Xterra 705 or safari?

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
Abra1

Xterra 705 or safari?

Post by Abra1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 am

Hi all,
I'm looking at getting my first detector, I can afford a new xterra 705 or a 2nd hand safari for roughly the same price, I've been reading around the web & watching YouTube vids.
From what I can gather the xterra is pretty much switch on & go, I'm especially impressed with how easy it is to ground balance the xterra.
On the flip side I'm reading great things about the safari & am seriously considering it but am also concerned it may be confusing for a beginner & slightly more difficult to get to grips with?

I will be detecting grassy areas & (hopefully farmland) but would like to occasionally visit the beaches [:)
All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers & HH ::g

Blackadder43

Re: Xterra 705 or safari?

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 am

I dont have experience of either of those machines, but i would advise a few phone calls to the dealers and get their advice..
Crawfords who sponsor the forums will give good advice and also Regtons etc
These guys rely on their reputations and its in their interest to get you paired up with the correct machine
Good luck
Mention this forum if you go through Crawfords as you will get a better deal
https://www.crawfordsmd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

holloway

Post by holloway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:41 pm

My first machine was a second hand 705 and i think it was perfect to begin with ,after 8 months sold it for a profit and moved on to an etrac .You wont regret it if you get one. Incidently the etrac is a great machine but i am glad it wasnt the one i started with as there is a learning curve with it (for me anyway ) not sure if the Safari would be the same as have no experience of one.

MarkSussex

Post by MarkSussex » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I owned a 705 and my mate had a safari he found a lot more than I did and I eventually upgraded to an etrac, 705 is a great machine, but you will upgrade at some point, so I would get a safari.
Check out my youtube channel

XP Deus Detecting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zm ... Pow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abra1

Post by Abra1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks for the advice everybody, I've msgd the seller of the safari I'm just waiting for a response (fingers crossed)
If that falls through I've also seen a 2nd hand 705 about £200 cheaper than a new one, this would leave me with enough to get a Garrett carrot too.
My NCMD membership card arrived yesterday & a trowel & Garrett retriever which I got from eBay very cheap.
This weeks turning out to be quite exciting :D

Jollyboy

Post by Jollyboy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 pm

I was recently in your position and same dilemma ... I was looking at the 705, Garrett 400i and the safari as my first machine. I opted for the Safari pro mainly because a second hand one presented its self with a spare coil for £420... Still playing about with it at the moment and never used any other machine so don't know if I done right or not....One thing I will say is that I am well pleased I got a detector and took that first step................ SO FAR :)

Return to “Minelab Forum”