Which GPS?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
muddy fingers

Re: Which GPS?

Post by muddy fingers » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:31 am

f8met wrote:I have an etrex 10 and I switch it on when I get out of the car to give it time to warm up and find the satellites. I have in the past, and must get back in the habit, keep a few baggies in a pocket (must set some bells ringing after buying small set of scales and lots of small plastic bags!) and a permanent marker. When you get a target, press the toggle switch which gives you a waypoint number. Note this number on the bag and put it away. Then when you get home, call up the number which will give you the grid reference and you can tally it up with the find.
But how will you be able to return to the findspot after a period of time has elapsed and the finds and their numbers have become separated? When you scroll through waypoint manager all you will get is a the list of numbers, if you haven't made a brief note on the GPS itself of what you found at that spot.

Being able to return to an exact findspot in the middle of a huge featureless field, even after a couple of years, is one of the main attributes of a GPS for me.

f8met

Post by f8met » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:38 am

I put the finds such as coins or interesting artifacts on a spreadsheet with the grid reference. I also put a label on the bag with the grid for giving in to the flo. If I want to go back to a point program in to the gps or call it up on the machine and off you go. Etrex 10 can store 1000 way points.

Does take some discipline but does work.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

combatsman

Post by combatsman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Just a quick note to say how I've been doing it recently.

I've downloaded a GPS app to my Samsung S3 mini (in my case GPS Status free from Play Store). This gets a fix from several satellites and allows you to copy your current position to the clipboard if you tap the menu options. I then open up Memo and paste the co-ords into a new file with a couple of words to remind me what I've found. I make a new file for each find. This can then be manually put into Google Earth by adding a placemark and amending the co-ords and title when the placemark edit box comes up.

It may be a bit long-winded for some but does enable you to have a go at adding find-spots to Google Earth with the smart phone you've already got. I'd quite like to get an Etrex that can talk direct to Google Earth but for now this works for me.

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:48 pm

muddy fingers wrote:
f8met wrote:I have an etrex 10 and I switch it on when I get out of the car to give it time to warm up and find the satellites. I have in the past, and must get back in the habit, keep a few baggies in a pocket (must set some bells ringing after buying small set of scales and lots of small plastic bags!) and a permanent marker. When you get a target, press the toggle switch which gives you a waypoint number. Note this number on the bag and put it away. Then when you get home, call up the number which will give you the grid reference and you can tally it up with the find.
But how will you be able to return to the findspot after a period of time has elapsed and the finds and their numbers have become separated? When you scroll through waypoint manager all you will get is a the list of numbers, if you haven't made a brief note on the GPS itself of what you found at that spot.

Being able to return to an exact findspot in the middle of a huge featureless field, even after a couple of years, is one of the main attributes of a GPS for me.
After trying to write on muddy bags, I pre-number (saves time in field) the bags and hold them threaded together via the top part of the bag on a fishing line loop so I can tear the next one off when needed. I have a brief code system for recording on the SAT NAV. When back home I write the Grid Ref on the bag for the FLO. My finds stay in the bag when they come back from FLO so I don't have a problem--until I get round/have sufficient worth displaying.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

I have actually been playing with my Etrex 30 and have just discovered the note feature. I now instead of writing on the bags do as Muddy fingers suggested and take a few seconds to say what it is. I had in the past been guilty of not being so disciplined and ending up not knowing what the waypoint was but this way is very good.

I normally then export the file to google earth.
Dave
2018 53 Hammered

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:29 pm

a cheap alternative is to get a second hand garmin nuvi 200, usually got for £10-£20 on the bay.
then download this software for free.

http://www.easygps.com/gps-receivers/Ga ... vi-200.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how well it works I have no idea but it seems to do what is needed

neil.
Just using the Force Image

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:09 pm

As an aside that some might find amusing..... I lent my Garmin to the local museum to go in a display with loads of other stuff. It was in the "climate controlled cabinet" for about 18 months.

Lesson learnt...............remove the batteries. :-SS

Got it home and opened it up and it looks like an explosion in a chicken soup factory in the back, been cleaning & wiping to get the liquid out, and its spent 2 weeks in the airing cupboard to try & convert the dregs to powder.

Tonight I find out if she`s alive.................................. :-SS
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

JBM

Post by JBM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:18 pm

I purchased a basic yellow eTrex when they first came out many years ago.

It still works just fine and I only used it last week on a new site location.

They are sometimes still available on flea bay and are very affordable.

Happy Hunting. Jerry. ::g

targets

Post by targets » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:50 pm

garmin have a heads up display coming along soon which clips to glasses
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 pm

below is quite a long list of instructions to help set up the etrex 10
Not sure if this is the same for any other models ? you may want to copy and print?

