what app do people use?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
dconn

what app do people use?

Post by dconn » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 pm

as title says im wondering what app if any do people use on there mobile phones to record finds. Something that records the location and takes a photo would be good.

EuroTek Pro 11"" DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer
XP Backphones

slowsweep

Re: what app do people use?

Post by slowsweep » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 pm

i have the Minelab app on my android, it can be used with any make and model of machine and its FREE ::g
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I made a video of this app that maybe give you an idea ::g
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
mrix

dconn

Post by dconn » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

the minelab app sounds great but looking at the reviews there a gps problem when it saves your location its way out? have you had this problem?
EuroTek Pro 11"" DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer
XP Backphones

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Ive been using the viewranger app on my iPhone.Theres no option to add a photo but you can add a POI (Point of interest) where you can add a title to each find and then it makes a dot on a chosen map of the area you are detecting in.
Never give up on ANY field..they really don't make them anymore….

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:46 pm

I use pin drop
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

Gary Huston

Post by Gary Huston » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 am

I've tried most of them and none seem much good. The Minelab one as said above is way out, even putting things in different fields ;;z
None are accurate enough to plot individual finds if you have a productive site, they all end up on top of each other, If you only find one item per field maybe.. Also if you use any of them to plot your track so you can see where you have been, your phone will be dead in a little over a couple of hours!! They eat batteries, as yet I've not found one I would bother to use. I just memorise roughly where it was found and add it to google earth when I get home ::g

Norfolk_Craig

Post by Norfolk_Craig » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:01 am

I use Marine Weather by Blue Fin (Android) great for tide times... etc
CTX 3030
AKA Signum MFT

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:04 am

dconn wrote:the minelab app sounds great but looking at the reviews there a gps problem when it saves your location its way out? have you had this problem?
no, its always been pretty good but i havent used it in a long time so it could be knackered :-/
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

ZARABOY

Post by ZARABOY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:10 am

I use Backcountry Navigator Pro for Android. There are lot of options like track the the route, creating way-points with different symbols and easy export the *.kml file to be open on the PC via Google Earth for example.

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Anyone used the "find plotter" app .. It's £2.49 but no reviews .. I'm put off by the reviews of the minelab version due to it being inaccurate

Thanks
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

mathewbarrett

Post by mathewbarrett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Trojan wrote:i am in the process of programming a new app for metal detectorists

should be finished this week,

Can't wait to give it a try! ::g
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Evolution Spade
Evolution digging knife
Green Wellies

Davelambo

Post by Davelambo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Rubbing my hands in anticipation. \:D/

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:57 pm

"i am in the process of programming a new app for metal detectorists"

This sounds like just what we need, well done Trojan - cant wait to try this out! :;@
si in dubium effodere

dconn

Post by dconn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Sounds good only problem is I'm on iphone :/
EuroTek Pro 11"" DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer
XP Backphones

Gary Huston

Post by Gary Huston » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm on iPhone too, so look forward to that version.
Will it be more accurate than the rest i've tried and be able to plot finds within a couple of feet of each other? Also, all I have tried so far eat battery life as it's always working in the background. Last one I tried killed my battery in two and a half hours, no good on a 6 hour dig ;;z I don't really want to keep switching it on and off each time I find something with muddy fingers. :D
Really looking forward to trying it out though ::g ::g

Harpic

Post by Harpic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Looking forward to this, nice xmas pressie ::g
Deus
Garrett At Pro-Pointer

Gary Huston

Post by Gary Huston » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Trojan wrote:

I don't really want to keep switching it on and off each time I find something with muddy fingers. :D

you wont have to, im adding a series of voice commands so you can just tell it what to do, take picture, on off, show location, etc etc
Now your talking ::g ::g ::g

Can't wait :D :D

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Leaving sensors on will just drain battery life even faster. When the screen, data, mobile network roaming, etc, are on too you can almost stand there watching the % drop. Also lots of devices put various parts of phones to sleep when the screen goes off, and then a deep sleep mode after a certain period of time so 'wake' events are necessary to keep processes running. Maybe for Windows Phone you will get more life out of it I suppose, but I'm more of an Android user.

