Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
User avatar
beaubrummell
Posts: 3919
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 pm
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 337 times

Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by beaubrummell » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am

Hi all

Firstly apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section but if I recall correctly posts listed in General Chat go mostly unseen.

Well it's my Birthday today and I've decided that i really should treat myself. I have used the Explorer 2 for a few years now and it's astonished me countless times with the depth of finds it targets. However, on my quiet-ish pasture permissions there are a few places where there is a lot of iron in the ground and the old EX 2 can't pick out the good stuff amongst all that.

As far as I know my land has never been ploughed and so all the good stuff is deep, therefore I'm after a machine that can pick out the good stuff at depth. I know many of you guys have used both machines and so I wondered which machine you would recommend specifically for winkling out deep finds amongst iron.

I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Cheers all


E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Bors » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 pm

The Explorer 2 is no shrinking Violet on depth with the right settings and the right conditions in play, so finding a detector that will find any deeper is going to depend on a few things.
What are you after at depth mainly ?
Is the acclaimed deeper detector truly able to reach a bigger depths or is it really fishermens tales or people finding after coins have dropped from the side of the hole to the bottom of the hole a few times when being dug so making out they`ve found a hammered penny at 14" ?
Coil size can be a help and a hindrance in both Big and small size, so having the right coil for a specific target is as you may well know is an advantage. Some people think that by putting a bigger coil on will get better depth on retrieving "coins" ,well that may not be necessarily so ! Depends on the size of the coin.If its " small coins " then the Bigger coil can sometimes struggle at depth to see them . So Depth is not about just THE detector . Soil Type can also influence the " detection " no matter what detector unless you have.
So finding the detector that will cover ALL the bases and tick all the Right boxes is the 64 million dollar question & If your lucky enough to find it ,please drop me a message. ::g

PS ...Happy 21 st .
Last edited by Bors on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrix
Founder
Posts: 10235
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am
Location: UK South Coast
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 662 times
Contact:

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 pm

beaubrummell wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am
Hi all

Firstly apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section but if I recall correctly posts listed in General Chat go mostly unseen.

We are having more and more people visit the General chat especially the longer term members ::g
The General chat used to be our most popular forum, normally that is where everyone would post to get more views, this was an issue as no one was bothering to post in the dedicated specific forums and thats the reason the General chat was removed from the front page recent topics list, this idea worked and many started posting in the relevant forums to create a far better resource ::g B-)

Unfortunately when we do have General chat posts members will try and add them to specific forums to get more views but we have to keep moving them ;;z

Regarding your topic there is the general Minelab forum and as your topic is about two Minelab machines I have moved it there ::g

mrix

Hairyhands
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:40 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Hairyhands » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Get the Nox you will love it

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2528 times
Been thanked: 6396 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by fred » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:35 pm

A Nox will make your pasture will come alive again and you will wonder how you missed it all. :D Pm me roughly where you are in Essex and I may be able to drop in and give you the chance to swing one. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Bargeman
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 972 times
Been thanked: 1510 times
Contact:

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm

beaubrummell wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am
Hi all

Firstly apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section but if I recall correctly posts listed in General Chat go mostly unseen.

Well it's my Birthday today and I've decided that i really should treat myself. I have used the Explorer 2 for a few years now and it's astonished me countless times with the depth of finds it targets. However, on my quiet-ish pasture permissions there are a few places where there is a lot of iron in the ground and the old EX 2 can't pick out the good stuff amongst all that.

As far as I know my land has never been ploughed and so all the good stuff is deep, therefore I'm after a machine that can pick out the good stuff at depth. I know many of you guys have used both machines and so I wondered which machine you would recommend specifically for winkling out deep finds amongst iron.

I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Cheers all

Happy Birthday ::g

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1169 times
Been thanked: 2096 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Seems like a fine idea for a present, Beau!
Happy Birthday, and I hope whatever you choose gives you many happy returns. :D ::g
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 11579
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4677 times
Been thanked: 5354 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 pm

No idea on your question but happy birthday :-*
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Luke Grey
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:45 pm
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Luke Grey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi beaubrummell,

I had exactly the same quandary.

