Buying Cscope 4mxi, Worth Saving More for the 6mxi ?

Topics related to CScope metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Cscope Videos
barnabythebear

Buying Cscope 4mxi, Worth Saving More for the 6mxi ?

Post by barnabythebear » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:24 am

Hiya all,

I've just about saved enough for a 4mxi (best online price at £315, seems a good deal), just wanted to ask if anyone thinks there are any compelling reasons to save a bit more and go for the 6mxi. These are on eBay for £499 (new stem version). Are they worth the extra £184??

Ta

Nige.

wick

Re: Buying Cscope 4mxi, Worth Saving More for the 6mxi ?

Post by wick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:56 am

Hi there
I have the 4mx and its a great machine, easy to use, well balanced and it works well.
I got it 2nd hand for about £200 and had no problems with it.
My only criticism of it is it does fell abit limited in your input, you can set the ground balance but to be honest I generally left it in auto, sensitivity to as high as you can, set descrim 1 to about 3 or 4 then descrim 2 a tad higher and off you go.
It only has 1 tone, I started on a ace250 with its 3 tones and it took me a while to get used to just 'beep' and get used to using the descrim 2 to decide if to dig or not.
The 6mx has 3 tones and iron volume, but other than that its much the same from what I can see, I almost brought one because of the tones, not sure why I like having different tones (to be honest the ace and deus are quite often wrong) but its just what I'm used to.
If you can stretch to it I'd go for the 6, but get your head space right and the 4 is a bargain I think.

barnabythebear

Post by barnabythebear » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:57 am

Hiya wick,

Thanks for the input. The three tone function does seem quite cool. Do you ever set your disc 2 quite high? I was thinking that I'd dig based on disc 1 but check if it's a great signal with a high disc 2 - a bit like having a high signal tone on a three tone machine?

ta

Nige.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:50 am

If you are new to the hobby i think a single tone machine will have you digging quite a bit of trash until you master what the machine is telling you.
The benefits of a 3 tone machine means that 1 of those tones you will be able to comfortably ignore when out and about, that will be the Iron tone, the other 2 tones you should always dig as they are in the conductivity area of the targets you are wanting to find.
Unless of course you are in an area where Iron targets would be a worthwhile find then a single tone machine will do you fine.

Maybe give either Cscope a ring (I think one of their guys posts on here) or Give Crawfords a ring who sponsor our forums, you don't have to buy from them but they may give you some good information to base your choice on.
Good luck and keep us informed.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

miss a lot

Post by miss a lot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm

I have used both, for a long time and I would say go for the 6mxi , the 3 tones are handy , good luck

bsabill

Post by bsabill » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi Nige.
Go for the 6mxi. I use a goldmaxx power and 6mxi and find the Cscope just as good as the XP
The Only problems you may find are the New silly straight shaft and a 2 year warranty
Bill

wick

Post by wick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 pm

I find disc 2 sometimes a bit odd, you set 1 to get rid of iron, which it does well, anything after that I tend to dig, you get alot of crap, but even with 3 tones all machines are only giving you a 'what I think it is' which I tend to find is quite often wrong! So in theory if its not iron, dig it I say, especially if your on soft land it takes a minute or so to find your target.
If the land is much harder, I tend to put disc 2 up to about 5 or 6 just to see if its something better, then make a judgement call along the lines of 'can I be bothered', which is usually yes.
Disc 2 gives you a bit more information about what should be there and help you decide if to dig, the only way to be sure is dig it.
1 thing I didn't mention before is the machine gives faint signals as well, kinda half bleeps if its scrappy target, the ace 250 doesn't do that, its either there or not. Chasing the faint signals is more fun and adds another element to your detecting, and occasionally a nice find as well!
Also forgot to mention the coil is great, goes quite deep and any target is slap bang in the middle, easy to find, pinpoint on these machines is a bit pointless I think.

wick

Post by wick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Sorry, rambling on
In answer to your question, yes, set discrim 2 higher then that will act as your high tone signal, but obviously will sound the same as any other signal.
So in theory you can set it the same as a 3 tone machine, set disc 1 to get rid of iron (3 is fine on fairly clean ground, maybe 4/5 if its very trashy) and you wont hear these. If it beeps then its a possible good target, if you want to know a bit more set disc 2 to about 2 or 3 steps higher than disc 1, again depending on the ground and there's your high tone conductors (if it beeps)
Easy, dont know why I struggled to get my head round it for so long!
Having said that alot of people say hammereds can give the same signals as foil (mine have always been nice solid high tones, but maybe I'm lucky, of have left alot behind!) so you want to keep the settings as low as you can generally, but accept you'll dig more rubbish. That's the trade off, a finds bag full of foil or risk leaving some better targets behind.
Personally it depends on the soil usually for me, I dont mind more digging, even if it is another shotgun cap, one day it'll be something good!

barnabythebear

Post by barnabythebear » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Hiya,

Thanks for the detailed responses. I think the 4mxi would do me well and save me some money. I just wondered if the 6 had some sort of killer feature that made it stand out over the 4mxi. I think the 4 certainly looks an easier machine to use :)

Thank you

nige.

barnabythebear

Post by barnabythebear » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Hiya again,

Just a quick update! I have just bought a second hand cs6mxi for £250.00 so now quite exited to get out and try it. I will hopefully have my first permission from a farmer friend of mine too :)

ta,

Nige.

wick

Post by wick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:23 am

Bargain mate, you cant go wrong
Good luck with the permission

Return to “CScope Forum”