Which GPS?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Which GPS?

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:44 pm

With the proposed reduction in archaeologists visiting Norfolk clubs, taking finds and establishing exact find spots, there will be a greater need for our club members to self record. This will include supplying accurate find locations and I would like to know which modest priced hand held GPS device would the members recommend? Thanks, Liam ::g

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

clint

Re: Which GPS?

Post by clint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:53 pm

How about the tect o trac app,lite version is free or £2.49 for full. Don't know the full capabilities of it but may be suitable.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Liam.
Garmin Etrex 10,20,30. These 3 do the business. The last two 20,30 can have additional maps, but all will give you the ability to record location with co-ordinates.

thanks
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

neeilix

Post by neeilix » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Hello Liam,
I recently got a s/h Garmin Etrex Vista HCx (predecessor of the Etrex 20/30) for recording findspots, it was about £60 and works very well.
I have also had a play with Tect O Trak Lite but relies on the GPS capability/accuracy of your phone. It's a great detectorist app which allows you to track your detecting progress and record finds, at the moment I think it is Android only. Minelab also do a similar free app called Treasure Tracking which is both Apple and Android.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:29 pm

liamnolan wrote:With the proposed reduction in archaeologists visiting Norfolk clubs, taking finds and establishing exact find spots, there will be a greater need for our club members to self record. This will include supplying accurate find locations and I would like to know which modest priced hand held GPS device would the members recommend? Thanks, Liam ::g

Depends what you mean by accurate. All normal GPS even those in a smart phone are accurate to within a few metres. Accuracy depends on sat timings and atmospheric conditions which don't alter a lot within a few hours but go back a year later and could be 5 metres different enough to put you the wrong side of hedge. Software on them normally say accuracy less than 1 metre this is a lie. I sometimes follow them in the hills in fog and rarely will they keep you on a path.

There are two professional systems both expensive for a hobbyist the best requires a base station to be set up and will go down to sub centimetre accuracy

Dedicated handheld devices have a slight edge at the bottom of canyons or next to tall buildings but for in a field there is nothing between a handheld GPS and a smartphone except lock time and battery life.

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:30 pm

I Liam I have also used Map Marker for android simple but workers well. ::g

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rker&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi Neil, good to see you on lthe XP DAY. At next Mondays club meeting we may have a natter about the future of self recording in Norfolk and what changes we can expect in how our finds end up on the PAS database. Can you bring along your device as an example of what could be used?
I may try to buy something in advance but I just did not know what is the "best buy" right now as electronics technology moves ahead so fast. I think I need something in my inside pocket that I can whip out and press a button and also make a brief note on the device such as "roman bronze number 3" or preferable "Stater hoard" or "Boudiccas grave" ::g ::g
I will now get searching for something ... thanks Greg and others, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Liam, I use a Garmin E-trax 20 to record co-ordinates of find spots. It will then take me back to those spots at later dates. It allows you to write a note of what was found at the spot. The co-ordinates can be transferred to Google Earth back at home. That's an interesting thing to do as you can often see a pattern of finds which may not have been apparent when actually out in the field. I prefer the Garmin as I don't need to worry about it getting all wet,muddy and scratched and I just keep it in my finds pouch.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Built in to my CTX, but when using the Deus I use a Garmin Etrex 10, it is nothing flash, but good enough to pull a find point off and a geo hunt, and the exported file can be imported in to Google Earth and stored.

Dave &*(

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Maplins have the Etrex 10 at a reasonable cost - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/garmin-etrex- ... oCMInw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will try to find the Etrex 20 somewhere in time for the next club meeting! Liam ::g

clint

Post by clint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Yeah,ease of use is a big factor although mine would read...pop tin,pie dish,bedstead!

Regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Whatunearth wrote:Hi Liam.
Garmin Etrex 10,20,30. These 3 do the business. The last two 20,30 can have additional maps, but all will give you the ability to record location with co-ordinates.

thanks
Greg
Good advice.. I have the Garmin Etrex 20.. You can add extra maps in the 20 and 30.. Do the job excelent.. On bay you can buy a set of 5 protection to the screen, and you will be just fine..
Take my advice and do not walk the app route.. phones is for wife talk.. Not detcting.. ::g
HH- John.
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Have now ordered the 20, glad that John has endorsed it, had to laugh =)) at his description of the phone for wife talk! I am now about to start another topic on how best to self record finds on the PAS, one thing leads to another ...Liam :;@

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi liam like some others i use an android app called grid reference there are a few but i use
(Grid Reference - British Isles) and its free ,it gives you a 10 digit reference using ordnance survey co-ordinates .
also gives you the option to flip between map and satellite screens which is also very handy .
it gives an option to copy grid reference which sends it the main phone screen where you can edit it and add find details .

gordon
Minelab explorer se, minelab equinox 800

neeilix

Post by neeilix » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Yes good to attend the XP day, we were very lucky that Monday's weather didn't arrive early!

Yes certainly I'll bring it along to the next meeting, I see you've made a purchase and gone with the Garmin!

