Joan Allen's to stop distributing Minelabs.

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
bob79

Joan Allen's to stop distributing Minelabs.

Post by bob79 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Just seen elsewhere that Joan Allen's have been told they are no longer allowed to distribute Minelab machines in the UK, only allowed to sell them.
Don't think we have heard the last of the Maplins saga.

Bob.

sweepspeed5

Re: Joan Allen's to stop distributing Minelabs.

Post by sweepspeed5 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Indeed,looks like a change in policy from Minelab;bit of a kick in the teeth for Joan Allen though.

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:26 pm

are minelab starting to lose the plot . after going on one of there detecting days just recently a really poor event with no real showing from any minelab reps etc they did send one guy who was about as much help as a chocolate teapot,just handing out a few leaflets and could,nt really answer any questions .after things like this one wonder why so many are choosing to go the xp route who seem much more in tune with what people want . and before you say i am a minelab user ,but not for much longer. i wonder who will be the retailers now who sell them .if it lowers the price then that is good
Last edited by kopparberg on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Brilliant news if true as perhaps my family business supplier of years standing can get a better deal for us. ::g Jerry.

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 pm

I think it is probably because Maplin has 205 stores it really is a good move for Minelab in terms of sales. But as you say a kick in the teeth for Joan Allen's ;;z
What we do in life echoes in eternity

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Think its a change of policy from minelab, they are now big enough not to need sole distributors, more retailers means more sales ::g
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

oliver

Post by oliver » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:08 pm

The same thing happened to to a friend of mine here in Plymouth he had a small business selling detectors and after a few years of selling minelabs they pulled the plug on him selling them no reason was given. (:| ;;z
Oliver
XP DEUS
MINELAB SOV GT with 13 ultimate DD coil
LASER B3
MUCK DIGGER SAND SCOOP
FLOATING SIEVE
PLASTIC SAND SHOVEL
CHEST WADERS
GARRET PROBE
EVOLUTIONS HAND TROWEL
GARRET PROBE WITH SHEATH

Taxino8

Post by Taxino8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 am

It's may be a kick in the teeth for Joan Allen but hopefully prices will drop.
We detectorists are ripped off all the time by suppliers that have more or less exclusive rights and I am certain that there is a lot of price fixing going on between the importer and the few approved sellers.
Competition is good for us.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
Garrett Propointer
1/2 Share in Garrett ATX

Nosebag

Post by Nosebag » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

JBM wrote:Brilliant news if true as perhaps my family business supplier of years standing can get a better deal for us. ::g Jerry.
I agree with you....I think that there are more commercial reasons behind this move other than the Maplins issue...No doubt in time all will be revealed...

(Bob)
The Power Is All Mine............Spectra V3i Power "fossura minor reperio magis"

RonnoB

Post by RonnoB » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 am

Good for the consumer if prices come down but it is unlikely Maplins will be selling all the "extras" such as digging tools, pouches, books etc.

Newcomers will go to a traditional MD store to compare models and get advice from expert retailers and if they go the Minelab route it will be a box from whoever is cheapest.

Ron

HowardCarter2

Post by HowardCarter2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 am

If they start putting profits before people "simple" don't buy their equipment. ::g ::g ::g
Wonderful things

ray835

Post by ray835 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:33 am

news flash!!!!!!!..........poundland becomes mine labs new distributor =))
xp deus v3.2 ws5 phones..(one mans rubbish is another mans treasure)
optimism is finding a horse shoe then looking for the horse..

Numanoid

Post by Numanoid » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:41 am

A good few years ago I was getting new explorers for 450, shops were 800.
Was a great mark up them days, don't know about now though.

Pifukas

Post by Pifukas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I could never understand why ctx3030 is more expencive in UK than in Poland, Lithuania, Russia... I paid 1540 for a new one 2 years ago in Lithuania.
Last edited by Pifukas on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Profind-25
Auto+3, Ferrous-Coin, Long Sounds, Auto GB ON.

oliver

Post by oliver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Coz we are mugs here. (:|
Oliver
XP DEUS
MINELAB SOV GT with 13 ultimate DD coil
LASER B3
MUCK DIGGER SAND SCOOP
FLOATING SIEVE
PLASTIC SAND SHOVEL
CHEST WADERS
GARRET PROBE
EVOLUTIONS HAND TROWEL
GARRET PROBE WITH SHEATH

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Simple rules of supply & demand, when demand is high, price is high, once first flush of sales over, demand drops so prices drop. Think we are a bit naïve is this country in regards to purchasing new products, should hang fire more and wait for the prices to drop.

ronleake

Post by ronleake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Probably bad news in terms of retail prices. Competition is better for buyers but being a niche market, there is little likelihood of Minelab or Maplin charging less than the market is expecting to pay.
Socks, Trainers, Wellington Boots, Gloves, Underpants, Tracky Trousers,
T shirt, Pullover, Overjacket, Baseball Cap, Spade, Spectacles, Watch, Packed lunch, Coffee flask, FID Card, Car, Optimism, 2 strong bags for my boots,
...and a detector

ronleake

Post by ronleake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Just checked the basic prices without postage for XTerra 505 and today J Allen is £10.00 cheaper than Maplin and £35.00 cheaper than Crawfords who do offer a price match.
Socks, Trainers, Wellington Boots, Gloves, Underpants, Tracky Trousers,
T shirt, Pullover, Overjacket, Baseball Cap, Spade, Spectacles, Watch, Packed lunch, Coffee flask, FID Card, Car, Optimism, 2 strong bags for my boots,
...and a detector

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:21 pm

ray835 wrote:news flash!!!!!!!..........poundland becomes mine labs new distributor =))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Brilliant!

Any product pricing will settle down over time and as already said, the wave of enthusiastic buyers has passed by and they want to keep on emptying the warehouse as old stock becomes ..... older.
I know a fair bit about the world of tennis/squash/badminton rackets and I used to have a bricks & mortar shop. The bigger the shop, the better pricing you got. A racket on the wall could be priced at £100 RRP but sold normally at around £80. It would have cost me perhaps £54.00 + VAT, so £64.80, not a lot of profit there. However the JJB's and Sports Direct, Monkhouse Sports etc could order 200 rackets and pay about £30 per racket. How can you compete with that? I own the UK racket stringers Association, so I am able to provide a top class after sales service on the stringing, plus the right advice to customers. Joan Allen run a business, the staff have families to feed so they need to show a profit. They don't sell too many CTX3030 machines in a week, so they will find it dfficult to heavily discount them. People tend to forget that all important after sales service. Maplins will not be interested in chatting about detectors. They will talk enthusiastically about all kinds of electronic gadgets, I was in their shop an hour ago, but they don't get out detecting.
Minelab are based down in Cork, Ireland and I get over there now and then with my business, have yet to drop in on them though! I chat with the Irish lads and they are not hopeful about where ML is heading, that they have spread more into Australian prospecting machinery and the hobby detectors are sidelined commercially. Des Dunne has left ML as we all know and if they let someone as well respected as Des collect his P60, then they are not showing much commitment to the future of hobby detecting.
The commercial world is a strange place and so we get strange marketing decisions come through that we don't fully understand because we were not sat around the table at the time.
The CTX3030 machine is a top class bit of equipment and I hope it will not be the last of the ML machines to be enjoyed by us all, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 pm

"...they have spread more into Australian prospecting machinery....."

Not surprising as Minelab are owned by an Australian company now ::g

Return to “Minelab Forum”