Li. Po. Batteries in Metal Detectors - "a question"

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
Bootneck45RM

Li. Po. Batteries in Metal Detectors - "a question"

Post by Bootneck45RM » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi all
Am considering upgrading my detector, which may mean going from standard batteries to li.po. which seems to be the power source of choice in many new detectors. I already use 3000c cell batteries in my U.A.V. (quadcopter) and am very aware of the dangers they represent i.e:
Don't leave them charging on their own - at least be around to unplug when finished.
Make sure the correct charger is used and the batteries are balance charged so all cells are equally changed.
Don't overheat.
Don't use if undercharged.
Be aware they can present a fire risk which can be difficult to extinguish.
I am presuming; and may be wrong on this, that this may apply to any li.po. battery used in a detector.
I appreciate that a malfunctioning battery whilst in flight represents a different problem to one that occurs in/on a field or beach.
So ! - my question is: are they safe to use and charge and are they different in any way to a model aircraft/u.a.v. li. po. battery.?
One of the major probs I have found is that pre charging the battery and then perhaps being unable to use it (and thus having to leave it fully charged) is not to good for their life span.
Perhaps I am overcomplicating things but when the replacement cost is close to £100 I am factoring this into the ultimate choice.
If anyone has used li.po's for any length of time on a detector, I'd be grateful for any responses.
Many thanks in advance.
Len R.

Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Wansdyke44

Re: Li. Po. Batteries in Metal Detectors - "a question"

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Batteries have improved alot in the last 20 odd years. Lithium Polymer batteries don't have the recharge memory issues that older Lead acid/Ni Cad batteries used to have. The dangers are there for your information and are the "standard" supplier/customer information that they have to tell us users nowadays.

Whichever type of machine you upgrade to will have advice on what types of batteries to use and charging etc. As long as items aren't left charging unattended on a surface that might get hot itself then you ought to be ok.

W [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”