Anyone Tried PP3 Li-ion rechargeable batteries?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
Fusion

Anyone Tried PP3 Li-ion rechargeable batteries?

Post by Fusion » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Edit:
The Original Poster, Backache, asked:
"My Fisher F4 detector takes 2 x 9V PP3 type batteries. In the past I did try NiMH rechargeables but with only limited success. They were either faulty, the charger was faulty or at best they only lasted a couple of hours in use, despite manufacturers claims.

I just wondered if anyone had tried the more modern rechargeable Lithium type PP3's."

My reply:
There's a couple of relevant forum threads here:
viewtopic.php?f=253&t=71681

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90590

If your machine is a Fisher F4, you've obviously got a problem with your batteries/charger, because I found my F2 lasted many hours (over 15hrs ?) on a pair of 160mAh NiMH's. I'm assuming you're using headphones, if you're using the loudspeaker, you will get a lot less life. The other possibility is there's a fault with the machine, and it's draining the batteries when its switched off. It doesn't have a proper ON/OFF switch, some of it is powered up continuously. I have heard of other people having issues with this power control function, a common one is the inability to turn it off once you've turned it on. And water ingress (especially salt-water) could also disturb the power drawn.
Last edited by Fusion on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

:(

Easylife

Re: Anyone Tried Li-ion rechargeable batteries

Post by Easylife » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:50 am

I once used some Li-on camcorder batteries on a detector, mounted outside the box but lightweight. You need to check the actual voltage operating range of your detector. They worked well, quite cheap and came from China with charger! :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”