If it helps this is how to set up the Garmin etrex 10
I struggled with it to start with due to inadequate instructions that come with it!
This is how I set up mine for UK and use it, don’t worry if you get it wrong as you can always reset back to factory settings.

Toggle Button is the selector for up, down, left, right and press for select.
I will use “Toggle” or “Press” in the descriptions

Turn it on, ideally you need to do a bit of setting up before any use and get familiarised to how it functions.
On the first screen
Toggle to “Setup” tab, press and toggle to “System” tab, press
In Satellite system press and toggle to GPS + GLONASS & press
Toggle to WAAS/EGNOS, press and select on
Toggle to language and change Language, to whatever your language is

Press the back button
Toggle to “Position Format” tab and press (by now you should know how to toggle and press to move and select)
Position format should be changed to “British Grid”
Map Datum should be “Ord Srvy GB”
Map Spheroid “Airy”
Press the back button

Go to Display Tab
Adjust backlight timeout to whatever timeout you require, (Stays On will use more battery power) you may want to have “Stays On” while you set up the etrex 10. (Should have put this first, hopefully you have read through and done this already???) Toggle to Adjust contrast to your liking.

Remove unwanted tabs cluttering the screen, do you really want the “Man Overboard” tab? this is what I have left on the first screen on mine (when starting)
Mark Waypoint, Waypoint Manager, Track Manager, Active Route, Trip Computer, Satellite
Compass, Setup, Maps (tip 1), Where To? (tip 2) & Profile Change.

You can remove or add as many tabs as you want or need, don’t worry if you remove they are not deleted just moved.

On first screen press Menu, select Change Item Order, toggle to remove items, press and select either Move, Insert or Remove.
Selecting Move, press and move to where you want and press, then toggle to another and press, etc etc.
Insert will add pages removed (you won’t have any until you have removed them!) so that is how you get them back as well.
Remove, does what it says, but you know where to find them if done in error.

That’s the basics done, you’re ready to go. For use in the field, turn on, go to Satellite tab and press, give it a couple of minutes to acquire the satellites.
Select Trip Computer and press menu, select Reset and press Reset Trip Data, select Yes Press back, and back, select Track Manager, select Current Track and press, select Clear Current Track, press and select Yes, press Back.
Select Waypoint Manager, if this says No Results Found press Menu, select Delete All, select Yes and press.
Press Back, you are now ready to go, everything is zeroed.
Select Mark Waypoint, (to mark your find) this screen shows you your
Waypoint Icon (you can change this icon by selecting and choose one of your preference) Waypoint number, 001, 002 etc.
Note, press to input text (if you do this it takes time, I will explain later, (tip 3)
Location, SU 99999 BNG 99999 (I’ve used random numbers) This is your Easting and Northing, a 10 figure location to 1 square metre. (Around buildings and under trees this may not be that accurate?)
Elevation (metres above sea level)
At the bottom of the screen Map and Done, Map selects a map, shows you track and waypoints you have recorded, on the etrex 10 just a blank screen with track and waypoint, unless you purchased with maps loaded. Don’t worry I will explain later also, (tip 4)
Press done to mark Waypoint One, it then defaults back to first screen ready to mark the next waypoint. When you have done for the day turn off and its ready download, or save the data and start again.

Helpful tips.
1, Maps, this shows where you are showing Track and Waypoints, use the arrow buttons to enlarge or reduce map size.
2, Where To? Helps you navigate back to; Recent Finds, Waypoints, Tracks, Coordinates or Cities.
3, Instead of inputting notes just accept waypoint number, put find in bag and mark with number, you can edit data later when downloaded.
4, you might like to download Basecamp, it’s a free programme here http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that you can download your etrex too, here you can edit waypoints, once saved, selected and viewed on Google Earth.
Save in Google Earth and you now have some data.
5, if it goes flat, replace batteries and data is still there where you left off.
6, its water proof, so rinse under a tap.
7, dirt sometimes gets in the toggle switch and makes it difficult to toggle,
8, sometimes toggle and press response is slow, it’ll get there eventually.
Take you etrex out for a walk, around the garden, down the street and occasionally select Mark Waypoint. Play with it, get used to it.

My guide is not comprehensive, there’s lots more functions, you will find once you play around with it.

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 pm

With the etrex it is a good idea to save your track at the end of each search. I didn't do it and even though it is off it still seems to work? especially if you turn it on to up load, I have tracks back to my house which is an hours drive away from my permission. If you want to see the distance travelled and average speed it messes it up nicely!
Dave
2018 53 Hammered

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 pm

f8met wrote:With the etrex it is a good idea to save your track at the end of each search. I didn't do it and even though it is off it still seems to work? especially if you turn it on to up load, I have tracks back to my house which is an hours drive away from my permission. If you want to see the distance travelled and average speed it messes it up nicely!