Spent ages doing research, asking for advice, watching you tube videos, getting opinions and tell you what, the nox 800 is the one. That is unless your a seasoned, experienced and want it’s GPS and display like I did, when I saw the sales pitch.

It was not the cost of the machine that drew me to the 800. It was the thoughts and views of experienced detectorists (most by the way have or had a 3030). My heart was set on a 3030 ( see my posts)

Been out last two days, met a member from here today and he was truly brilliant. He set the nox up for me and it was just brilliant. He also explained how complicated setting the 3030 is.

Also the nox800 is fantastic out of the box. Remember to update the software for coin on edge.

I can happily afford to buy both. But It was not a monetary descion at all after all the research.

So I got the 800.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
beaubrummell
Posts: 3919
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 pm
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 337 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by beaubrummell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks to all for your comments and kind Birthday salutations. ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

jcmaloney
Posts: 2323
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 817 times
Been thanked: 433 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 am

Target ID, separation and depth will be far, far better on the CTX. ::g
The Nox will have the edge on speed and shallow, small stuff.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

stuartj
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by stuartj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 am

Happy birthday and good luck whichever you choose!
XP Goldmaxx power V4
C scope CS5MX
C scope CS1MX
GP pinpointer
NCMD member

Junior
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:53 pm
Has thanked: 329 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Junior » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm

"""""" However, on my quiet-ish pasture permissions there are a few places where there is a lot of iron in the ground and the old EX 2 can't pick out the good stuff amongst all that.

As far as I know my land has never been ploughed and so all the good stuff is deep, therefore I'm after a machine that can pick out the good stuff at depth. I know many of you guys have used both machines and so I wondered which machine you would recommend specifically for winkling out deep finds amongst iron."""""


I would say the 3030 will blank over iron as per the explorer....I flit from a French brand to the 3030 ...have the other detector livened up my finds rate no....and vise versa .... don't b disappointed if your new detector finds nowt.... in my case it's prob not there in the first place , the land we had had been done by a bloke who used to grid it and hunt in all metal...we then got on it for 13 yrs so yes the plough does drag stuff up ..... I'd say get the equinox :D

slowsweep
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by slowsweep » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:28 pm

although i consider the ctx to be the superior of the 2 machines id have to say go with the nox800 purely for the reason that it wont take as long to master.

GL&HH
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
Machinist
Posts: 2320
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: DANVM
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Machinist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm

slowsweep wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:28 pm
although i consider the ctx to be the superior of the 2 machines id have to say go with the nox800 purely for the reason that it wont take as long to master.

GL&HH
And your muscles will thank you due to the lower weight and better balance of the Nox.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

jcmaloney
Posts: 2323
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 817 times
Been thanked: 433 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Junior wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm
"""""" However, on my quiet-ish pasture permissions there are a few places where there is a lot of iron in the ground and the old EX 2 can't pick out the good stuff amongst all that.

As far as I know my land has never been ploughed and so all the good stuff is deep, therefore I'm after a machine that can pick out the good stuff at depth. I know many of you guys have used both machines and so I wondered which machine you would recommend specifically for winkling out deep finds amongst iron."""""


I would say the 3030 will blank over iron as per the explorer....I flit from a French brand to the 3030 ...have the other detector livened up my finds rate no....and vise versa .... don't b disappointed if your new detector finds nowt.... in my case it's prob not there in the first place , the land we had had been done by a bloke who used to grid it and hunt in all metal...we then got on it for 13 yrs so yes the plough does drag stuff up ..... I'd say get the equinox :D
Then the user is using the machines capabilities incorrectly. ::g
With a multi frequency, multi tone machine in your hand you don`t need discrimination.
Set the iron to squeal and listen for the non ferrous "bumhs" and tonal chirps.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

slowsweep
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by slowsweep » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Machinist wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm
slowsweep wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:28 pm
although i consider the ctx to be the superior of the 2 machines id have to say go with the nox800 purely for the reason that it wont take as long to master.

GL&HH
And your muscles will thank you due to the lower weight and better balance of the Nox.

