GPS grid formats

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
Mick the Mole

GPS grid formats

Post by Mick the Mole » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 am

Hi Could anyone out thier provide with information on what would be a good GPS for collecting my grid references when i am out in the field, i am looking to log grids on save bags and write grid onto bag with its find, i will then plot maps and load information when i gat back home
best regards Mick the Mole

mrix
Founder

Re: GPS grid formats

Post by mrix » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am

Hello and welcome Mick the Mole :)
To be honest I have no idea but sounds a great idea at that B-)
Good luck
mrix

glitteremma

Post by glitteremma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:36 pm

oooh sounds like a lot of hard work :)

nicolaz

Post by nicolaz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:48 pm

o.m.g youve lost me, but i bet your gonna have some fun
regards nicky :))

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend which i use for geocaching and this is a great GPS for doing what you suggested.... although any other GPS would do the job, what i like about the etrex is its a simple press one button machine and then you can name what you found.

Andi

Trikeaholic

Post by Trikeaholic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,
I have a couple of GPS units, First is my Garmin Vista CX nice and small and allows quick marking of Grid Ref, but the best unit I have is the SatMap Active 10 (Britsh Company), this allows you to enter Lines of Interest (LOI), and if you want to setup a proper Grid search, you can make the search grid any size you want, each square is given an id, so if it is a group search, areas can be allocated.
Also if you have a permission, (AOI, Area Of Interest) you can mark each border and then cross hatch it to see exactly where you can go, The map that comes with it is very basic, But I purchsed All of G.B. O.S at 1:50,000, this map does for me, but you can buy 1:25,000 but not seen it available for the whole UK in one card.
Here is the link http://www.satmap.co.uk
Last edited by Trikeaholic on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Comes Alone, But Where Are The Other Three...
Garrett Euro Ace, Garrett Pro Pointer, Black Ada Invader II Long Trowel.

rustynick

Post by rustynick » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Mick, welcome.
If you have a smart-phone, what about an App for it (are they any good :-/ )
My phone ain't that smart yet :(
Waiting for the kids cast-off's ;)

norfolk and chance

Post by norfolk and chance » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Mick. I have a Nokia N8 and use the Viewranger app. Acurate and free :D . Have a look if you can.
Joss
Fisher F75 SE

The men in my family are strong because the women in my family kill and eat the weak ones.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:32 pm

I use the most basic Garmin Etrex, its absolutely fine for what you want and you can pick them up for £30 odd quid 2nd hand ::g , if i want to use it as your saying, i take numbered bags with me and just mark a waypoint starting at 1 and going up to however many finds you make, if you have your bags in order it takes literaly a couple of seconds to do .
When you get home, just read off the grids and mark up the finds, easy peasy.
If you want to keep some findspots on the unit (which is a good idea if you are looking for pattens and hotspots), then just rename the waypoint, again it takes just a few seconds (but better to do it at home to maximise your search time) , hope this helps Mr Mole :D :D :D ::g

Biglewey

Post by Biglewey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Been looking at this myself.

Memory map 2800 is a bargain at 200 quid - gets mixed reviews but I think its OK.

Want it for going walking mainly and it saves using map and compass but i think it includes a fucntion for saving points - going to look into it.

One thing that I notice is many hand held GPS have accuracy as a few metres up to 10 metres. Being even a few metres away from a find in the middle of a field is a lot ??? I think they are prob better than that but manufacturers say the worst to protect themselves.....
CTX 3030 and Garrett Pro-Pointer. Garrett ACE 250 and AT PRO as spare.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Just for info this is an old topic, the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2009 :-O

Dave ';

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Dave8472 wrote:Just for info this is an old topic, the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2009 :-O

Dave ';
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Oh well, hope what i wrote is interesting to somebody =)) =)) Well done Dave ::g Not so well done Trikeaholic =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

It nearly caught me out, I follow the GPS topics, and thought I don't remember that one :)) it was even before I joined the forum or started detecting

Dave ';

Trikeaholic

Post by Trikeaholic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi, You must have found it of interest, or there would not have been any more addition...
If your GPS has EGNOS or WAAS then the acuracy is even greater... WAAS for the States and EGNOS for mainly South of England, but can be received up here.

OK Dave on the age of post, I think I got carried away reading through the whole list on line..
Cheers All... On My Trike..
One Comes Alone, But Where Are The Other Three...
Garrett Euro Ace, Garrett Pro Pointer, Black Ada Invader II Long Trowel.

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”