It's possible to delete back to where you want, if you double click on the track in basecamp, start at the end and delete back to where you want to. You can see the track and markers deleting

I tend to turn off when at my car, when I download, I don't turn it on to download, it seems to be ok then.

I also edit the data on the device in Basecamp before transferring to a new file or saving on Basecamp, I've had some data change for some reason, the more I use it, the more I find out about its functions.......and little quirks!

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------

Albert Einstein

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 pm

User inexperience I think for me! More you use it, need to use the functions, the more you learn.

Although you do need to be aware of the differences on old maps and grid references. I wanted to go to a specific point I found on an old map. Plugged it in, went there only to find it wanted me to be 50m away in another field! Not a gps error, more an old map point error / gps accuracy combination.
Dave
2018 53 Hammered

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 pm

I've noticed an error when using the "Historic" tab in Google Earth, it's off a little from the present, mapping more accurate now than the then?

Albert Einstein

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Also the transfer from yards to metres? This shouldn't effect grid but the scale change could account for something.
Dave
2018 53 Hammered

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:28 pm

Just bought the Garmin Etrex 20 and have been experimenting with basecamp and viewing my test tracks / waypoints on Google Earth. Massively impressed. Not only can you plot on the latest images but also on the historic imagery going back to 1940.

This is going to be really helpful for keeping track of hotspots. Can't wait to use it on a a hunt.
Tall bloke with AT Pro, Nokta Fors Gold plus & Pro-Pointer

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

I`ve always used a Garmin pretty much from day one. Building up layers of seasonal searches soon establish`s patterns and makes for a nice print off for the landowners.
Having recently got a CTX3030 I just need to try and work out how to load the .kml files onto the CTX and see if a bit of reverse engineering can be done!
Only problems I tend to have is that some of the fields are surrounded by very tall woods that can create some black spots.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:37 am

jcmaloney wrote:Building up layers of seasonal searches soon establish`s patterns and makes for a nice print off for the landowners.
Thanks - that's what I waas thinking, I had been using a paper based system for plotting finds in one field which is a little tedious and also innaccurate.

One thing I'd like to do is to colour code the Roman & earlier vs Saxon vs Medieval vs Post Medieval finds in different flags / colours. Not worked out if there is a simple way to do this on Basecamp / Google Earth but would be handy if there was.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:05 am

jcmaloney wrote:I`ve always used a Garmin pretty much from day one. Building up layers of seasonal searches soon establish`s patterns and makes for a nice print off for the landowners.
Having recently got a CTX3030 I just need to try and work out how to load the .kml files onto the CTX and see if a bit of reverse engineering can be done!
Only problems I tend to have is that some of the fields are surrounded by very tall woods that can create some black spots.
Hi if you use this tool on this link, you can extract the CTX data, and use in Google Earth, you are not then restricted to Minelabs basic program.

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 48&t=84224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I combine all the Garmin and CTX trails in Google Earth, and handle all the find points from excel, converted to KML, all looks very good on Google Earth and is far more flexible. For the more experienced users you can even copy maps or make your own and transparent overlay them on Google. I will post up an example below when back on the PC

Dave &*(

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:10 am

statbloke wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:Building up layers of seasonal searches soon establish`s patterns and makes for a nice print off for the landowners.
Thanks - that's what I waas thinking, I had been using a paper based system for plotting finds in one field which is a little tedious and also innaccurate.

One thing I'd like to do is to colour code the Roman & earlier vs Saxon vs Medieval vs Post Medieval finds in different flags / colours. Not worked out if there is a simple way to do this on Basecamp / Google Earth but would be handy if there was.
If you copy the find points to excel, there is an explanation on this link on how to do it, you make your own gif images and link to them, when converting to KML it is all stored and displays on Google Earth

I use different colours for different coin types, I will link up when back on PC for you

https://www.earthpoint.us/ExcelToKml.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:17 am

Dave8472 wrote:If you copy the find points to excel, there is an explanation on this link on how to do it, you make your own gif images and link to them, when converting to KML it is all stored and displays on Google Earth

I use different colours for different coin types, I will link up when back on PC for you

https://www.earthpoint.us/ExcelToKml.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(

Thanks Dave I'll definitely check this out - something to do tonight. Really appreciate the link ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 am