Ray
i never had a problem with the weight of the ctx as it was extremely well balanced with the stock coil fitted ::g
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Bors » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Well if your Young & fit or Your middle aged and fit ,or old and fit weight won`t be an issue. Sadly as you get older , you can become weaker or your health won`t let you carry weighty things around without tiring you out and then weight can become a real big issue . Its not really much of a help if the detectors well balanced if you have any of the above issues. Balanced or not ,you still have to carry it and Swing it even if its on a bungee .
I `d say this is partially why Minelabs Equinox has become popular . Minelab finally realised there weighty detectors were being an issue.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2528 times
Been thanked: 6396 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by fred » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:08 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 am
Target ID, separation and depth will be far, far better on the CTX. ::g
The Nox will have the edge on speed and shallow, small stuff.
The visual target ID is indeed much more accurate on the CTX, depending upon how you set up the sound ID is about the same. The Nox has far superior target separation though and, once you've got the hang of it, it works at some pretty extreme depths too. :D
Equinox 800 x2

slowsweep
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:05 am

Bors wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Well if your Young & fit or Your middle aged and fit ,or old and fit weight won`t be an issue. Sadly as you get older , you can become weaker or your health won`t let you carry weighty things around without tiring you out and then weight can become a real big issue . Its not really much of a help if the detectors well balanced if you have any of the above issues. Balanced or not ,you still have to carry it and Swing it even if its on a bungee .
I `d say this is partially why Minelabs Equinox has become popular . Minelab finally realised there weighty detectors were being an issue.
anyone who considers buying a CTX 3030 obviously doesnt have a problem with its weight otherwise they would not consider it in the 1st place ::g
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2528 times
Been thanked: 6396 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by fred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:53 am

jcmaloney wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Then the user is using the machines capabilities incorrectly. ::g
With a multi frequency, multi tone machine in your hand you don`t need discrimination.
Set the iron to squeal and listen for the non ferrous "bumhs" and tonal chirps.
You have perfectly described how I don't use the Nox and how I never used the ExII or the CTX. :D

For me the low tones are iron and the higher tones are viable targets. I sympathise about your well detected pasture but with borderline sounds or ones at extreme depth none of the target IDs work anyway. You have to use your judgement about exactly what you are hearing not rely on the machine to tell you.

The real surprise with the Nox was how many good targets were still left on land which had been heavily detected with different machines for decades. These included signals of the 'how did everybody miss that' type as well as 'hells bells that was small (or faint)' ones. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Bors » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:08 am

Quote slowsweep,......" anyone who considers buying a CTX 3030 obviously doesnt have a problem with its weight otherwise they would not consider it in the 1st place."

With the greatest respect, that`s not altogether true.
I think because , as already been mentioned when first introduced, the hype and the frenzy of the long awaited Minelab CTX 3030 , the rush to see what its all about, plus the feeling of not wanting to miss out on anything, people once again rushed out without fully taking on board what their actually buying, "just in case" their left in the wake of the rush to buy and availability of it runs out, is in their thoughts.
If what you say is true why is it ,in the past before the Nox came out , the biggest reason that people got rid of the 3030 was that they said it was TOO HEAVY !
check the posts on anything to do with the 3030, you`ll see , quotes like ...
"I got rid of mine because of the weight issue." Or ,
" The weight of the 3030 needs to be addressed by Minelab if they want people to carry on buying a Minelab detector" .
or... " all our Club have gone from the 3030 over to the Nox"
Or..... " but was just curious to know if the newer model ctx will be a lightweight animal " ..???

If you think back ,one of the main reasons people got rid of the ETrac was .....the weight issue of that too so minelab have this thing about making thier detectors on the heavy side .
Of course ,weight will not be an issue to some people thats inevitable ,but to many it is.
And so ,isn`t it "coincidental " that with the runaway success of the Deus and its fly-weight approval by detectorists , wouldn`t you say its a teenie bit coincidental that Minelabs next detector out after the heavyweight CTX3030 of 5.2 lbs with std coil , is a much lighter detector of 3.8 lbs ,that could even be said to have great similarity to the Deus in its looks even .
The way that the Nox performs is just the icing on the cake for it.
IF weight didn`t play a big part in things people most like about a detector, why is it that when people talk about a detector, probably the first thing they will mention is something like , "Its lovely and light to swing ", OR, It weighs a ton but, it performs well".
So , weight IS without doubt, a massive factor in a detector which can either make it ,or break it. Or even be a reason to buy one or not so It might be worth considering that on the 3030.

