Minelab models variations

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
Devon steve

Minelab models variations

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi all. Is the only difference between the Explorer, the Safari and the Etrac the fact they are just newer models? All FBS? All waterproof coils?

Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

slowsweep

Re: Minelab models variations

Post by slowsweep » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 am

Devon steve wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:47 pm
Hi all. Is the only difference between the Explorer, the Safari and the Etrac the fact they are just newer models? All FBS? All waterproof coils?
"Yes", and Minelab would have got away with it if it hadnt been for those meddling kids ):=
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 am

slowsweep wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 am
Devon steve wrote:
"Yes", and Minelab would have got away with it if it hadnt been for those meddling kids ):=
Hmm so if they all basically the same then why do people pay huge money for newer albeit the same machines? Ok, so sovereign GT, Explorer, safari, Etrac or what the hell, a CTX 3030? Eeny meeny minelab mo.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:06 am

You should be able to download the specifics from the official Minelab site. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:23 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:06 am
You should be able to download the specifics from the official Minelab site. Regards ss47
Thanks mate I'll take a look
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:02 am

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:09 am

Same basic operating system but a huge difference in the amount of control that an operator can exercise over the settings. :D
Equinox 800 x2

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am

More variation of settings.
More user adjustments.
Additional filters.
Faster processors.
Audio improvements.

Apart from that.... all the same! =)) =))
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am

Devon steve wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 am
slowsweep wrote:
Devon steve wrote:
Hmm so if they all basically the same then why do people pay huge money for newer albeit the same machines? Ok, so sovereign GT, Explorer, safari, Etrac or what the hell, a CTX 3030? Eeny meeny minelab mo.
Seriously mate, if you are asking this question stay well clear of these machines and get something that is easy to operate and understand like the equinox series or a ding ding detector ;)

GL&HH
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 am

hello, its always been the same with minelab, but those mentioned are very good machines, you forgot the Elite , some like the latest up to date all whistle and bells other like the solid dependable detector that the have used for years in some cases not even with a screen, now we have the Equinox a classic example of media hype has made this a top seller yet we see now 2 nd available what happened there? setting up a computer type metal detector takes time/knowledge/ and understanding, thats off the pre sets, same as knowing the Khz difference, FBS/BBS VLF/ PI, i only ever used my minelab safari in 1 progamme and found the FBS searching method best, i started with a Cibola many many years ago, so my advice is do the research, buy what you like, get to know the machine and happy digging.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 am

hello, seems i broke the rules by the mention of another brand rather than the Equinox but i stand by my post on Minelab,

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 am
hello, seems i broke the rules by the mention of another brand rather than the Equinox but i stand by my post on Minelab,
These things do happen! ..........but happily here's a link to prevent a repeat indiscretion 8-|
Regards ss47. ::g

app.php/rules
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am
garrettoldboy wrote:
These things do happen! ..........but happily here's a link to prevent a repeat indiscretion 8-|

app.php/rules
hello, thanks SS47, looking at your list of detectors like me you must have been doing a long time? all very good classic machines that will keep up with the best of em. cheers

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:49 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 am
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am
garrettoldboy wrote:

app.php/rules
hello, thanks SS47, looking at your list of detectors like me you must have been doing a long time? all very good classic machines that will keep up with the best of em. cheers
I have been detecting since about 1970 and I can recall several ground breaking machines which dramatically changed how we detected, and rather more which didn't. :D While I completely agree about learning your machine I really don't hanker after my little orange BFO at all. To me there is no doubt that 'modern' high tech detectors can offer some serious advantages to those that are prepared to put in the time to learn how to use them. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:49 pm
To me there is no doubt that 'modern' high tech detectors can offer some serious advantages to those that are prepared to put in the time to learn how to use them.
And there we have the thing in a nutshell.
It isn't just about the modern high tech detector. Its how much time you have available, or are prepared to spend if it is available.
If you haven't got the time to actually master all the bells and whistles on a high tech machine it could be that you would be better off going for something less complex that requires less time to master and which you can get the most out of. In my experience, having lots of options and settings can be very confusing, and not remotely enjoyable, unless you really know what you are doing.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:54 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm
fred wrote:
To me there is no doubt that 'modern' high tech detectors can offer some serious advantages to those that are prepared to put in the time to learn how to use them.
It isn't just about the modern high tech detector. Its how much time you have available, or are prepared to spend if it is available.
If you haven't got the time to actually master all the bells and whistles on a high tech machine it could be that you would be better off going for something less complex that requires less time to master and which you can get the most out of. In my experience, having lots of options and settings can be very confusing, and not remotely enjoyable, unless you really know what you are doing.
Even the more complicated machines are very easy to use once you know how to make them go. It's one of the great advantages of clubs, and to a slightly lesser extent online communities, that once one person knows what they are doing it is a simple matter to pass on that knowledge. With help from some of the other early adopters I learned the Nox over about 3 months of blood, sweat and tears but it only took my detecting partner three or four trips before he could do just about everything that I could. ::g

