Heated jackets

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
benny

Heated jackets

Post by benny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi all does anyone detect in a battery operated heated jacket? If so have you experienced any interference problems with your detector or pinpointer? Cheers. Benny

mrix
Founder

Re: Heated jackets

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Benny, I was not aware there are heated jackets :-O B-)
Will be interesting to read any replies on members using these ::g
Cheers
mrix

nellyt5

Post by nellyt5 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:02 pm

never tried one , but my mate wears one on his motorbike in the colder months, I don't need one because my bike wont see the light of day until april, and only then if its dry.....I know,i know I'm a pussy
xp adventis 2 & ws1,s

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:21 pm

benny wrote:Hi all does anyone detect in a battery operated heated jacket? If so have you experienced any interference problems with your detector or pinpointer? Cheers. Benny
Why bother? Check out some websites to do with hill walking and the like, lots of information about breathable fabrics, layering etc, had a read up myself a few years ago and never have any problems with cold weather, except of course with fingers and sometimes feet which is due to the nature of what we are doing.

miss a lot

Post by miss a lot » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm

hi mate i have this one , been using it for 2 years now no prob I know its a bit much on the old funds
but I love it
https://www.metabo.com/com/en/tools/cor ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm

I was given by a wholesaler a Makita heated jacket that works off the batteries I use for my cordless power tools on the building sites, I think there around £150 to buy,
it's OK if stood or sat in one place outside doing work where your not moving much like outside lighting or underground cable joints,
I used it once for detecting, had no interference with my E-trac, but after digging a few holes I got too hot & had to take battery out, so better just layering up & taking a top off if getting hot,
The heated jacket gets used more by Dad field walking for surface find clues on new detecting sites, it has 3 heat settings, low, medium & high, with a18volt lithium battery lasting from 3 to 7 hours ish depending on heat setting.
Clint ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Very interested in these as I do a lot of walking in all types of weather and even though I wear many layers including thermal cloths it still gets very cold and uncomfortable, this type of clothing sounds ideal ::g B-)
Thanks
mrix

frogeye

Post by frogeye » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:25 pm

I think the cordless type would be the best option for metal detecting or walking the peaks ::g

Could be a pain if your restricted by a mains lead :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 pm

This is an interesting subject and my own view is that I doubt if I would find it practical for (my) detecting. I've often set off for a session in the cold early mornings, suitably attired in layered clothing, only to find the sun at mid-morning warms up to the extent that a layer needs to be removed -awkward enough!!. I would imagine that a heated jacket would take some considerable time to cool sufficiently for personal comfort.

I can see that in Angling for example, it would be a distinct advantage over the 'normal' range of clothing often worn by anglers/detectorists. I just feel that it would not suit my detecting and would probably be at odds when using a harness or wearing waist-belt equipped with Finds Pouch, Drink Carrier, Spade and Digging Knife etc.as they would be mounted over the jacket for ease of access.

For example, for a full days detecting, I also carry a lightweight back-pack adapted to include a full Harness which bears two 'hook-on' points for carrying my S/S Evo Digger, Chest-mount point for control box, (Goldmax P), Med Kit, Rations, Batteries, spare back-phones and coil bolt. So whilst I can see it will certainly be of benefit to some, given the right conditions and circumstances it probably wouldn't suit all. Regards ss47
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

benny

Post by benny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi mrix, there are many makes of heated jacket available, i personally am buying one from "makita" as i already have the batteries and charger, the 18v version can last c11hrs on low setting to around 5hrs on high, if you google these on say ebay it will give performance details and temperatures that can be achieved, they are around the £150 mark excluding batteries and charger, but with a chest condition that i have i personally feel its worth it. regards Benny

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi Benny, I can be out sometimes walking all day and find whatever I wear the cold gets the better of me within a few hours and it does becomes uncomfortable on very cold days, would be nice to have the option to be able to warm a jacket up throughout the day ::g
I think I`ll have to try one of these at some point soon. :)
Thanks
mrix

DAVYBFAST

Post by DAVYBFAST » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 am

I think maplins did a heated body warmer but don't know if they are any good

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 am

Keep in mind that most heated jackets only have a couple of heated panels on the chest and lower back; it's not the whole jacket. I've used heated jackets for years on bikes and in that case you really need the better ones with the whole jacket heated. What also seems to help is the jacket then has an overall metalised internal layer that reflects the heat back inside i.e. you want to trap the heat you've generated. Mind you, heat gets lost quickly in a 70mph wind. To that end, good wrist cuffs and a close but comfortable neck. And big jackets are fine but they shed heat from the loose waist every time you bend over.
For thermals you can't beat good old M&S. The uber expensive extreme kit doesn't come out any better for performance unless you are heading to Everest and then I think the ground would be a little firm!
If you buy heated jackets it needs to be a piece of kit you you want to wear even when turned off.

benny

Post by benny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 pm

thanks for all the comments and advice,my makita jacket arrives tomorrow. I will post as to my findings.Thankyou all. Benny

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:48 pm

My other half has an eccentric taste in clothes and also expensive, so when she came home two years ago and said she had bought me a jacket in a charity shop for £7, it was with some trepidation that I opened the bag. Inside was an amazing jacket, none other than a ‘Le Chameau ‘ country jacket which has been my winter detecting attire ever since. I went online and found the same one for £450.00. It really is a beauty and the quality outstanding, however we had a battle, as she wanted it back to put on e-bay when she realised.

I have just come back from a three hour trip and the winter sun had so much warmth I was down to a T shirt for half of the hunt, living in the Southwest does have some advantages as it is years since I have seen snow, I could not imagine wearing a heated jacket, but then again I am not a motorcyclists.
JC

benny

Post by benny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi again, these "heated jackets" are deemed as workware, what the individual would use them for is up to them, eg motorcycling, my original post was to ascertain as to whether any had used one whilst detecting and suffered interference on their detecting equipment, folks we seem to have deviated from that question. but they are clearly an item that some may consider. Again thanks Benny

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

benny, will be good to see your report. I can't think why they would interfere as you can detect near to other detectors, under power lines etc. I know I can pick up the train on one of my perms! I presume it's a simple direct current presumably with a very small magnetic field. I would have thought if there is a problem you would only notice when you bend down close to the coil but I doubt it.

When you do your review can you add what it's like to wear as a general jacket (cuffs, waste riding up, neck etc.) and access to pockets. Is it shower/waterproof to wear on its own? Also, the arms aren't heated so do you need more on top - thanks.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Here's Pink Floyd's version of the heated jacket! :D :))

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

frogeye

Post by frogeye » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm

What do you call a jacket on fire ? A Blazer :D

benny

Post by benny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm

even a new film "DEUS BURNING"!!!!!. Benny

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”