Which GPS?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
Post Reply
User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1132 times
Been thanked: 2411 times

Which GPS?

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 pm

):= I'm quite out of touch with modern GPS units as my trusty old Garmin Etrex-H has served me well for recording my tracks and find spots on Google earth so far. It's very reliable but uses a serial/USB cable which makes for a quite slow data transfer rate of 9600 baud to the PC. I first transfer all data to Garmin MapSource, then view and save in GE which works just fine. Though I am not sure if newer devices need BaseCamp or can open directly to GE?

But now I am thinking that I might like to go over certain gaps where my plotted tracks on GE show that I missed a bit. So if my previous tracks were displayed in colour on a GPS unit in the field to guide me to these gaps whilst it plotted my current track in a contrasting colour it would make navigation very easy. The Etrex H is only accurate to 3 metres on a good day and about 5 metres on a very cloudy day, but probably the same as most others.

So my question is which GPS units could you recommend to meet my above requirement of showing older tracks in one colour whilst displaying the live track in another colour? Or is there a better way? x;


Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Danzigman
Posts: 12453
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am
Location: Denmark - island of Fyn (Funen)
Has thanked: 248 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Danzigman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I have the Etrex 20.. Well happy with that. You can put in estra maps in the 20 but the cheeper 10 cant. I always go truned on to track an tracelog to 10 sek.
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1132 times
Been thanked: 2411 times

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 am

Danzigman wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm
I have the Etrex 20.. Well happy with that. You can put in estra maps in the 20 but the cheeper 10 cant. I always go truned on to track an tracelog to 10 sek.
Thanks John, I was considering the Etrex 20 or 20X. Shorter log intervals will make a more accurate track. I'll see if it will suit my needs. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Danzigman
Posts: 12453
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am
Location: Denmark - island of Fyn (Funen)
Has thanked: 248 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Danzigman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 am
Danzigman wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm
I have the Etrex 20.. Well happy with that. You can put in estra maps in the 20 but the cheeper 10 cant. I always go truned on to track an tracelog to 10 sek.
Thanks John, I was considering the Etrex 20 or 20X. Shorter log intervals will make a more accurate track. I'll see if it will suit my needs. ::g
I was not aware of an other model 20X.. So what you say is that you can get closer log than 10 sek..
Nice -thanks..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1132 times
Been thanked: 2411 times

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 pm
Easylife wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 am
Danzigman wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm
I have the Etrex 20.. Well happy with that. You can put in estra maps in the 20 but the cheeper 10 cant. I always go truned on to track an tracelog to 10 sek.
Thanks John, I was considering the Etrex 20 or 20X. Shorter log intervals will make a more accurate track. I'll see if it will suit my needs. ::g
I was not aware of an other model 20X.. So what you say is that you can get closer log than 10 sek..
Nice -thanks..
I think it can do 1 second track logs.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 11112
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Just for info Garmin via Basecamp have officially stopped supporting thier software to open it directly to Google Earth. There used to be a 3rd party patch to get it working if it stopped. Since the Google Earth Pro launch it has been abandoned. (64bit)

You now have to save the information as a KML file and then import from within Google Earth.

PS the open in GE link is still embedded in Basecamp for some reason. If you Google it there are quite a few posts on the exporting problem.

For info I use the Etrex 10 (black and white) as don’t use any maps etc. I just store the find points and tracks. I do all my work in Google Earth.

Also if looking at the ones with maps, check out the price of the maps before getting a unit, they are well expensive.

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Post Reply

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”