Cscopes over the years best models one's to avoid.

Topics related to CScope metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Cscope Videos
type91

Cscopes over the years best models one's to avoid.

Post by type91 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 am

When I first started detecting in the early 1970s when I was a kid, I started out with the basic model and then ventured out with another upgrade a VLF.TR 770D in the early 80s, still have the detector today. Since then there have been many models, but what are the ones to avoid and the ones that were good trusty models that were talk of the town and the ones to go for at the time that everyone raved for and over the years to date.
I can remember that the VLF.TR 770D took 4 9 volt batteries and was an expensive venture when I took it out now and then but saying that it done the job and I found a good many things with it. It would be nice to see the models that made cscope's name today.

sweepstick47

Re: Csopes over the years best models one's to avoid.

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello 'type91' ::g Your post is bound to raise nostalgia in many on the forum. ::g Just as many will also recall that Cscope or Candle International, as it was known In those early days, was one of several manufacturer to produce machines with a huge control box. Perhaps it was to create the impression that it was crammed full to the brim with masses of 'cutting edge' technology!

The early components used at the time, placed a heavy demand on batteries and it was common to find a number of detector models required several batteries for effective operation. One such,was the Garrett 'Groundhog' 1977/78 which I thought was the bee's knees at the time which took 4 PP3 9 volt cells, with carriers in the battery box for 2 more as spares!

I believe that most if not all the 'crook' handle Cscopes required a pair of PP6 batteries which weighed the equivalent of about 8/10 of the current (no pun intended) PP3 9 volt batteries available today. My old 1974 Cscope TR 620 D took two of them!!

I think the prize for having one of the biggest control boxes of any detector of that period, has to go to the Compass X200 Challenger, an innovative American arrival featuring motion/non- motion options which I've seen used (but not for long) with a huge 18 inch solid DD coil! The price too, was as hefty as the machine!

Looking back, it speaks volumes of the British metal detector manufacturing industry, that so many of them have not only survived their 'cottage industry' beginnings but earned the respect of users world wide whilst remaining successfully competitive in the international market.

I believe that 'old' detectors are bought, in the main, as 'collectables' of a bygone time perhaps for reasons of nostalgia so I don't feel it's appropriate to list any that should be avoided (also forum etiquette precludes it) . I personally love them but have no space to display them.........however, a they would be great talking point as a club display at rally's and the like.

I Wonder what Liam's thoughts would be on that one!! :-O
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

I also had a crook handled Cscope in the 70's. Very good machine but, as already said, with the batteries it was a bit of a brick and not that well balanced either.
I revisited Cscope a few years ago and bought a Newforce. (Early 2000's)....I suppose I felt nostalgic and a club member was selling one and I was looking for something more punchy and couldn't afford a Minelab.
Bloody awful experience. I remember a club dig where I was so frustrated with it I threw it to the ground and marched back to the car without it to get my backup machine. My hubby and a few of the other lads were viewing this performance from the other end of the field and found it highly amusing. They didn't come any closer though.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm

First machine was a C-Scope BFO 50? Followed by a C-S induction balance IB 300, neither had usable discrimination and loved foil and large nails, after chopping in the IB300 I purchased a used crook handled VLF950D, this was my main machine from 1979-90, you had to keep pressing the retune button on the end of the grip as the threshold would wander off after a while, and especially so on the beach.

I don't think it was very deep and it responded to iron by going silent and the meter deviating to the left, that said being a non motion machine it was rather good in iron and found me many memorable items over the years.
Last edited by Ten pence! on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm

littleboot wrote:I also had a crook handled Cscope in the 70's. Very good machine but, as already said, with the batteries it was a bit of a brick and not that well balanced either.
I revisited Cscope a few years ago and bought a Newforce. (Early 2000's)....I suppose I felt nostalgic and a club member was selling one and I was looking for something more punchy and couldn't afford a Minelab.
Bloody awful experience. I remember a club dig where I was so frustrated with it I threw it to the ground and marched back to the car without it to get my backup machine. My hubby and a few of the other lads were viewing this performance from the other end of the field and found it highly amusing. They didn't come any closer though.
Don't blame 'em!! :)) :)) Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:26 am

CS5-MXP is a cracking machine........ and was my first. Bought it from a guy at work who had upgraded to an Explorer....... sold it on 2 years later at a profit as well! ::g
Once you got the hang of its dual discrimination it certainly found stuff, only downside is that it was rather weighty!
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:36 am

We still get a fair number of older machines in for service\repair. Its good to see people still having great success with their old machines. The CS1220B, CS1220XD, PROMET and METADEC detectors are still highly thought of by their owners.

Andy

type91

Post by type91 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 am

Quite interesting to read that the old machines still live up to their name. It may be all well and good to go for a up to date bells and whistles machine, been looking at the new stuff but they seem quite complicated where as a simple machine can do the job. A good all rounder would do me.

type91

Post by type91 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:45 am

What are Cscope repair services like, just wondered if I bought a Cscope I could send it away and get it serviced.

weeder

Post by weeder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:00 pm

unbeatable ::g
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

talljive

Post by talljive » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

I loved my little BFO 50 with the solid zimmer frame style handle in the late 1970s...it lasted me 5 years before I switched to the C Scope VLF/TR 770D.