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm

broadsmaster wrote:Hi liam like some others i use an android app called grid reference there are a few but i use
(Grid Reference - British Isles) and its free ,it gives you a 10 digit reference using ordnance survey co-ordinates .
also gives you the option to flip between map and satellite screens which is also very handy .
it gives an option to copy grid reference which sends it the main phone screen where you can edit it and add find details .

gordon
Hi Gordon, bring that along on Monday and we can all explain a little bit about what device does what. I have now also started a topic on Self Recording - http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 31&t=82095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and we will discuss that also on Monday! Lets get ahead of the other clubs and start doing things the way the future holds for us, Liam :;@

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Garmin E-trex for me. Wouldn`t trust apps....where would the data go?
Garmin can overlay onto GE and its easy to put find in a numbered bag and just mark as a waypoint. Also use http://www.gridreferencefinder.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if needed, I have a habit of visually noting tree`s etc if only so I can work an area. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

follycollie

Post by follycollie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Liam
I use an Etrex 30 but I'm an utter numpty with trying to understand anything other than my detector itself, so I don't use anything like the full functionality. I think your plan of getting a 20 sounds great. I would definitely recommend the Etrex for accuracy though - last week I went back to a find spot in the middle of a large field where I'd had to abandon a deep signal last new year's day, and to my amazement, it took me right to it. I'd marked the target quite a way down with a plastic marker and dug right on to it :-)

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:06 pm

That bit of plastic was clever, Liam ::g

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Liam. I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx. Had it afew years now and its a great bit of kit. Check it out on line. ::g

allmetal

Post by allmetal » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm

I just bought a Garmin Etrex 30 a few days ago on Amazons black Friday deals that were on last week not had time to try it out yet I'm going to try to get some of the free maps onto it.

Noticed that the Etrex 30 was on offer on at least two occasions it will likely be on again for cyber Monday deals week.

One app I played about with is Polaris Navigation GPS you can email your location from the find spot this will give you a grid ref. and links to Bing and Google Maps. The free version only lets you save 3 points.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... navigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Beside the obviously - to plot finds
it will keep completly track on your search and the total cover map over a field or area..
Garmin no longer comes with mapspsource, but most users have started to use the free Garmin basecamp.. Basecamp can wit littel efford transport your tracks to most map sources online and have a long range of plotting finds and tracks.. Guess even lidar and basecamp talk together..
Here is a photo (photos) i have post a few times.. If you spot a area not searched, you just make a wavepoint and walk to it next time you are on the field.
And a rallie track ( we always use 10 or less sek plotting)
Here a track think UK - not my image, just happen to have the photo
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Wormslayer

Post by Wormslayer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks Clint, Thx Neelix. ::g Please consider Tect O Trak. Purpose built for metal detecting by a detectorist (me.. ;) ) This is my own personal (not for profit) project to develop the ultimate metal detecting app. I still have some way to go before it's completely finished, your support will be greatly appreciated. Find out more here:- http://historyhunters.co.uk/tectotrak or try it here:- https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... totraklite
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... totraklite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

deltron

Post by deltron » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm

I use the etrek 20 no problems with it ::g

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 pm

deltron wrote:I use the etrek 20 no problems with it ::g
Same as me- I keep it very simple- I record the find spot and note a couple of letters so I remember later what was found there. I walk about with it in my finds pouch on "compass" otherwise it is apt to record the co-ordinates every time I bend over if I leave it on "mark waypoint" because the button which sticks out is so sensitive.

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Go Outdoor's has an extra 10% discount on their website just saved myself nearly £40 on a Garmin Oregon 650T with OS maps.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy shopping ;) ::g ::g

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:51 pm

busterhamer wrote:Go Outdoor's has an extra 10% discount on their website just saved myself nearly £40 on a Garmin Oregon 650T with OS maps.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy shopping ;) ::g ::g
I use the Oregon450T for recording my tracks and finds. It also has OS 1:50K Landranger mapping, but I like to create my own custom maps in 1:25K for the areas I search. Tracks and Waypoints (find spots) saved as .gpx are viewable in Google Earth.
si in dubium effodere

KeithM

Post by KeithM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:09 pm

Evenin' all
I have an Etrax 10. Still cant sort out how to fix a find point. The user guide is not much help(Which I appear to have mislayed ie lorst!). All decent suggestions welcome
KeithM
Stop both engines,full ahead both rudders
Growing old is compulsory: Growing up is optional
X-clacks-overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

f8met

Post by f8met » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:33 pm

I have an etrex 10 and I switch it on when I get out of the car to give it time to warm up and find the satellites. I have in the past, and must get back in the habit, keep a few baggies in a pocket (must set some bells ringing after buying small set of scales and lots of small plastic bags!) and a permanent marker. When you get a target, press the toggle switch which gives you a waypoint number. Note this number on the bag and put it away. Then when you get home, call up the number which will give you the grid reference and you can tally it up with the find.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

neeilix

Post by neeilix » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 am

KeithM wrote:Evenin' all
I have an Etrax 10. Still cant sort out how to fix a find point. The user guide is not much help(Which I appear to have mislayed ie lorst!). All decent suggestions welcome
KeithM
Hi Keith
You can download pdfs of the full & quickstart manuals, see the first two results on this Google search - https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... 0%20manual
I've got an older model so am not familiar with the Etrex 10.

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”