Which one????

Only topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, Please remember that off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Metal Detectors
cornwalldavid

Which one????

Post by cornwalldavid » Mon May 11, 2015 4:21 pm

HI
I am looking for a detector which I will use 70% on the beach and 30% on farmland. My budget gives me the following choices secondhand quattro or explorer or an xterra 705. What would you recommend?

TinTin

Re: Which one????

Post by TinTin » Mon May 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Just to throw something else in the mix, have you thought about the Makro Racer, very good on land and apparently very stable on wet or dry sand, excellent depth too.

Just a thought

TinTin
Sometimes even the devil on my shoulders whispers.... WTF are you up to now

PaulL

Post by PaulL » Mon May 11, 2015 5:22 pm

My xterra was ok on dry sand but didn't do wet or even damp sand very well , the minelab multi frequency machines are awesome on the beach , i haven't had my etrac long but am totally in Awe of it . For my money it has to be a used minelab fbs machine
Thanks Paul

Skute

Post by Skute » Mon May 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Agreed on the Minelab Sovereign. You can go from wet to dry and back again without touching a nob and without the slightest chatter or phasing. It doesn't really matter which one of the models you choose either. They are all excellent beach detectors. Get a 10 inch Tornado on them (standard on the GT as far as i know) and i doubt you'll find a better beach detector for the money

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 am

Can only comment on The Explorer II. Awesome machine depth wise on pasture but I've never used it on sand. Good luck with your choice.
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Cobs

Post by Cobs » Tue May 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Explorer XS or Explorer II is fine, used both on Sand and Land, brilliant machines ::g
YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning - Contains Treasure n stuff

Minelab CTX 3030 / Minelab Explorer II
Treasure: 1 Gold: 2 Hammered: 2

sponge

Post by sponge » Tue May 12, 2015 12:38 pm

I live on the East coast of Yorkshire & detect the beach frequently.

I have used a Sovereign for the past 20 years - using the GT now - but have had
the Sov 2, Pro & Elite. All have been very good on the beach for me.

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 pm

any of the minelab fbs machines will do you well by the way what part of cornwall are you in we have a club between camborne / redruth if you are interested?
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

cornwalldavid

Post by cornwalldavid » Wed May 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone for their input that has given me a lot to think about....and the Makro Racer looks interesting as well!

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS » Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 pm

David i have sent you a pm re club
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

detectingly

Post by detectingly » Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Here's mt two pence worth...I have an Xterra 705 and I found it ok on dry sand and bonkers on wet sand, but I think that has as much to do with my newbie-ness as with the machine itself. It's taken me a goodly while to start feeling happy with it on dry land, let alone complicated wet sand...But now I'm starting to like it!

Also, if you are in Cornwall, how does that square with 70% beach use, as no foreshore in Cornwall is owned by the Crown Estate...so it's not as easy to go beach detecting as elsewhere in the UK. I think you will have to get permission from the beach owner, who may be private, council, Duchy(?), or other....

Let us know when you make your decision!

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS » Wed May 13, 2015 8:52 pm

detectingly wrote:Here's mt two pence worth...I have an Xterra 705 and I found it ok on dry sand and bonkers on wet sand, but I think that has as much to do with my newbie-ness as with the machine itself. It's taken me a goodly while to start feeling happy with it on dry land, let alone complicated wet sand...But now I'm starting to like it!

Also, if you are in Cornwall, how does that square with 70% beach use, as no foreshore in Cornwall is owned by the Crown Estate...so it's not as easy to go beach detecting as elsewhere in the UK. I think you will have to get permission from the beach owner, who may be private, council, Duchy(?), or other....

Let us know when you make your decision!
there is a list of beachs from the council to detect on others are private or as you say duchy
the duchy still has not set up the permits as yet will this cost more then they will get in return
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

Trenchie

Post by Trenchie » Thu May 14, 2015 8:28 am

Can only comment on the x-terra 705 as I am currently use one. In the beach mode setting its stable on either wet or dry sand. I was impressed by the depth of signal, with targets of over 12" picked up with ease. For my efforts I was recently awarded with a hat full of ring pulls when I was last on the beach. A great machine.
Minelab x-terra 705 & a lucky spade

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS » Thu May 14, 2015 10:25 am

my dad has the 705 and is very happy with it i have the etrac we have checked targets with both machines the 705 seams to pick up most of what the etrac find with no problem i just seem to find more on the beach with the etrac being FBS hope this will help by the way the racer looks a very nice machine also not had a chance to try on yet. also have you considered the Garrett AT PRO this is good on the beach & land very nice machine ::g
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

yellow

Post by yellow » Thu May 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Interesting reading ::g

From personal experience I've had a couple of explorers, and have got the se pro which I've ran for about three years.

Excellent machine for both land and sea,and too be honest I use the same programme for both, actually making it a "on and go" machine.
Sure, they can be heavier than other machines and dependant on what program you use can be noisy and chattery.

Yellow [:)
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

Return to “Minelab Metal Detectors Forum”