CScope CS1MX First time user

Topics related to CScope metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Cscope Videos
philyabootz

CScope CS1MX First time user

Post by philyabootz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:29 am

Hello.

Firstly I'd like to say what an excellent informative forum you all have here.

I've just purchased my first ever detector shown above and I was just looking for some general help on the initial setup please.

I am planning to start in my mum and dad's field of 3 acres in lincolnshire.

What is the best sensitivity and discrimination to use whilst starting out. I don't want to miss anything whilst I'm starting out so is 3 a good level for the beginner?

Many Thanks

Phil

magnetman

Re: CScope CS1MX First time user

Post by magnetman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:00 am

I would use it with 0 disc and half sensitivity then thumb the disc nob when you get a signal to see where it starts to break up or crackle. Probably best to dig up the first few targets to get an idea of the discrimination positions for different materials. Pretty sure a low disc setting is best on these machines and you will need to decide if you want to dig ringpulls or miss small coins and jewelry.
These are my detectors - they are quite old !!
Garrett Groundhog "Coin Hunter" (VLF/TR Disc c1978)
Compass Coin Hustler (100Khz TR 1974 same age as me)

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:20 pm

no disc dig it all, plenty of time good luck
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

magnetman

Post by magnetman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Another forum member did a thread about the CS1MX

Here

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 70#p591033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::g
These are my detectors - they are quite old !!
Garrett Groundhog "Coin Hunter" (VLF/TR Disc c1978)
Compass Coin Hustler (100Khz TR 1974 same age as me)

philyabootz

Post by philyabootz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for your help and advice.

I can see this group being a real help to me starting out.

Ill keep you posted on my progress...

amphora

Post by amphora » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:43 am

philyabootz wrote:What is the best sensitivity and discrimination to use whilst starting out. I don't want to miss anything whilst I'm starting out so is 3 a good level for the beginner?
Very depending on where you hunt and what you want to find.

In a playground i put my disc up to 6 and if huge amounts of foil up to seven. In this case with the kind of finds no depth loss.
The other option is to dig up 1000's of pieces of foil to not mis one 0,5gr gold earring on more than 6'' about once in long times. I rather leave that one and concentrate on better finds.

Trashy 1500+ sites i mostly got the disc on 4-6. When less trashy then als low as possible but that doesn't happen that often.

When hunting on medieval or earlier then as low as possible while not digging up to much trash.
Mostly somewhere about 2,5 to 4. when on about 3.75 you're starting to loose some depth but ignorable imo.
But if no trash so no lost time on digging on trash then digging everyting is the best. I never had that ultimate situation.

One important thing. I'm not hunting in the UK so situations can be different.
magnetman wrote:Another forum member did a thread about the CS1MX

Here
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 70#p591033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::g
Thanks. That's me. :D

Would love to here experiences back for my help to you/anyone so that i can learn from it too.
Last edited by amphora on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck hunting.

amphora

Post by amphora » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:49 am

amphora wrote:In a playground i put my disc up to 6 and if huge amounts of foil up to seven. In this case with the kind of finds no depth loss.
The other option is to dig up 1000's of pieces of foil to not mis one 0,5gr gold earring on more than 6'' about once in long times. I rather leave that one and concentrate on better finds.
Than again, i've hunted a playground that was hunted many times by many hunters.
Put my disc low and dug much. Lot's of trash, but then again some nice deep forgotten leftover finds came out. =))
Good luck hunting.

amphora

Post by amphora » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:32 am

Tried something already?
Good luck hunting.

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:15 am

Personally i would set the disc control between 3 and 4 to reject most of the junk your likely to find and remember that if you try any in air discrim checks the results are different than on objects in the soil due to soil mineralization.

hope this helps

Andy

philyabootz

Post by philyabootz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:56 pm

amphora wrote:Tried something already?
Yes I've been out once with the detector and loved it. Only found rubbish but the thrill of the dig was great.

I tried various combinations but ended up having the disc on 4 which I felt most comfortable with.

Onwards on upwards

philyabootz

Post by philyabootz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Great help thanks Andy ::g

amphora

Post by amphora » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:30 am

philyabootz wrote:
amphora wrote:Tried something already?
Yes I've been out once with the detector and loved it. Only found rubbish but the thrill of the dig was great.

I tried various combinations but ended up having the disc on 4 which I felt most comfortable with.

Onwards on upwards
Great!

Would you try it on 3.75 once? Just underneath 4 for just some more sensitivity on small finds. That's where i put it mostly.
Eager to hear your experiences. Good luck. ::g
Good luck hunting.

amphora

Post by amphora » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:34 am

andy fraggle wrote:Personally i would set the disc control between 3 and 4 to reject most of the junk your likely to find and remember that if you try any in air discrim checks the results are different than on objects in the soil due to soil mineralization.

hope this helps

Andy
Thanks Andy.
I think there's no exact setting but you'll have to play with it depending on where you hunt.
Where there's a lot of junk you dig yourself broken with disc on 3-4.
Where there's hardly junk it's sad to leave the disc 2.5 finds like small and deep roman or celtic.
The detector works on it's deep with sens as high and disc as low as possible so finding the best possible for each spot is imo the way to do it.
Good luck hunting.

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 am

I tend to set the discrim to 3 when using most of our detectors unless its the CS6MXi as i have found that i get alot of junk when below that setting.

amphora

Post by amphora » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 pm

amphora wrote:Than again, i've hunted a playground that was hunted many times by many hunters.
Put my disc low and dug much. Lot's of trash, but then again some nice deep forgotten leftover finds came out. =))
I will totally subscribe this.
And i subscribe Andy Fraggle's reaction.

It will always be a choise.
Are you willing to find that 0,5 gram earring or pendant and dig 1000 pieces of foil and bear beer bottle caps for it? Because this is what it's going to be with the cs1mx. I choose not to waste so many time to find that on forgotten piece on a very trashy site.
Correction: Yeah, i choose for low disc (even 2 or 0), like i said when useful, like on medieval, roman or celtic sites.

Need to complement this with the fact that everywhere other hunters detected i always find something. Even with slightly high disc.
This ain't always because of the settings but simply because no one can detect every foot and therefore misses spots. Which you did hit this time.

My settings for disc on the cs1mx:
6 - 7 on trashy modern sites.
3,75 - 5 on less trashy sites with serieus opportunity for good and wanted pieces.
0 - 3,75 on celtic, roman and medieval sites (sometimes a bit higher if needed when too trashy). I don't want to miss that small piece of roman or celtic iron, like say a knife or axe.

So depending on what to expect and what you encounter on the spot, as low as effective.
philyabootz wrote:Yes I've been out once with the detector and loved it.
Learn to know your CS1MX. It is worth it. It is a simple but very powerfull detector.
I know top finders who fully conscious regularly let top detectors (like Deus of GMPII) at home and choose for there c-scope and it's achievements. For instance, c-scope's recovery and sensativity can easily compete with Deus or GMPII (although some rather not like to read this). Only it's depth is a minor point.
C-scopes leading point is it's simplicity. Just turn the knobs and within seconds it is perfectly ready for high performances. (can't say that for each detector with complex menu's and many settings which all have to be exact for each minor soil change, or otherwise serieus performance loss).
Good luck hunting.

Steve Dixon1968

Post by Steve Dixon1968 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 pm

I have a CS1MX coming now :)
Already have a Safari & GMP.
Can't wait to try this detector, it's for my daughter to use ;)

Steve

Return to “CScope Forum”