Probably still plenty more to learn of course but, for me anyway, sqeezing the last little bit of performance out of the machine is part of the fun. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:30 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm
fred wrote:
Lol I thought you were considering an Equinox? You’d love it I’m sure ::g.

The high tech machines are just like high tech cars - there’s actually less to do if you want it to just work. Obviously tweaking it helps but, like a car, using cruise control, parking assist etc isn’t needed to just get you from A to B.
XP Deus !!£$

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:27 pm

I AM considering an Equinox. When I say considering I mean 'waiting till I have the money'. I have high hopes that that will be before the new season really gets into gear.
When I responded to Fred it wasn't really with me in mind. I have had a variety of detectors from basic to high tech over the years and have striven to get the best out them all. Sometimes I have come closer than others.
When we say we like a machine or not what we really mean I think is that we are able to gel with it in order to get the encouragement we need to achieve somewhere near the best possible results with it.

I think some newbies seriously underestimate the time and thought someone like Fred puts into understanding the way his machine communicates and operates. It is very much about patience and perseverance of course not mimicking magic settings that suit someone elses land and not your own.
Anyway, very much looking forward to the Equinox. I will not be giving up my GMP...we have formed a great partnership and found first-rate stuff together. (let's not forget it IS about what you find not what you swing lol My GMP has paid for itself in terms of finds...even if just valued as bullion....many times over) )I am prepared to spend the next 12 months forging the beginnings of a similar partnership with my Nox. I am sure I will get a bit frustrated at times. lol. I have no-one to swap notes with here in the back of beyond so it will be very much my own learning curve.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 pm

Hopefully the Nox will pleasantly surprise you. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 am

slowsweep wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am
Devon steve wrote:
slowsweep wrote:

Seriously mate, if you are asking this question stay well clear of these machines and get something that is easy to operate and understand like the equinox series or a ding ding detector ;)

GL&HH
What do you mean by this? Asking questions is the only way to learn? I dint want to buy a machine I'm going to grow out of in two months? I want a machine I can grow into and learn inside out? I've got two machines already. A Q40 and a sea hunter and getting to grips with both of them. I wanted to see comparisons between the technology if that's OK? Think I'll leave it a month or two then get a ctx 3030 👍
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:15 am

Devon steve wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 am
slowsweep wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am
Devon steve wrote:

GL&HH
What do you mean by this? Asking questions is the only way to learn? I dint want to buy a machine I'm going to grow out of in two months? I want a machine I can grow into and learn inside out? I've got two machines already. A Q40 and a sea hunter and getting to grips with both of them. I wanted to see comparisons between the technology if that's OK? Think I'll leave it a month or two then get a ctx 3030 👍
Choosing a new detector really shouldn't be just a lucky dip! However, each of the machines that you are considering would require several pages of writing just to explain the basics. Very fortunately most of this hard work has already been done.

If you read up about the machines the technical differences will soon become very apparent. Along the way you will also pick up lots of personal opinions about the machines as well as tips on how to use them.

Once you've done this we can probably sort out any specific questions quite easily. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

holloway

Post by holloway » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am

Steve i have an Etrac and i have become more impressed with it as i have learned how to use it over the last year and a half .Then one day i realised that i was missing a lot of detecting days because of the rain also my arm and shoulders started to ache after an hour or two so i bought a harness.
I was always convinced that if i walked over something then the Etrac would find it.
I thought it would be a perfect machine if it was lighter and waterproof but it isnt so i started to look elsewere and along came the Equinox after reading all of the reviews on this forum i decided to treat myself to one .i think using a Minelab machine has helped shorten the learning process but i am happy to keep asking questions on the forum and will get there in the end.
In short the Etrac is only spoiled by not being waterproof and being too heavy .....for me anyway.

