Coil conversion, plug wiring

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
bmp001

Coil conversion, plug wiring

Post by bmp001 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello,

First proper post (after intro post), hope this is the right section and hope someone can help.

I've aquired a SEF 12 X 10 coil that I'm told is for a T2 detector, it has a 5 pin plug. I want to use it on my Minelab Quattro which also an identical 5 pin plug. But if i compare to the standard 1050 Minelab coil plug to the SEF they are wired differently.... very differently.

Is it possible to wire the plug on the SEF unit so it can be used on the Minelab? (I read somewhere the SEF coils were no different internally irrespective of application, which I guess should be taken with a pinch of salt).
It does seem like coil wiring is a bit secretive judging by my Internet searching.

Thanks for reading and here's hoping,

bmp001

Fusion

Re: Coil conversion, plug wiring

Post by Fusion » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm

They are completely incompatible.

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am

I wouldn't even go there. Sell it and get the proper item. Crawford's buy / sell second hand coils give them a look ::g Crawford's are showing a coiltek s/h 12x8 for 60 quid it fits other minelab models u would have to ask if suitable for the Quattro ::g

bmp001

Post by bmp001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 am

Fusion wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm
They are completely incompatible.
Ok, thanks for setting me straight, respect your judgement and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm guessing you understand the circuits used in coils - is there some where to find out the concepts used in coils ? I get that there are transmit and receive circuits, probably amplifier circuits and of course the different frequency coils (and multiple frequency coils).

The minelab coil looks as simple as it gets, one transmit and one receiver circuit, 4 wires.

This particular SEF coil has at least three circuits though, what do they all do?

Just interested. It's clear i need bespoke coil.

Thanks,

bmp001

bmp001

Post by bmp001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:45 am

Junior wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am
I wouldn't even go there. Sell it and get the proper item. Crawford's buy / sell second hand coils give them a look ::g Crawford's are showing a coiltek s/h 12x8 for 60 quid it fits other minelab models u would have to ask if suitable for the Quattro ::g
Thanks. From what I've read the correct SEF coil looks like the one I want - seems a safe bet as a good improvement on the standard coil. I'd take a Minelab Procoil if one popped up though.

bmp001

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:13 pm

"Is there somewhere to find out the concepts used in coils ?"
I recommend registering with the technical forum Geotech1 dot Com, where you'll find angry East Europeans plenty of in-depth stuff on repairing/building/modifying detectors and other related technologies. The site's owners, Carl and George, have also written a book titled "Inside the Metal Detector", should you be more curious.

"I get that there are transmit and receive circuits, probably amplifier circuits"
Correct, putting the pre-amplifier inside the coil is a technique used primarily by Minelab, all their multi-freq machines have this, and their X-Terra range.

"The Minelab coil looks as simple as it gets, one transmit and one receiver circuit, 4 wires.
... and the pre-amp.

"This particular SEF coil has at least three circuits though, what do they all do?
The T2 coil is quite straight-forwards, don't be fooled by how many wires you see. SEF likely use the same cable for all their different coils, regardless of whether the particular coil actually uses all of the conductors.

bmp001

Post by bmp001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Fusion,

That is excellent info, just what i was looking for. Thank you again for taking the time ::g ::g ::g

As soon as i get a chance i will spend some time attempting to educate myself on the subject of coils. I'll look out for the grumpy guys too ...

Cheers,

Return to “Minelab Forum”