Minelab to Close in Ireland

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
mrix
Founder

Re: minelab to close in ireland

Post by mrix » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes I noticed the post also today on our MDF Facebook page, will be interesting to get something official from Minelab themselves on this.
Are they relocating elsewhere in Europe ? are they completely pulling out of Europe ?
I have sent off an email to see what their stance is.
Cheers
mrix

mrix
Founder

Re: Minelab to Close in Ireland

Post by mrix » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Just received this...
We have taken the decision to consolidate our European operations with our American operations in an effort to more efficiently serve our global client base. Going forward we are able to fulfill new and existing orders from our warehouses & operations in Chicago, USA and Dubai, UAE.

This will be a slight change in the fulfilment process for our European and Russian partners in that orders will be filled primarily from our Chicago-based warehouse.

Nothing changes with the support from an account manager perspective. If you have been working with Vincent O’Brien or Malissa Salzinger, please continue to do so – they will remain as our business development leads across the region. We will also continue to add necessary sales & administration business support to the region as needed.

We will also maintain and enhance local product service & repair across Europe and Russia. We have five authorized service centers (ASCs) in Europe (UK, Italy, Czech Republic, Turkey & Greece) and three in Russia (all in Moscow) that are ready to service our mutual Customers’ equipment.
If there are questions, please contact your Business Development Manager or me, directly.
Happy treasure hunting!
Sincererly,
Gary Schafer

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:27 pm

It will be interesting to know who will be servicing or repairing the Excalibur and the Ctx, as both require waterproof testing. No Company does this in the Uk, only Ireland..
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Sad news indeed, I am informed from another source in Ireland that there is still a small office and some staff left in Cork, not sure what their role will be ...
Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Kmarsh wrote:It will be interesting to know who will be servicing or repairing the Excalibur and the Ctx, as both require waterproof testing. No Company does this in the Uk, only Ireland..
Same as what I was thinking. I think this will be quite damaging to the brand and consumer confidence, but only time will tell.

Dave &*(

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 pm

oh dear now i am wondering why i brought a CTX just hope it doesn't go wrong . a nail in the coffin for Minelab in the UK i think ,it wasn't the best selling brand now i think they have made things worse for themselves and there regular users ;;z
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

JBM

Post by JBM » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm

When they threw out Desi Dunne and then others the writing was on the wall.

Mind you it all happened very quickly at the end.

I also have sympathy with the staff effected, but that's the way big firms act these days. :( Jerry.

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Opps just popping over didnt see this post when i posted mine sorry h;@

Not good to see any company close down n move away. ;;z
TF

Oh seen why as I missed this post was its in general chat should it not be in the Minelab section :-/

Quite important to all minelab users i'd have thought B-)

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 pm

they will still have there repair centre in the uk I take it :-/ run by steve cox

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 pm

With Minelab its all about profit,if that means shutting down a facility and moving assembly abroad then that is what they will do,although they say that they have one of the main hubs will be in the US that does not mean they are made in the US,it just means they can provide the product to possibly the most lucrative market.

Why they stopped producing a reasonable popular machine like the Sovereign i am not sure,but they then start producing the Minelab 'Micky Mouse' Go Find series that no one wants is unreal,a White Elephant in the making.

Must admit i have only ever had one Minelab machine and still do the Musketeer,but would never buy another machine from the company,they may be the best machines on the planet but in recent years they do appear to have lost alot of ground in the detecting arena.Of course these ar just my personal opinions.
Just a lurker these days.

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

I had a go on the minelab go find 150 for a few mins. On a patch of beach where ive had a good few coins in a iron infested area. Found 2p and must say it felt cheap but was supprised on its performance.

