Experience of CTX3030 Compared to Equinox on beaches

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
cammann

Experience of CTX3030 Compared to Equinox on beaches

Post by cammann » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am

Hi, does anyone had experience of using both CTX3030 and Equinox on beaches

I love a bit of beach detecting and have been using my Deus so far but its not perfect on wet sand.
Weight is important to me (so Equinox is a definite runner) but have heard the CTX is better. Its a heck of a lot heavier than the Equinox and more expensive so I'd like to find out more form people who've used them before committing to buying a new machine.

XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

Hairyhands

Re: Experience of the CTX3030 Compared to the Equinox on beaches

Post by Hairyhands » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

I wouldnt say the CTX is better, certainly not £1000 better, this is just my opinion of course. The nox will perform very well and is light.

Even the salesman where i brought the Nox also sells the CTX said, i don't understand why you would now buy a CTX over the Nox!!!

fred

Re: Experience of the CTX3030 Compared to the Equinox on beaches

Post by fred » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Hairyhands wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am
I wouldnt say the CTX is better, certainly not £1000 better, this is just my opinion of course. The nox will perform very well and is light.

Even the salesman where i brought the Nox also sells the CTX said, i don't understand why you would now buy a CTX over the Nox!!!

I was a great fan of the CTX on beaches and I did extremely well with it. The CTX with the stock coil will find very deep targets on beaches and with a large coil almose undiggably deep. With a bit of stem adjustment it is well balanced with both coils but is still pretty heavy, especially with the larger one. The screen and number target IDs are fairly precise on targets up to about a foot deep and the sound ID good for a few inches more. Learning the setup for deep signals and exactly what to listen out for is a pig and takes a long while to get really proficient.

My gut feeling is that the Nox with a 15 inch coil gets about the same depth as a CTX with a stock coil but is far easier to swing and use, much more sensitive and deals with iron much better. The target ID on the Nox is just about adequate if you are just coinshooting for modern losses otherwise its in pretty useless as each number can be a wide range of targets. As I dig everything that isn't obviously iron anyway that doesn't worry me. You still need to learn how to set up and use the detector properly if you want to hit the really deep targets.

Personally I think that your detector salesman was right. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

cammann

Re: Experience of CTX3030 Compared to Equinox on beaches

Post by cammann » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks Hairyhands and Fred - thats really helpful input.

The inaccurate target ID which Fred mentioned is the only thing putting me off. Perhaps the next software update will improve things in this respect?
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Don't get hung up on target id. Once up and running and you've tuned into the nox you'll know exactly what to dig and what to ignore. It really is a fab machine

fred

Post by fred » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Hairyhands wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm
Don't get hung up on target id. Once up and running and you've tuned into the nox you'll know exactly what to dig and what to ignore. It really is a fab machine
Very true. ::g

The target ID is not inaccurate just imprecise. I would have thought that using any sort of target ID to decide what to dig is a very risky strategy indeed with any machine. It is much safer to use it to decide what not to dig. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 pm

fred wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Hairyhands wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm
Very true. ::g

The target ID is not inaccurate just imprecise. I would have thought that using any sort of target ID to decide what to dig is a very risky strategy indeed with any machine. It is much safer to use it to decide what not to dig. :D
Fred are we salesman :)) we should be

cammann

Post by cammann » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am

so, target ID aside, are the tones consistent? i.e., is a diggable target still getting a diggable tone?
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 am

cammann wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am
so, target ID aside, are the tones consistent? i.e., is a diggable target still getting a diggable tone?
Most defiantly. I run in all metal and dig all diggable tones

fred

Post by fred » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:14 am

Hairyhands wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 am
cammann wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am
Most defiantly. I run in all metal and dig all diggable tones

Good targets within range always sound good, however, they do get fainter at depth, say around the 10 iches or foot mark for coins on land, so you need to listen out for more than just obvious screams. Just as you get to the limits of depth, which is a few inches more, the signals become broken, one way, inconsistent or seem to have iron in them. I love them because on my pasture the deep targets are generally the better bits. For me they are still diggable because I know what they sound like but until you do they may be mistaken for a junk target. I've also had very deep bits of larger nonferrous on land.

Some of the Youtube depth tests indicate this nicely and I particularly like the one by Sid from The Searcher.

Similar situation on beaches but good targets at depth mostly seem to get fainter and narrower before starting to sound like iron, probably to do with the basic mode settings. The Nox, like all Minelabs, tends to go deeper in wet sand than it does on land and at those sorts of depth any rules about target ID are virtually useless and you are almost completely relying on experience. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi cammann

I don’t have any experience of using the CTX, but as far as the Nox is concerned I would say that Fred’s advice is, as always, bang on!

It is definitely a machine that takes time in order to learn how to interpret the information, but the results are well worth it. My previous detectors have been pretty much of the screaming ‘dig me’ ilk, but the TIDs and signals on the Nox require a bit of learning and the results are definitely better once you get your ears ‘in’. Initially, I was digging the ‘definites’. Signals in the higher teens and above should never be ignored even though they can be deep 303 cartridges or flat shotties, but it was the positive TIDs below 9 that caused me confusion. My field is peppered with those tiny cartridges and airgun pellets, etc. which tend to come in at a TID of 7/8 and I naively began to ignore them to maximise my field time, but a fairly deep cut hammered and a tiny Roman soon taught me differently. Well, we all live and learn.

In short: Fred is definitely right in that you need to take time to learn to interpret and use your ears rather than eyes to get results. When I was upgrading I had a similar choice between CTX and Nox. Given the considerable difference in both cost and weight, and any potential limited benefits I went for the Nox and I definitely can’t see me changing any time soon.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

cammann

Post by cammann » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks Guys - I guess I'd better look out for my next machine then now. Saw a '600 on Fleabay for about £560 but am holding out for an '800 as I'd heard you cant make changes ot the stock programs on the '600 like you can on the '800. I used to have a Safari which was very productive once I'd made some changes to the stock programs so I expect a little tweaking here and there will be necessary.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Both good machines Alex, but on balance I would lean to the 800 if you can go the extra.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

fred

Post by fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Funnily enough this thread prompted me to finally decide that I am never likely to use my CTXs again. I am now in the process of scrubbing them down and getting all the bits together so that I can sell them. ::g

I gave away my Explorer II a few days ago and have lots of detector parts also being sold. My attic, bedroom, back room and mancave are looking more spacious already. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

cammann

Post by cammann » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Blimey Fred, selling the CTX....thats a pretty serious commitment.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250

fred

Post by fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 pm

cammann wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:52 pm
Two CTXs'! Shows just how good that I think that the Nox is. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 pm
cammann wrote:
There are a lot of CTX's not being used now, most of the users in our club have switched to the Nox. I have switched to a Nox for beach and land making a couple of machines redundant.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

fred

Post by fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Machinist wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm
fred wrote:
cammann wrote:
There are a lot of CTX's not being used now, most of the users in our club have switched to the Nox. I have switched to a Nox for beach and land making a couple of machines redundant.

Ray

Many moons ago I said in one of my posts just after I got my first Nox that I thought that was going to be a good 'un. I think that time has borne that out. It certainly isn't perfect but it's damn good. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm
Machinist wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm
fred wrote:

Ray

Many moons ago I said in one of my posts just after I got my first Nox that I thought that was going to be a good 'un. I think that time has borne that out. It certainly isn't perfect but it's damn good. :D
u;@ He did, he advised me, it has and it is! :D
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Return to “Minelab Forum”