Sorry meant to post this under Etrac waterproof (not concentrating)

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 am
hello, its always been the same with minelab, but those mentioned are very good machines, you forgot the Elite , some like the latest up to date all whistle and bells other like the solid dependable detector that the have used for years in some cases not even with a screen, now we have the Equinox a classic example of media hype has made this a top seller yet we see now 2 nd available what happened there? setting up a computer type metal detector takes time/knowledge/ and understanding, thats off the pre sets, same as knowing the Khz difference, FBS/BBS VLF/ PI, i only ever used my minelab safari in 1 progamme and found the FBS searching method best, i started with a Cibola many many years ago, so my advice is do the research, buy what you like, get to know the machine and happy digging.
hello, note i only ever used my Safari in 1 programme on land, i never much bothered looking at the screen much just maybe to clarify a signal, just detected by the different sounds, rarely dug iron, i have great faith in FBS technology where you have a continuing Khz spectrum, shame it was so heavy, where those i knew had Etracs spent a lot of time doing settings i just switched on a go.

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 am

holloway wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am
Steve i have an Etrac and i have become more impressed with it as i have learned how to use it over the last year and a half .Then one day i realised that i was missing a lot of detecting days because of the rain also my arm and shoulders started to ache after an hour or two so i bought a harness.
I was always convinced that if i walked over something then the Etrac would find it.
I thought it would be a perfect machine if it was lighter and waterproof but it isnt so i started to look elsewere and along came the Equinox after reading all of the reviews on this forum i decided to treat myself to one .i think using a Minelab machine has helped shorten the learning process but i am happy to keep asking questions on the forum and will get there in the end.
In short the Etrac is only spoiled by not being waterproof and being too heavy .....for me anyway.

Never fancied a CTX 3030 after the Etrak mate?
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

holloway

Post by holloway » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Devon steve wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 am
holloway wrote:

Never felt i was missing much Steve, light weight and waterproof was what i wanted, time will tell if i get the hang of the Equinox in the meantime the Etrac will stay. I used to know another Devonsteve posted on a shooting forum not you was it ?

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:39 pm

holloway wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Devon steve wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 am
holloway wrote:

Never felt i was missing much Steve, light weight and waterproof was what i wanted, time will tell if i get the hang of the Equinox in the meantime the Etrac will stay. I used to know another Devonsteve posted on a shooting forum not you was it ?

Don't think so mate. I was well into my guns when I was younger but events meant it was now longer a viable hobby to me. I'll carry on looking I think until I see a cheap etrac or ctx.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

Devon steve

So.....is FBS worth it?

Post by Devon steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all, still looking for a one size fits all detector with a good bias towards the beach. I keep looking at the minelabs (explorer 2, safari,etrace, sovereign) mainly because of the FBS technology. Does this really work? Does it detect in all the frequencies at once? Or one at a time?. So basically, is it worth going to minelab for the FBS or is it a sales gimmick?
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

jcmaloney

Re: So.....is FBS worth it?

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am

Devon steve wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am
Hi all, still looking for a one size fits all detector with a good bias towards the beach. I keep looking at the minelabs (explorer 2, safari,etrace, sovereign) mainly because of the FBS technology. Does this really work? Does it detect in all the frequencies at once? Or one at a time?. So basically, is it worth going to minelab for the FBS or is it a sales gimmick?
From your list, for land with a beach bias.............. E-Trac. ::g

FBS "cycles through" the frequency range, very quickly, so yes it does use all the frequencies over a cycle.

What you will learn is that using your ears and learning the tones is much, much,much more important than the numbers displayed which are the machines "estimate" of the target.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Devon steve

Re: So.....is FBS worth it?

Post by Devon steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

jcmaloney wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am
Devon steve wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am
From your list, for land with a beach bias.............. E-Trac. ::g

FBS "cycles through" the frequency range, very quickly, so yes it does use all the frequencies over a cycle.

What you will learn is that using your ears and learning the tones is much, much,much more important than the numbers displayed which are the machines "estimate" of the target.

Like the Etrac mate but it's at the high end of the budget. The explorer seems to run pretty much the same tech as the Etrac. Thought I'd try the cheaper explorer 2 before lolling at the Etrac.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Explorer II then........ hard to get hold of though because folk keep hold of them which tells you how good they are. ::g

Return to “Minelab Forum”