I`d like to offer my Apologies about the alleged ...." waffle " ? ,but if were going to have a "discussion ", lets at least attempt to have one.
Last edited by Bors on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ozadventure
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 171 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Ozadventure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:08 am

For me it’s about personal choice. Both machines have their merits. I have CTX, my partner Nicole has Nox 600 and we go out detecting together every week,

So here’s my take, hands down Nicole will dig more hammies than me, you can bet if I find one then she has two or three, sometimes I don’t get any, we call her hammie girl. For me the Nox is a great coin shooter and it’s fast and that’s important if you want to cover a lot of ground.

I love the CTX and yes it’s difficult to set up but once you are used to it it’s a great machine and i seriously wouldn’t part with it. I tend to dig more artefacts, the CTX is hot on copper, solid silver but not so hot on hammies on the ground we detect on the signals are scratchy and you have to be on your game to winkle them out. It’s also not great with coins on edge. The machine is heavy but well balanced I make it even heavier with the coiltek 14x9 coil but with a harness it’s no bother and I like being able to let go of the detector when I’m digging. To get the best out of the CTX you have to swing slow and if you do it goes deep, I often see people on digs swinging as fast as a deus with the CTX and all you will find zilcho. I love plotting my decent finds on maps and the gps functionality of the CTX is something I love especially when we go back to the same fields.

If I had the money now, I would buy the Nox, it’s light, super fast which is important and although not quite as deep is plenty deep enough and is a hammie machine and I still might buy one 😊
Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

slowsweep
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 am

Bors wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:08 am
Quote slowsweep,......" anyone who considers buying a CTX 3030 obviously doesnt have a problem with its weight otherwise they would not consider it in the 1st place."

With the greatest respect, that`s not altogether true.
I think because , as already been mentioned when first introduced, the hype and the frenzy of the long awaited Minelab CTX 3030 , the rush to see what its all about, plus the feeling of not wanting to miss out on anything, people once again rushed out without fully taking on board what their actually buying, "just in case" their left in the wake of the rush to buy and availability of it runs out, is in their thoughts.
If what you say is true why is it ,in the past before the Nox came out , the biggest reason that people got rid of the 3030 was that they said it was TOO HEAVY !
check the posts on anything to do with the 3030, you`ll see , quotes like ...
"I got rid of mine because of the weight issue." Or ,
" The weight of the 3030 needs to be addressed by Minelab if they want people to carry on buying a Minelab detector" .
or... " all our Club have gone from the 3030 over to the Nox"
Or..... " but was just curious to know if the newer model ctx will be a lightweight animal " ..???

If you think back ,one of the main reasons people got rid of the ETrac was .....the weight issue of it.
Of course ,weight will not be an issue to some people thats inevitable ,but to many it is.
And so ,isn`t it "coincidental " that with the runaway success of the Deus and its fly-weight approval by detectorists , wouldn`t you say its a teenie bit coincidental that Minelabs next detector out after the heavyweight CTX3030 of 5.2 lbs with std coil , is a much lighter detector of 3.8 lbs ,that could even be said to have great similarity to the Deus in its looks even .
The way that the Nox performs is just the icing on the cake for it.
IF weight didn`t play a big part in things people most like about a detector, why is it that when people talk about a detector, probably the first thing they will mention is something like , "Its lovely and light to swing ", OR, It weighs a ton but, it performs well".
So , to conclude ,weight IS without doubt, a massive factor in a detector which can either make it ,or break it. Or even be a reason to buy one or not .

I`d like to offer my Apologies about the alleged ...." waffle " ? ,but if were going to have a "discussion ", lets at least attempt to have one.
the CTX is not a new machine so id assume ppl have a fair idea that it is a weighty detector and the "OP" has been around a bit so im pretty certain he knows this.

