Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro - Is it any good on pasture ?

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
geoffb

Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro - Is it any good on pasture ?

Post by geoffb » Fri May 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Good Day To You All

Its the time of year that for most of us only pasture land is available for detecting.
I currently use a Teknetics T2 SE and on cultivated land I can't fault it. It does the business.
However, I have been using it on pasture land and found it to be a little unstable and chattery.
I am also concerned that the depth on finds is normally around the 5 to 6 inches with nothing being found any deeper than that.
I have been detecting for 40 years and in the past I used to use a Fisher 1265 for many years and found that the depth on that machine, on pasture, was brilliant. I found many hammered pennies between 8 and 10 inches down. ( I think this may have made me a bit bias towards 4 KHz detectors).
I do have a Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro which I have had from new. I have only ever used it on the beach and found it to be a superb beach detector. ( I rarely do any beach detecting but have kept it for the odd occasion that I may go.)
Anyway, my question is,
Does anyone use a Sovereign XS 2 pro on pasture land ?.
If you do, could you give me your honest opinion to its performance, results and maybe your settings.
I look forward to your comments.
Thanks,
Geoff
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Hawkeye, Minelab Sov, Minelab Explorer.

parky844

Re: Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro - Is it any good on pasture ?

Post by parky844 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:05 pm

I have used an xs pro for nearly 10 years and found it faultless on any kind of ground but I have a really slow swing , found plenty of coins gold and silver , even on fluffy airy ground I still found stuff , I've upgraded to an etrac but only because of the weight , but I still have the xs pro as its been good to me and still in great condition and not found a better machine for wet sand.

the only probs I've ever had , the rechargeable bat pack didnt last the year and it got expensive buying decent batteries for the pod.
on a rally one year I couldnt get any decent signals as there were a lot of people using the same machine near and around me.
finding it hard to get coil covers for the stock coil.

hope this helped.

atb Parky.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Fri May 30, 2014 8:57 pm

parky844 wrote:I have used an xs pro for nearly 10 years and found it faultless on any kind of ground but I have a really slow swing , found plenty of coins gold and silver , even on fluffy airy ground I still found stuff , I've upgraded to an etrac but only because of the weight , but I still have the xs pro as its been good to me and still in great condition and not found a better machine for wet sand.

the only probs I've ever had , the rechargeable bat pack didnt last the year and it got expensive buying decent batteries for the pod.
on a rally one year I couldnt get any decent signals as there were a lot of people using the same machine near and around me.
finding it hard to get coil covers for the stock coil.

hope this helped.

atb Parky.
Hi Parky,
Many thanks for the info and remarks.
Much appreciated,
Geoff

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat May 31, 2014 12:18 am

Do yourself a finds garden and compare the two machines side by side, I would have done this ages ago if I currently had more than one machine!

It might be the case that there are no finds deeper than five or six inches on your permission? My T2 will regularly pull up pre decimal halfpennies and the like from a measured ten inches, so no real depth worries here.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat May 31, 2014 1:23 am

Ten pence! wrote:Do yourself a finds garden and compare the two machines side by side, I would have done this ages ago if I currently had more than one machine!

It might be the case that there are no finds deeper than five or six inches on your permission? My T2 will regularly pull up pre decimal halfpennies and the like from a measured ten inches, so no real depth worries here.
Hi,
Thanks for advice but I have found that most tests in air or a finds garden do not really simulate the real thing.
I accept your T2 may find pre decimal half pennies at 10 inches but mine does not. So, if you ever want to sell yours, let me know. (Only joking).
Thanks anyway,
Geoff

minelabmania

Post by minelabmania » Sat May 31, 2014 7:52 am

Geoff

Have you tried the large coil on your T2 ?

What mode are you running it in ?

Have I got to pop over and give you another lesson ? =))

Catch up soon ::g

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat May 31, 2014 11:22 am

minelabmania wrote:Geoff

Have you tried the large coil on your T2 ?

What mode are you running it in ?

