Second hand racer - Newbie Advise

All topics related to Makro metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
SamAndLuke

Second hand racer - Newbie Advise

Post by SamAndLuke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello

Me and my son who is 6 are keen to take up metal detecting and have bought a mk1 Racer from ebay (used of course). The seller describes it as mint but thought perhaps i should run some test on this thing before I run outside with it.

Can anyone give me any advise as newbs with no experience what-so-ever im unsure what i should check, how i should check it or if there are any known issues with these items I should be aware of?
Any essential accessories i should get? Im thinking the coil cover and rain cover is wise?

....and also Is this thing waterproof at the coil? can I submerge it?

Any advise you guys could give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Luke

mrix
Founder

Re: Second hand racer - Newbie Advise

Post by mrix » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello and welcome luke, some of the original racers on release had weak coil lugs which fractured or snapped so its worth checking for any coil damage, on later models the coils were replaced with a much stronger epoxy resin filled coil.
Its a surprisingly high performance machine for the price, being fairly easy to use and reasonably light weight.
If you operate the machine inland simply choose a mode like two or three tone then ground balance by pushing the trigger under the control box forward and pumping the coil around an inch to say 8 inches from the ground until a beeps is heard, this means ground balance has been achieved ::g
Or if you want to use it at the beach in mineralized sand set it to beach mode then ground balance as above ::g if you got a manual read and read it more to get the very best from it.
Best of luck
mrix
p.s running a machine inside will likely cause it to pick up surrounding interference and the coil is waterproof so can be submerged ::g

Spade

Post by Spade » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi, i would Google the brand and model of your detector the information you need should be on there. Also there will be helpful videos on YouTube, search metal detecting for beginners and search for your detector on there. There is a lot of helpful information on the forum just browse through posts.
Hope this helps ::g
Xp Deus
Garrett pro Pointer ll

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Welcome to the forum both.

The Racer is a good reliable machine, so hopefully you should be OK.

The coil is waterproof, so yes you can submerge it.
But the contol box is NOT so if detecting in water make sure you do not drop it!.

Surprised you do not have a coil cover, as the standard original Makro Racer package came with a coil cover (as do most new machines). Just in case double check as they are a very tight fit and at a quick glance might not be obvious. If you do not have one I would suggest that you do get one as they do protect the coil. In very round figures a cover is £10 and coil £100, so if you smack something hard (and most of us do at some point!) replacing a cover is much better than having to replace a coil!!.

Rain covers can be useful but certainly are not essential (its not uncommon to see people using a plastic bag over the control boxes of detectors in the rain), and the control box is water resistant so OK in light drizzle but as not waterproof is not up to prolonged torrential rain.

Lots of advice on the Makro forum on the left and other videos on the internet.

Evan

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

The red racer is light, deep and sensitive and can hold it's own against the top machines. It has no memory so does not retain changes in settings, which is good for beginners as you can mess it up as much as you like knowing that it will be reset next time you switch-on. Two tone is the deepest mode, and you can increase the gain quite a lot without penalty.

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Thank you all for the advise. It may have a cover, I'll check when it arrives. I'll do some research on ground balancing and stuff. Really looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to post when I get it and panic cos I don't know how to use it and assume it's broken :/

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

SamAndLuke wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm
Thank you all for the advise. It may have a cover, I'll check when it arrives. I'll do some research on ground balancing and stuff. Really looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to post when I get it and panic cos I don't know how to use it and assume it's broken :/
Mrix as always is spot on when he says "if you got a manual read and read it more to get the very best from it."
If you do not have a manual here is the online version -
https://www.makrodedektor.com/files/rac ... uzu_EN.pdf

If it does not work when switched on .... remove battery cover and check it has batteries :))

If you post on here for help please state that you are talking the original red Racer (or as you did in original post Mk1 Racer), as a lot now use the new Racer 2 and settings are different so if you try a Racer 2 setting on the original racer (or vice versa) it probably will not work.

Evan

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Saffron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm
SamAndLuke wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Mrix as always is spot on when he says "if you got a manual read and read it more to get the very best from it."
If you do not have a manual here is the online version -
https://www.makrodedektor.com/files/rac ... uzu_EN.pdf

If it does not work when switched on .... remove battery cover and check it has batteries :))

If you post on here for help please state that you are talking the original red Racer (or as you did in original post Mk1 Racer), as a lot now use the new Racer 2 and settings are different so if you try a Racer 2 setting on the original racer (or vice versa) it probably will not work.

Evan
Thanks Evan :) Much appreciaed

Return to “Makro Forum”