Never really got on with that newer machine as I couldn't stabilize it even using the red recall button on the top. Lots of fun to reminisce though...
XP Deus with flying remote, Garrett 150, CScope VLF/TR 770d, CScope BFO 50 (1980s!)

scruff

Post by scruff » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Still have my BFO 100, and works perfectly

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 pm

My mate still uses a C scope K5000, which he informs me came in kit form and he had a friend assemble it for him, he only does beaches, this was circa 1973. When I say he has found hundreds of rings it is not an understatement along with a Henry VIII Noble, so you can see why he has confidence in his "vintage" machine.
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

fred

Post by fred » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am

Obviously I am not the only old fart on here. I mostly used CScopes for my first years of detecting and had some cracking finds. I particularly remember having a coil the size of a dustbin lid with all the sensitivity concentrated in an area about 4 inches across. :D

Much later I won a 1220B at a rally and that was an awsome machine in the London parks. I also well remember the Compass X200 Challenger mentioned earlier. It really was an unwieldly and complicated beast but it could punch very deep indeed and it could also discriminate out pull tabs with pinpoint accuracy.

It is worth remembering the support that C Scope have given to the hobby over the years, particularly during times when it was under threat. It may be no exaggeration to say that without them metal detecting as we enjoy it today would probably not even exist. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am

I had a 6mxi for a while second hand. Couldn't get on with it it would sound off on stubble, turned Sen s down but then got into my head won't get any depth on stubble with low sens and doing a rally near a raised electric train line you could tell about 10 seconds before the train woz coming due to interference. Could have been that's why it won second hand. Prob just my luck.

Steve Dixon1968

Post by Steve Dixon1968 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am

I have a CS1MX as a back jup machine for when it rains heavily.
Works great but loves coke B|

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

My opinion the best current model that they make and certainly value for money is not a VLF but the CS4PI Pulse,terrific value if you do alot of beach detecting,regarding the other current model range they are a very similar company as what Tesoro have evolved into.Everyone has fond memories of these old classic detecting companies and both give about the best customer service in the detecting industry.

But and yes always a 'but' as i see it they have not moved with the times,out of say every 1000 detectors sold how many folks actually buy a C-Scope these days ?? they have fond memories from decades ago but you dont hear folks clambering and putting down substantial deposits for a machine that no member of the public as yet have used,apart from selected review folks.

I did buy and use a C-scope in the early 90s and still have it up in the loft and it did work,but lacked something.Must admit was tempted by getting a CS5 MX or what ever it was called,but that was as far as it got just thinking about it.
Trident11 http://www.hideones.info TDI Pro

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Ah, looking back. I too had a VLF 950TR C-Scope in the late 70's. I had been using it for a couple of years not knowing it was faulty until someone from out of the County came on one of our permissions with the same machine. C-Scope repaired it for free even though it was out of warranty. Didn't find a great deal back then and soon sold it on and built a kit car as a new hobby. Started detecting again in 2011 but thats a different story.
Always enjoy a bit of nostalgia tho'.

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

i had a 3mxi good machine and easy to use.
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

i had a 3mxi good machine and easy to use.
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Many years ago I purchased a second hand CS5MX, the depth performance was really good and overall build quality was great!, I basically changed my machine because I thought the grass was greener on the other side but shortly realised I wish I just stuck with it.
Regardless of performance the longer you use a machine the more at one you become with it and at that point get the very best from it ::g
mrix

Twit

Re: Cscopes over the years best models one's to avoid.

Post by Twit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Cs4pi is a great salt/wet beach detector for its price, if you are happy wih pi anyway. To get near its ability but with better disc. you would have to spend several times as much.

mikejh

Re: Cscopes over the years best models one's to avoid.

Post by mikejh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 am

I had a 1220b and a 6 PSI cracking machines uotdo most of today's lineup
Makro Multi Kruzer
Evolution Stainless spade
Evolution digging blade.
Long handled sand scoop

looksold

Post by looksold » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 am

Junior wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am
I had a 6mxi for a while second hand. Couldn't get on with it it would sound off on stubble, turned Sen s down but then got into my head won't get any depth on stubble with low sens and doing a rally near a raised electric train line you could tell about 10 seconds before the train woz coming due to interference. Could have been that's why it won second hand. Prob just my luck.
i have a cscope cs6mxi and i find the opposite, i ALWAYS run on max sensitivity and this is the machine i use for bashing through stubble and it runs silent !!! has standard coil . i have two other makes but still love this cs6 that i purchased secondhand over 5 years ago. i do tend to swap between my machines as to what mood i am in but straight after harvest with stiff stubble out comes the cscope. i have not adjusted the settings for years.
i actually used it on sunday (in soft stubble) and found the elagabalus denarius that i posted up on monday!!
i would never sell it.

Return to “CScope Forum”