PS, of the ppl who sold their CTX sortly after buying 1 most said it was too complicated for them but you are correct about the "Waffle" ;)
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Bors » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am

All I can add is that People will choose , and based on that decision , they will sink or swim . :)

slowsweep
Posts: 2274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am

Bors wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am
All I can add is that People will choose , and based on that decision , they will sink or swim . :)
this thread is about "1" person and "2" machines, neither have sank, i am really struggling to grasp your point in this x;
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
kenleyboy
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 1313 times
Been thanked: 992 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am

I have no experience at all of either model but I am looking to upgrade at some point in the future and leaning more towards the Equinox , so it is interesting to read other users comments and their experiences with their machines .
There are a number of factors that I would consider prior to buying any new machine and weight would be one of them . Personally I am more of a switch on and go type and when I upgraded to the Q40 , I dithered for quite some time because I just dont do what I perceive to be complicated machines but surprisingly it was relatively easy to get to grips with .
The Equinox sounds like a different beast though , but thats just me , anything with a user manual as thick as your arm and I lose the will to live , so perhaps it may not be the machine for me .Lots to think about and maybe with another seasons experience out on the field and then it would be decision time . Out of the two Equinox detectors , the 600 sounds more appealing .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

User avatar
beaubrummell
Posts: 3919
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 pm
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 337 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Lots of food for thought. Regarding weight I've been swinging the Explorer 2 for a few years now so I have a right arm like Popeye and a left arm like Olive Oil :)) Then again, I'm not getting any younger. Thanks for all your input folks. ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2528 times
Been thanked: 6396 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by fred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am
I have no experience at all of either model but I am looking to upgrade at some point in the future and leaning more towards the Equinox , so it is interesting to read other users comments and their experiences with their machines .
There are a number of factors that I would consider prior to buying any new machine and weight would be one of them . Personally I am more of a switch on and go type and when I upgraded to the Q40 , I dithered for quite some time because I just dont do what I perceive to be complicated machines but surprisingly it was relatively easy to get to grips with .
The Equinox sounds like a different beast though , but thats just me , anything with a user manual as thick as your arm and I lose the will to live , so perhaps it may not be the machine for me .Lots to think about and maybe with another seasons experience out on the field and then it would be decision time . Out of the two Equinox detectors , the 600 sounds more appealing .

Just get somebody to show you the basics and you'll be fine within about 20 minutes. Obviously it will take longer to learn it properly. Once chap that I showed how to use his brand new 800 had a very nice Viking strapend from about 15 inches down about quarter of an hour later. That sort of thing does wonders for your confidence in a new machine.

When I turn on the Nox there are normally either four or five buttons to press in exactly the same order each time. If you can't handle that then making toast in the morning must be a real lottery for you! :D Occasionally I do make other adjustments but that's just me being me. It will be different to your present machine though. ::g

The 600 is no different to use than the 800, it just has a slightly coarser tuning options and a few other differences.
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
kenleyboy
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 1313 times
Been thanked: 992 times

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am
I have no experience at all of either model but I am looking to upgrade at some point in the future and leaning more towards the Equinox , so it is interesting to read other users comments and their experiences with their machines .
There are a number of factors that I would consider prior to buying any new machine and weight would be one of them . Personally I am more of a switch on and go type and when I upgraded to the Q40 , I dithered for quite some time because I just dont do what I perceive to be complicated machines but surprisingly it was relatively easy to get to grips with .
The Equinox sounds like a different beast though , but thats just me , anything with a user manual as thick as your arm and I lose the will to live , so perhaps it may not be the machine for me .Lots to think about and maybe with another seasons experience out on the field and then it would be decision time . Out of the two Equinox detectors , the 600 sounds more appealing .

Just get somebody to show you the basics and you'll be fine within about 20 minutes. Obviously it will take longer to learn it properly. Once chap that I showed how to use his brand new 800 had a very nice Viking strapend from about 15 inches down about quarter of an hour later. That sort of thing does wonders for your confidence in a new machine.

When I turn on the Nox there are normally either four or five buttons to press in exactly the same order each time. If you can't handle that then making toast in the morning must be a real lottery for you! :D Occasionally I do make other adjustments but that's just me being me. It will be different to your present machine though. ::g

The 600 is no different to use than the 800, it just has a slightly coarser tuning options and a few other differences.
Trouble is Fred , I always end up burning the toast :))
Joking aside , thanks for the input . As you say the basics are there but will take time to learn from it over a course of time .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab Forum”