Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:45 am

Hi all, been researching the two models, can anyone tell me if once on the PC the data can be overlaid or converted to go on Google Earth ?

I am wondering if I only need the basic model (10) as I am not bothered about maps on the device as I can use my phone for that, just really want to store find points and GPS trail if possible, but not too worried about the later. I can use my phone but don't always get a 3G signal.

I am not looking at spending a lot as this is only when I use the Deus as my CTX has it built in.

If you can't import to GE can it be seen on the PC with Garmin's software on a map or do you have to buy that like you do for the device ?

PS John I know you have the 20, I see from your picture before the data is shown on a white background, is there no map option ?

Dave &*(


Image

User avatar
THE MOLE
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:10 am
Location: out and about.
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 am

bit of info on this thread dave
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... ex#p671326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil.
Just using the Force Image

User avatar
Danzigman
Posts: 12232
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am
Location: Denmark - island of Fyn (Funen)
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Danzigman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:56 am

Dave8472 wrote:Hi all, been researching the two models, can anyone tell me if once on the PC the data can be overlaid or converted to go on Google Earth ?

I am wondering if I only need the basic model (10) as I am not bothered about maps on the device as I can use my phone for that, just really want to store find points and GPS trail if possible, but not too worried about the later. I can use my phone but don't always get a 3G signal.

I am not looking at spending a lot as this is only when I use the Deus as my CTX has it built in.

If you can't import to GE can it be seen on the PC with Garmin's software on a map or do you have to buy that like you do for the device ?

PS John I know you have the 20, I see from your picture before the data is shown on a white background, is there no map option ?

Dave &*(

Hi Dave.. Yes the Etrek 20 have a few more options.. I would go for the 20, as the steep up is small... The 30 have gyro compas and much more...
I personally do not transfeer to GE, but im pretty sure Garmin Base camp have that option... Many tings can be done in Base Camp.. Little difficut to find you way around in the meny in the start, but as soon the info is imported to Base Camp from GPS it seemt to work well.. I can try translate a few instructions to english, but have added you to CPE where many GPS specialist are arond to, to help out.. Best of Luck... Remember to buy a screen protection to the GPS.. very cheap to buy, and you get pack of 4 i think...
HH - John
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Skute
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Skute » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:05 am

I have an Etrex 10 that i use for logging tracks and waypoints. Both are saved on the GPS as a .gpx file. Connecting the GPS to your computer with supplied USB cable, you can copy the files over to your harddisk/desktop. From there i use a free online program called GPS Visualiser which can be found here .. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Simply upload the .gpx files of your choosing to the site and it will overlay them on google earth or maps....you choose.
At the top of the screen there is a link called "MAKE A MAP" clicking on that allows you to upload more than one file so you can create a picture which could include all your waypoints for a given day together with track log.....or any other combination you want.

You don't need the Etrex 20 if you are just interested in recording tracks and waypoints and the colour option of the Etrex 20 is redundant if it's just going to be hanging from your belt and only used when you want to log a find...

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks all for the advice and links, yep I was hoping that was all possible and the conformation the "10" will be all ok for just importing, as I don't want an expensive option ::g

I will take a look at that Forum John, as I am not in a rush to get one, might even go for a second hand one on the bay if one crops up.

PS yes to the screen cover, saw a YouTube saying that ::g

Dave &*(
Image

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 pm

I picked up a near new Etrex 10 of an auction site, gave it a duel test today with the CTX ready for when I go Deus detecting, results were great ::g

Dave &*(

CTX
GPS Minelab.jpg
Garmin
GPS Garmin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Danzigman
Posts: 12232
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am
Location: Denmark - island of Fyn (Funen)
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Danzigman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Dave8472 wrote:I picked up a near new Etrex 10 of an auction site, gave it a duel test today with the CTX ready for when I go Deus detecting, results were great ::g

Dave &*(

CTX
GPS Minelab.jpg
Garmin
GPS Garmin.jpg
Glad it worked... I would like to se the duel test done down to the meter or cm.. Actually to test out how good the CTX GPS is.. Can it find back to a spot like 10 x10 cm.. or is it 3 x 3 meters...
Im sure you will love the Etrek.. ::g HH - John
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:56 pm

The accuracy on the CTX is about 0.5 - 1m square at best John ::g

Dave &*(
Image

User avatar
Danzigman
Posts: 12232
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am
Location: Denmark - island of Fyn (Funen)
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Danzigman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Dave8472 wrote:The accuracy on the CTX is about 0.5 - 1m square at best John ::g

Dave &*(
And the Garmin ?
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 - 20

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Dave8472 wrote:The accuracy on the CTX is about 0.5 - 1m square at best John ::g

Dave &*(
And the Garmin ?
Not done any accuracy tests yet John, I had it in my pocket all day, I did compare the reading for one find spot against the CTX and it was almost the same, I need to get it up my pasture site when I have some more time as I have a few reference points there, I have ordered a bike mounting kit and screen protectors so I can possibly mount it to the Deus

Dave &*(
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”