Post of the Month June 2012

Post of the month will be posted here.
yellow

Post of the Month June 2012

Post by yellow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi to everyone reading this :D

I commented earlier last month that this section will be ongoing from the month of June 2012, and an announcement made as to who I have chosen for the title of Forum Poster of the Month

Due to the amount of suggestions by both forum staff and members alike, I have decided that not only the winner shall be announce but also the "top 3",to show appreciation from us,the staff and admin here at metaldetectingforum.co.uk, for all the time and effort you take in producing some of the quality posts that make this site such a success....

I personally would also like to say thanks the forum staff and members for submitting to me,possible candidates for this award..thus showing that others do really get a lot out of the stuff you write,posts that can sometimes take what seems an age to put together along with detailed descriptions and photographs. ::g

For June 2012

In Third place.....hihosilver's The Ultimate detectorists photographing guide

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 10&t=30060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Second place....Jayreef's Elmtrees Regnalds Hoard

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 24&t=29921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally First place and the title of Post of the Month June 2012 is awarded to egon999's Approaching Farmers in farm vehicles post

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=29635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

egon999 wrote:My job has me visiting building sites on a daily basis and I'm used to navigating areas much travelled by heavy plant. So when I started chasing permissions I kept finding myself in similar situations avoiding tractors and speaking to farmers operating large machines.

So here is a few tips for newcomers like myself who are just starting to visit farms to ask for detecting access and may be put off approaching someone in a farm vehicle.

1. Buy a cheap 'hi-visibility' waistcoat from B&Q or wherever. Visibility from inside the cab of a machine is sometimes limited so you'll be spotted easier. It also looks more professional I think

2. Never assume the driver of a machine has seen you until he actually acknowledges you.

3. If you get no answer at the farmhouse but you spot someone working in a machine nearby then go and stand somewhere where the driver can see you and when he does spot you then raise your hand so he knows you want to speak to him. Whatever you do dont run alongside the machine and hammer on the cab window!! Keep your wave to a single raised arm, if you start waving like a madman he'll think there's a problem and if you don't wave at all he may assume you are a walker and ignore you.

4. If the machine is working within a set area (loading a trailer or stacking bales etc) then watch him for a while to establish the 'danger area' and keep out of it when you are walking to your spot to wave at him.

5. Some farm machinery has better visibility on one side, so try to get yourself to the side where you'll be spotted the easiest.

6. Once you've been spotted, he'll either wave you over or he'll open the cab door. thats your cue to head over.

7. Stand as close to him as you can but NEVER climb on the machine to speak to him. That won't be appreciated

8. Never be put off asking someone in a machine. You should be OK if you start off your conversation with "sorry for disturbing you....." and If you approach them professionally it will hopefully go a long way to convincing them you are a sensible & trustworthy person to have on their land.

This for me gave a lot of members very useful information which they can take to the field with them,and also a probable confidence in assuring to a landowner/farmer that they are both responsible in their approach,but are also sensible folk with a little bit of forethought..something which we should all think about..preparation is the key and if people think your willing to put the effort in,then hopefully they will be more than willing to give you that much needed chance your may need to open up some valuable permissions.... ::g

I have really enjoyed reading Junes posts and hope that your comments and thoughts may inspire others to be able to produce quality posts for us all to take the time to read

Cheers everyone

Yellow [:)
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

Danzigman

Re: Post of the month June 2012

Post by Danzigman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am

Congratulation to the 3 posters =D> =D> =D>
And thanks to "Yellow" and all others involved, for the great job, getting this up and running ::g
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

well done to all ::g ::g ::g

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am

Congrats to all =D> =D> =D> =D>
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

stephenbeetleman

Post by stephenbeetleman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:15 am

Great Job Yellow,

Well put together and congrats to all those who contributed. ::g

Stephen
Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 am

Congrats to all, well deserved ::g
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

Well done to all, some great topics there ::g

Dave ';

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

They were all great posts ...so in my head they all get a tied 1ST ::g ::g ::g
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

yellow

Post by yellow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks for the replies :D and yes agree....big congratulations to the top 3...and everyone who takes the time to post....

Cheers

Yellow c'
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

NeverWntd2Dance

Post by NeverWntd2Dance » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Well done everyone ::g
Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:34 pm

wot apind to my post on lumps of iron ..... a real winnur :-/
Well done Dave and to the winning members, some cracking posts from all over and I appreciate the many hours you spent trawling through so many top class June posts and still doing it again for Julys winning posts ::g
The winning post was my own favourite, really great common sense advice that we can all benefit from, but the others were VERY close behind, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Excellent work Dave ....a job well done and well done to the posters too .... all excellent and hard to choose between...

Jim. ::g ::g ::g

egon999

Post by egon999 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Just had a PM from Yellow telling me I'd won. Its very much appreciated, so thank you very much to yellow and the forum staff. I still feel I have the better half of the deal here as what I've contributed to the site is massively outgunned by the info and entertainment I've taken from it since discovering detecting. I'm glad people found the info I posted helpful.
Peter
Veni Vidi Detecti!

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Your post was one of the best ones I have ever seen. We all think we know a lot until something comes along and then you realise that maybe there is an awful lot to learn ;)
You gave a lot of top class sensible advice that I had not even considered, well done, Liam ::g :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:06 pm

And that is a very cool Avatar ::g

Dave ';

Return to “Forum Post of the Month Archives”