chip » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm

So you can keep some AAs handy for if for any reason it has not charged, or if you had driven two hours to an organised dig before your machine clapped out. A quick trip to the nearest corner shop will see you right. I
Last edited by chip on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6054
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 750 times
Been thanked: 2440 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by fred » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm
I got a CTX last week. I've not read the manual or anything. As soon as I got it, I slotted it together and quickly ran towards the nearest beach. ;))

However, I did notice what looks like a lithium battery pod, and another pod that contains the AA's.

Why is there a battery pod containing what looks like AA batteries?

Why didn't it come with two lithium battery packs?! :-/
Expense probably. Besides one new CTX lithium gives about 14 hours of normal (non backlight or gps) detecting, enough swinging for most people. The AA pod is probably supposed to be your backup. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

detectorman5050
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm
I got a CTX last week. I've not read the manual or anything. As soon as I got it, I slotted it together and quickly ran towards the nearest beach. ;))

However, I did notice what looks like a lithium battery pod, and another pod that contains the AA's.

Why is there a battery pod containing what looks like AA batteries?

Why didn't it come with two lithium battery packs?! :-/
Expense probably. Besides one new CTX lithium gives about 14 hours of normal (non backlight or gps) detecting, enough swinging for most people. The AA pod is probably supposed to be your backup. ::g
I need to have the backlight on at full all the time, and still can't see the screen well under sunlight.

Is this normal (I am presuming it is.)?
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

detectorman5050
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 pm

chip wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm
So you can keep some AAs handy for if for any reason it has not charged, or if you had driven two hours to an organised dig before your machine clapped out. A quick trip to the nearest corner shop will see you right. I
Yeah, I was thinking about that - the corner shop could come in handy under emergency circumstances.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6054
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 750 times
Been thanked: 2440 times

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by fred » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 pm
fred wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm
I got a CTX last week. I've not read the manual or anything. As soon as I got it, I slotted it together and quickly ran towards the nearest beach. ;))

However, I did notice what looks like a lithium battery pod, and another pod that contains the AA's.

Why is there a battery pod containing what looks like AA batteries?

Why didn't it come with two lithium battery packs?! :-/
Expense probably. Besides one new CTX lithium gives about 14 hours of normal (non backlight or gps) detecting, enough swinging for most people. The AA pod is probably supposed to be your backup. ::g
I need to have the backlight on at full all the time, and still can't see the screen well under sunlight.

Is this normal (I am presuming it is.)?
Many people seem to eventually rely on sounds rather than the screen when actually detecting.

During the day Minelab screens have generally been easier for me to see with the backlight switched off. You may need to adjust the angle that you look at it from a bit though. They are also somewhat susceptible to glare during bright sunshine but normally in the UK this isn't anything like as big a problem as the waterproofing. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

robbiephoto
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: kirkby liverpool

Re: Recharging AA batteries via BC10

Post by robbiephoto » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:08 pm

i bought 8 eneloop pro batteries to use in my battery pod used them once to try out they were ok keep them just in case the litheum runs out had the same litheum from new about 4 years still going strong

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”