Unfortunately the tech isnt there in smartphones for a long lasting experience that we would all love as detectorists. Batteries will only last up to about 5hrs when using gps on all the time. Obviously this depends on each handset, they're all different, with different rated batteries too.

I think I read somewhere once that the modern GPS and GLONASS receiver modules used in phones can only be accurate to around 1-2m, which unfortunately means they will be out quite a bit when used for gridding a field, making it impractical in a real setting.

As there are so many devices out there, it's a fairly big job to bugfix and develop a decent app so I wish you luck with it. ::g Lots of good ideas for it but in reality you're extremely limited by battery life, so ultimately I fear you will have to choose certain features over others to make it work. ;;z
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Trojan wrote:i am in the process of programming a new app for metal detectorists

should be finished this week,

it will work on windows phones, and android later on ill be making the same app for the iphone, the code is the same, written in C+ but its process and event handlers are slightly different, so ill configure the iphone data a little later for the app.

the app will give you real time geo coordination on your location.

the ability to take a picture of your find, and add it to a gallery on your phone, with the longitude and latitude recorded for the finds location,you can also enter the signal reading for the item and depth, this will also be saved and recorded for your item.

weather and tide information will be on the app also.

the ability to send the pic to a friend or upload it to the forums for an ID while your out detecting.

MyDetector function, allowing you to enter your detecting data setups or programs and info you have found on the net, in case you wish to try a different setup.

the app is for all metal detectors, and not for a specific brand.

you will then be able to upload your days detecting to a dropbox, skydrive, or email the data to yourself.

(for people without windows 8 on their PC)
then you can open google earth, and import the data in a .txt or .csv and your entire detecting day will be loaded into google earth, showing your route, finds location, and description of the find.you can then save all that data in google earth, in the My Places section, and keep a database of all your detecting for many years to come.

(people with windows 8 on their PC)
you will still be able to use google earth, however, i am developing a windows PC desktop app, that will do exactly the same as google earth, but i will be using Bing and google maps API for the programming, which will allow you to have an ordnance survey overlay on the Bing maps. Which in my opinion is a great advantage for research. A new screen showing a map, your finds database and locations,auto re-sizing options for images, which will allow easy uploading to forums without the need to mess about changing the images for the forums upload restrictions, it will be done for you.

The desktop app will allow you to save all data, alter the images, keep location data of your detecting.It will have any information you have entered, signal reading depth etc and make it easier to upload your images to your various detecting forums. as you will be able to sync your phone to your PC using the phone software that comes with your phone, like Zune for windows phones, the desktop app will auto sync, and load all the information from your phone app, direct into your desktop app, so no need to import files, or upload to drop boxes etc, it will be done auto for you.

both the phone and desktop app will be on the android market, and the windows store for £2.00 each.

all MDF members who are registered prior to the apps release will get a free code from me or my brother, so you will not have to pay for the app.
Hi Trojan,

Just I quick note to see how is your android App is coming along..?

Regards,
BB
XP Deus V4
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Trojan wrote:quite good actually, very close to completion, ive put it on stop for this week, as i have to get some code done for my actual job, but its looking really good at the moment, i have it on my phone in development stage.
Wow that was a quick reply, thanks for the speedy update... ::g Good luck with it matey please give me the nod when it's up and running as I am keen to give it ago... ::g :)

Have a good Christmas in the meantime,
Regards,
BB
XP Deus V4
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Gary Huston wrote:I've tried most of them and none seem much good. The Minelab one as said above is way out, even putting things in different fields ;;z
It will do that if you don't set it up right when you use it. IME you have to switch OFF ALL wireless or other positioning and ALL GPS positioning ON. Otherwise the network positioning will override the GPS and it will only log your finds according to network masts.

Basically, using a Galaxy S3 for example:

In the pull-down menu on the face of the phone: Turn wireless OFF AND GPS ON.
In settings: go to "Location Services" and untick "Use wireless networks" and tick "Use GPS satellites".