Have I got to pop over and give you another lesson ? =))

Catch up soon ::g
Ay Up Steve,
No, I have still not used the large coil on the T2.
I have only just mastered pinpointing with the standard coil.
I dread to think what my pinpointing skills will be like with the "dustbin lid" coil.
You know I am a much more discerning detectorist than your goodself but, feel free to come over and give me a lesson or two.
I will give you a ring,
Geoff

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Sat May 31, 2014 12:20 pm

You don't say what settings you use on your T2.When I first got mine (standard version 6.5) I moaned on this forum about not getting depth on pasture. Then I changed 2 things. First I started using settings Disc 35, Sens 95, Tones 1+ and I started digging much deeper targets.Then I added the Detech Ultimate Coil and I was digging Georgian coins at an easy 11 inches on a rrgular basis.

Your T2 is a more modern version to the one I had so I'm not sure how the settings I used would work with it but give it a try.

All the best.
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat May 31, 2014 3:00 pm

beaubrummell wrote:You don't say what settings you use on your T2.When I first got mine (standard version 6.5) I moaned on this forum about not getting depth on pasture. Then I changed 2 things. First I started using settings Disc 35, Sens 95, Tones 1+ and I started digging much deeper targets.Then I added the Detech Ultimate Coil and I was digging Georgian coins at an easy 11 inches on a rrgular basis.

Your T2 is a more modern version to the one I had so I'm not sure how the settings I used would work with it but give it a try.

All the best.
Thanks Beau,
I will try your settings and give it a whirl.
It is interesting to note that last Wednesday, I detecting a pasture field and my settings were (as usual), 75.8.2. and the ground balance was auto set at 60. The following day on the same field I tried the settings as the day before and it was chattering and spitting all over the place. I noticed that the ground balance after auto setting was around 85. ( I tried ground balancing in several different areas and could not get it below the 80s.
My question is, why such a difference in settings after 24 hours on the same undisturbed field ?
Thanks,
Geoff

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 am

That does not sound right to me, while you can get a slight variation in the ground balance readings of three or four digits the one you describe seems overly large, is the cable connector tight to the control housing? Are the pins inside clean and undamaged? Perhaps try a coil off of another machine? Having run my T2 up against a mates Quattro on pasture and ploughed fields I 'd be loathe to swap machines.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:19 am

Ten pence! wrote:That does not sound right to me, while you can get a slight variation in the ground balance readings of three or four digits the one you describe seems overly large, is the cable connector tight to the control housing? Are the pins inside clean and undamaged? Perhaps try a coil off of another machine? Having run my T2 up against a mates Quattro on pasture and ploughed fields I 'd be loathe to swap machines.
Thanks for your input.
You can see why I was concerned with the settings on the same field that altered vastly the following day.
I have checked the connectors etc and everything seems ok.
I will try another coil to see if that makes a difference.
Kind regards,
Geoff
PS - I hope readers of the post do not think I am not happy with the T2, as I am very pleased with its capabilities and performance on cultivated land.

Nap

Post by Nap » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 am

All the Sovereigns are great machines on land or beach. I use the Elite. They are deep whether it is pasture or beach ... the only drawback is slow recovery in iron rich areas - thing to do there is to really slow down .. or/and put a smaller coil on for those areas- problem solved!
My stock coil is the Tornado 10" but I put the original 8" concentric Coinsearch coil on in those conditions.
the other 'problem' is Explorers that haven't been ground balanced will cross signal, which can be a pain at rallies.

Really - Sovereigns are great machines - I have 'signal compared' with all sorts of other detectors and never missed a signal that others have signalled, regardless of the detector.

Go for it! ::g ::g ::g

p.s. - to get balance just about perfect I have the control box slung under the arm rest. To stop having to fiddle with the all metal/disc switch when checking signals I opened up the control box, soldered on two cables to the switch, drilled a small hole in the casing, and ran it out through the end of the box up onto a flick switch on the top of the S bend, just right for the thumb (you can get them from Maplin) - works a treat!! ::g
AT Pro & Garrett Pro pin-pointer.
"There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain.

Return to “Minelab Forum”