OK here is a picture of what to build in Excel, the four named columns are required, the gif's need to be hyper linked, can use mine or make your own. Alter the name for the different colours, on the links, I have these colours (this is for just find points) PS there is a 200 point limit per KML for Google Earth FREE, but just make more separate KML's and all then works fine

red, blue, cyan, white, pink, yellow, orange, green

This is what they look like, red one

mdf1.gif
End result can look like this, a combined CTX and Garmin trail, (imported trails colour changed to blue line thickness 2 and 67%) This image also has a transparent 1900's map overlaid, sorry I can't show more of the map but you know why lol ! (Geo Trails from CTX and Garmin converted to KML)
mdf2.jpg
Also can change map to old ones, but I find the 1940's map to be quite a long way off alignment
mdf3.gif
Dave &*(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks Dave that looks really comprehensive I'll give that a go

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:00 pm

statbloke wrote:Thanks Dave that looks really comprehensive I'll give that a go
Your welcome, just give me a shout if you need me to elaborate on any specific item

Dave &*(

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Dave you are a legend! That is so helpful ::g

So if I have a .kml off of a Garmin can I wedge that into the CTX and it`ll take me to the findspots? I normally use EasyGPS to take the file off the Garmin and load onto GE so I`m fairly "basic" in terms of tech! =))

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:09 pm

jcmaloney wrote:Dave you are a legend! That is so helpful ::g

So if I have a .kml off of a Garmin can I wedge that into the CTX and it`ll take me to the findspots? I normally use EasyGPS to take the file off the Garmin and load onto GE so I`m fairly "basic" in terms of tech! =))
Unfortunately Minelab have locked there software up to importing, thankfully not for exporting, I know it is a pain but better off in the long run dumping the Exchange software apart from the initial CTX transfers and getting it all in KML, so flexible to use. Another thing that grinds me with Exchange is the logging in each time and when a lot of data in it take a long while to initialise. Also once in a blue moon the Google map facility is broken and it takes e-mails to Minelab to fix there servers.

You can also use SQLbrowser I think it is called to rip data from the CTX itself, but that is a bit more tricky to use

Dave &*(

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:17 am

Dave8472 wrote:
statbloke wrote:Thanks Dave that looks really comprehensive I'll give that a go
Your welcome, just give me a shout if you need me to elaborate on any specific item

Dave &*(
Hi Dave. Managed to follow this through last night using recorded find spots from my fields. Brilliant. Just need to play around to get a smaller font size for the "names" of points which default to large if displayed. Your link provides some guidance on this.

There are a couple of follow ups. Was going to PM you but thought I'd post so other members can access. Was wondering how to export waypoints from my Garmin 20 or Garmin basecamp directly into excel? I'm due there must be a way of doing this but haven't been able to work out yet.

The other question was over the gifs. I am referencing your ones for now but what's the easiest way of creating my own? Sorry if this us a basic question but I am a numty when it comes to graphics.

Finally how did you overlay your transparent 1900s map? Is this another Google Earth feature? It's a pretty neat but of garnish to what you have done.

Sorry for all the questions. You have been more than helpful already in helping me produce some impressive looking plots of finds. I might be able to answer some of these myself if I looked into this further but any hints would be welcome ::g thanks Gary

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi Gary, no probs, I didn’t want to initially post up a 10 page essay unless anyone was interested lol

Re fonts, not played with that hence why I leave the names column empty, and use the description one as that is opened only by clicking.

Gif’s were created in a draw program called paint shop pro, but any program will do them and think they can also be in PNG format, there are loads on line to copy as well.

Exporting way points from Garmin ! I am still trying to find a quicker way, at the moment I do each one by hand, ie, copy and paste the Lon/lat out but this is time consuming, EasyGPS is a little easier at the figures are split in to two boxes when you click on them. I will let you know if I find a better solution.

Overlaying maps, you will need Paint shop pro again. Screen grab the desired image from here, using Control Print Screen
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5& ... yers=1&b=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1, select England and Wales 2, OS Six Inch 1888-1913.

Paste in to draw program and crop all the unwanted rubbish off the image, next grey scale the image and adjust the brightness and contrast a bit to bleach it a bit. Next set the image to transparency and make it use white as the setting, then save as a gif, can’t save as jpeg. In Goggle earth set the image as an overlay and drag the image to the correct scale and position, also change the transparency as needed. This is a long and complicated thing to do and I don’t do it for all my sites. There may be a quicker way, but as I found this worked I stuck with it

Dave &*(

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:47 pm

OK found a better way to extract lots of way points, as long as they are in a folder together, high light that then go to File, Export, export to *.cvs and it will be able to be opened in Excel, scroll down and all the points are there, just then copy and paste to where you need them.

Just make sure you have set base camp to display the Lon/Lat in the format you require

If you are PAS recording the correct format can be converted on this web site, for anyone else only using a GPS device for PAS, you can set the Garmin to display the correct PAS type beforehand

http://www.gridreferencefinder.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks Dave just seen this. Many thanks for all the detail and sorry for being a pain with all the questions. Plenty there to get my teeth into. Cheers.Gary

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”