I think give it time and some nice finds will turn up with the go find range. ::g

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:59 am

lord lovell wrote:they will still have there repair centre in the uk I take it :-/ run by steve cox
:-/

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:25 am

The Ferret wrote, "Oh seen why as I missed this post was its in general chat should it not be in the Minelab section :-/ "

I'm glad this thread wasn't just in the Minelab section as it is interesting to me but I doubt that I would have read it had it just been in that section. I'm not happy buying any detector where there is no UK (or in this case Ireland) based repair centre. Sending a detector off for repairs to foreign climes is an expensive undertaking in itself. Owners of the Blisstool now have to do this since we lost our UK based dealer and repair representative.
If they could get the individual parts or circuit boards, I think someone could make a good living repairing the various detectors that now fall into this category though I suppose they must vary quite a bit internally regarding their complexity. The only reason people send them off to the manufacturer for repair is because of the warranty but quite often the repair required isn't that difficult to carry out for someone with the right knowledge.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:43 am

mrix wrote:Just received this...
muddy fingers wrote:
I'm not happy buying any detector where there is no UK (or in this case Ireland) based repair centre. Sending a detector off for repairs to foreign climes is an expensive undertaking in itself.

We will also maintain and enhance local product service & repair across Europe and Russia. We have five authorized service centers (ASCs) in Europe (UK, Italy, Czech Republic, Turkey & Greece) and three in Russia (all in Moscow) that are ready to service our mutual Customers’ equipment.
If there are questions, please contact your Business Development Manager or me, directly.
Happy treasure hunting!
Sincererly,
Gary Schafer
From Mrix post above, there's a Minelab authorized service centre in the UK. ::g

A ;)

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 am

There is a repair centre in uk run by steve cox so minelab fans should be ok ::g

clint

Post by clint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:20 am

I thought my post was valid regarding how other manufacturers water test repaired units without a European base and even more apt about the Minelab staff losing jobs but it was removed. ..

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

clint

Post by clint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Ahh..must of been the bit about getting on to em for some tshirts and pens. ..sorry! S. Cox is independent. A chap in our club sent a machine for repair on a loose speaker connection and some other small job on another...cost over £100! He got quoted afterwards at a main dealer for same repair at £32!

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm

clint wrote:Ahh..must of been the bit about getting on to em for some tshirts and pens. ..sorry! S. Cox is independent. A chap in our club sent a machine for repair on a loose speaker connection and some other small job on another...cost over £100! He got quoted afterwards at a main dealer for same repair at £32!
Regards
Clint
Don't know about any deleted posts, nothing in moderator logs, but might have been Mike from deep in the forum software ?

Re the last post, I am from the TV/Video repair industry, and repair prices can vary a lot. I would say a dealer may be looking at the bigger picture when it comes to repair costs, as if done at a low rate good chance you will come back and buy your next detector there ? I don't know the repair person you mentioned but sorry to say pricing is a lot more complex than that, all I can add is if they were such minor repairs why he didn't do them himself. Quite often you are paying someone for the knowledge and time rather than parts.

Dave &*(

clint

Post by clint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm

I suppose if you're into such stuff a repair could be attempted but most aren't. .I've had at least two posts gone missing in the last couple of days. .the other was on the shiny Deus shaft thread..saying how they all sounded like a bunch of macho men!

regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:15 pm

muddy fingers wrote:The Ferret wrote, "Oh seen why as I missed this post was its in general chat should it not be in the Minelab section :-/ "

I'm glad this thread wasn't just in the Minelab section as it is interesting to me but I doubt that I would have read it had it just been in that section. I'm not happy buying any detector where there is no UK (or in this case Ireland) based repair centre. Sending a detector off for repairs to foreign climes is an expensive undertaking in itself. Owners of the Blisstool now have to do this since we lost our UK based dealer and repair representative.
If they could get the individual parts or circuit boards, I think someone could make a good living repairing the various detectors that now fall into this category though I suppose they must vary quite a bit internally regarding their complexity. The only reason people send them off to the manufacturer for repair is because of the warranty but quite often the repair required isn't that difficult to carry out for someone with the right knowledge.
Very sad to hear about Minelab Ireland being closed. I suspect that they will have to make alternative arrangements for warrenty claims and repairs because otherwise it may impact on their sales. When I thought that I had a problem with one of my CTX coils a few years ago Minelab already had places in England where it could be sent for repair.

More recently when I enquired about getting my CTX serviced I was told that there are no serviceable parts, apparently it either works or it doesn't. The CTX does appear somewhat more reliable than my Ex2s, which had to go back every couple of years for various minor repairs, usually including the jackplug. I was happy(ish) to pay this as, even including postage to Ireland, the costs weren't too bad, the work was done quickly and the detectors always worked better afterwards. ::g

Return to “Minelab Forum”