Minelab models variations

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
fred

Re: Minelab models variations

Post by fred » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm

jcmaloney wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm
Explorer II then........ hard to get hold of though because folk keep hold of them which tells you how good they are. ::g
They certainly were good but there are not many on the auction site that we must not mention the name of and some of those look a tad dubious.

A real problem with the Explorer 2 is that the machine hasn't been supported by Minelab for many years and, depending upon exactly what has gone wrong, when they do break down you might have trouble getting them repaired. ::g

Equinox 800 x2

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Explorer II then........ hard to get hold of though because folk keep hold of them which tells you how good they are. ::g
Yeah a couple on ebay at the moment but they sure hold their money lol. I'll have a closer look ๐Ÿ‘
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:04 pm

fred wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm
They certainly were good but there are not many on the auction site that we must not mention the name of and some of those look a tad dubious.

A real problem with the Explorer 2 is that the machine hasn't been supported by Minelab for many years and, depending upon exactly what has gone wrong, when they do break down you might have trouble getting them repaired. ::g
Yeah that's my only worry Fred ๐Ÿ˜”
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 am

Steve Cox at MSR still repairs & services ExpII`s think he has generic parts such as control panels etc. https://metaldetectorrepair.com/
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am

Each one is an improvement on the last, all be it minor differences. I went from an Explorer II SE Pro to a CTX and the latter has more adjustments for different sites and faster recovery, all the other differences are just add ons like GPS and a more informative screen, the latter is great for telling what is deep iron.

As said on other posts, learning what you have can far out way what machine you use.

There are 24 versions of a Spitfire (wiki) all with little modifications and tweaks, but at the end of the day they are all Spitfires =)) but I am sure budget permitting we would all prefer the latest one ::g

Multifrequency is probably the most important difference above other makes and is what makes most Minelabs a good all round machine. For the record I also have a single frequency machine as the two types perform very differently.

Multifrequency for Pasture and Beach.
Single frequency for large air gaps, ie stubble and fluffy soil. Something Minlabes are not good at.

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Dave8472 wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am
Each one is an improvement on the last, all be it minor differences. I went from an Explorer II SE Pro to a CTX and the latter has more adjustments for different sites and faster recovery, all the other differences are just add ons like GPS and a more informative screen, the latter is great for telling what is deep iron.

As said on other posts, learning what you have can far out way what machine you use.

There are 24 versions of a Spitfire (wiki) all with little modifications and tweaks, but at the end of the day they are all Spitfires =)) but I am sure budget permitting we would all prefer the latest one ::g

Multifrequency is probably the most important difference above other makes and is what makes most Minelabs a good all round machine. For the record I also have a single frequency machine as the two types perform very differently.

Multifrequency for Pasture and Beach.
Single frequency for large air gaps, ie stubble and fluffy soil. Something Minlabes are not good at.

Except of course the latest Minelab multifrequency machines also now have single frequency options. :D I look forward to trying my Nox on fluffy soil after the harvest. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Fell Wanderer

Post by Fell Wanderer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Dave8472 wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am
Technology is contantly evolving and while there may be only small incrimental changes between some earlier models of Minelab detector. Sometimes the changes are enough to make people want to upgrade to the latest machine, like when the technology changes from BBS to FBS or FBS 2 etc.. My Sovereign GT was beginning to fall apart with a loose battery pack and a dodgy switch, I knew it was time to upgrade but to what?. It made sense for me coming from an old BBS machine to go for the latest multi frequency technology like an Equinox or CTX which has the advantage of being fully waterproof, something my Sovereign was not.
Equinox 800
Sovereign GT

Return to โ€œMinelab Forumโ€