Obviously unwind the settings when you've done detecting.
Clearing Britain of scrap, one bucketful at a time

http://aureliadetecting.wordpress.com/

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:35 pm

hihosilver wrote:.
I think I read somewhere once that the modern GPS and GLONASS receiver modules used in phones can only be accurate to around 1-2m, which unfortunately means they will be out quite a bit when used for gridding a field, making it impractical in a real setting.
;;z
I go climbing and walking in Snowdonia GPS is a godsend but you can not follow a path near an edge as it is often more than a few meters out.

Copied and paste these of a couple of websites

the GPS signal in space will provide a "worst case" pseudorange accuracy of 7.8 meters at a 95% confidence level.

Ionospheric effects ± 5 meters
Shifts in the satellite orbits ± 2.5 meter
Clock errors of the satellites' clocks ± 2 meter
Multipath effect ± 1 meter
Tropospheric effects ± 0.5 meter
Calculation- und rounding errors ± 1 meter

Altogether this sums up to an error of ± 15 meters. With the SA still activated, the error was in the range of ± 100 Meter. Corrections by systems like WAAS and EGNOS, which mainly reduce ionospheric effects, but also improve orbits and clock errors, the overall error is reduced to approximately ± 3 - 5 meters

dconn

Post by dconn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

An interesting topic I have started here will be good when the app is out and hopefully accurate. Looking forward to testing it out shame I'm on iOS though
EuroTek Pro 11"" DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer
XP Backphones

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Yes Koala but there are many many different types of 'GPS' modules out there. Some are a lot more accurate than others. 'Professional' gps systems can be accurate to about 10mm. We also now have the Russian satellite system and most mobiles can use either GPS (American) or GLONASS (Russian), and some can use both. With my phone it can connect to all, and when a strong lock is established it's about +/-1m accuracy as long as the lock is established. The majority of modern smartphones can get about 1-2m at around sea level. The cost of the 'better' modules have dropped substantially over the years and are now common in new smartphones.

It still chomps at the battery though, but that tech is slowly improving too. They'll get there eventually. =))
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

that sounds really good mate ::g

but i only have a crap phone due to em keep getting goosed at work :((
Just using the Force Image

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Fantastic Trojan very much appreciated ::g I just need to find out how to use my new Samsung S3 mini!!! Great Post :D Cheers ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:55 pm

hihosilver wrote:Yes Koala but there are many many different types of 'GPS' modules out there. Some are a lot more accurate than others. 'Professional' gps systems can be accurate to about 10mm. We also now have the Russian satellite system and most mobiles can use either GPS (American) or GLONASS (Russian), and some can use both. With my phone it can connect to all, and when a strong lock is established it's about +/-1m accuracy as long as the lock is established. The majority of modern smartphones can get about 1-2m at around sea level. The cost of the 'better' modules have dropped substantially over the years and are now common in new smartphones.

It still chomps at the battery though, but that tech is slowly improving too. They'll get there eventually. =))
I might be wrong ;) but as far as I know the most accurate GPS system used for land surveying uses a base station to relay the signal on and uses Real Time Kinematic (RTK) and cost several thousand pound and has a resolution of 1 cm. This is against the base station which could still be 3 meters out if positioned via GPS.

The millatry GPS system PPS has the same accuracy as standard GPS except some of the ionospheric is taken out

I don't think there is an improvement until GPS III <:-P is launched over the next year or so

My GPSs often say they are accurate to less 1m but if I relied solely on them I would have walked over many cliffs :( and that's without the signal being bounced of trees or buildings.

Still GPS is very very good and a very useful addition to metal detecting ::g

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 am

You're not wrong. The 10mm accuracy mark is only in 'professional' devices like I said in my previous post, but they're more reliable nowadays. Yes, these include surveyors tools. ::g I think one of the people in that Time Team show had a similar device. Well out of the price range of most people for sure. :))

Unfortunately smartphones still aren't really quite good enough for recording an accurate path for detecting purposes. ;;z Can't be far off though. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:56 am

I'm looking forward to it.
http://www.lostrings.co.uk
"Only once a find is recorded is it truly discovered, and through recording finds with the PAS metal-detecting can make a truly positive contribution to archaeology" British Museum.
RINGS returned 2014=19 Not found = 8

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”