Display cabinet

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
thefiggis

Display cabinet

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm

What ho,

By gor, this weather's not very British is it, eh what? The weather gods need to get a grip if you ask me. Ground's as hard as a banker's heart and is quite beyond Great Aunt's ability to dig it and the gin has an alarming tendency to evaporate. It's simply not good enough and it's all Jenkins can do to keep up, poor chap. But I digress...

Such a period of detecting inactivity can be used as a time of productivity if one turns one's hand to it (or preferably someone else's hands) and after brushing up on me servant browbeating skills, checking on the gin cellar and having Jenks catalogue the finds, my thoughts turned to the long-put-off display cabinet project.

Found in one of the attics (hopefully not the one where mad cousin Pitchblighter rants and dribbles his time away) it was in a sorry state with peeling varnish over tasteless woodstain, scratched, broken perspex and a knackered, threadbare green baize base. Like Great Aunt, someone must have loved it once but it was now much in need of smartening up.

So, with a bit of sandpaper, batten for shelving, replacement perspex, new red felt and some spray glue, Jenks transformed it into this:

cab 1.jpg
Cab 2.jpg

This is the "after" pic - the confounded idiot neglected to take one "before". All the same, not a bad effort, that man. At last, the finds can come out of their drawers (as cousin Sophie is prone to do on a regrettably regular basis, so I'm told) and into the light where they can be appreciated. Dunno what to have him do next, mind. Learn and perform the Mohawk Rain Dance, maybe.

Pip pip ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Re: Display cabinet

Post by SuperRed » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Wow, that is EXCELLENT and just the type I'm after matey!! I have my coins and finds in Lindner stacking trays hidden away in a Welsh dresser, but I'd love something like that to put on the wall. Unfortunately, my skills lay in other areas and DIY is johnny foreigner language to me... guess I will have to get my own Jenkins ;)
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Very impressive! I also love the little chest on the floor - what was that used for originally?

p.s. Sophie never said she was your cousin...

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:16 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 pm
Wow, that is EXCELLENT and just the type I'm after matey!! I have my coins and finds in Lindner stacking trays hidden away in a Welsh dresser, but I'd love something like that to put on the wall. Unfortunately, my skills lay in other areas and DIY is johnny foreigner language to me... guess I will have to get my own Jenkins ;)
You should. Jenkinses are very useful things to have :D

Thanks, Super, I've been after one of these for ages but those available tend to be quite pricey. This one turned up out of nowhere, so a little patience can pay off and the right cabinet will turn up when you're least expecting it.
Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Very impressive! I also love the little chest on the floor - what was that used for originally?

p.s. Sophie never said she was your cousin...

Phil
=)) =))

Thanks, Phil. The chest is a 17thC coaching trunk. The original leather cover has all but gone though there are still scraps of it under the studs, most of which remain. It's virtually untouched and one of our fave bits.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm
Ground's as hard as a banker's heart
Believe me ... we have a heart, and bigger than than the Tin man's!!! .... thats credit to the overly generous bonuses we've received!!! Its happy days for us, each direction leads to the Munchkins ATM =)) =)) =)) =))
But hey ho ... a fantastic display, thank-you for showing us.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Wonderful job! You just need to fill it all now :D

Can’t you get your man out watering the field all night in preparation for the morning? He doesn’t need any sleep anyway.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 14 x;

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Cracking job there TF, very good indeed! ::g

You just need a few more finds to fill it up! :)) ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm
Can’t you get your man out watering the field all night in preparation for the morning? He doesn’t need any sleep anyway.
Thanks, OG. You're right, I don't pay the malingering swine to sleep but we tried nocturnal pre-watering once before. When the bowser emptied he carried on by using me gin! What the...? However, the upside was the time saved on the following harvest as the crop came up already half cut.

I'll get me coat...
Allectus wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm
Cracking job there TF, very good indeed! ::g

You just need a few more finds to fill it up! :)) ::g

A ;)
Cheers, A. That's the next job - to sort out the heaving finds box and select appropriate contenders for display. Mind you, that will involve her ladyship's input and is likely to turn ugly. As usual. I mean, feng shway. What's that all about?
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Very nice! As an antiques dealer I am always keeping an eye open for nice collectors' cabinets - this one is the most beautiful I have ever bought - yew wood and beautiful inlay on the top - each tray in perfect condition and a "back door" which you can use to fix the trays from being removed completely from the front... anyway it was for sale until I decided to start filling it - Its hard to sell the really good stuff!
Anyway if anyone is looking for a really good cabinet, I'd be happy to help!
All the Best
Alexander
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Top marks, that man! Blimey, Alexander, that's a serious bit of kit. You know, I once heard of a chap who failed the Institute of Carpenters practical exam as he'd created the asked-for examination piece (a hardwood clock case) out of yew - technically a softwood. However, he'd made it so beautifully that they passed him in the end. Not that this has anything to do with anything at all. Totally off-topic and I'll be having a stern word with myself later.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Very nice work indeed. I keep meaning to build something myself but something always manages to get in the way! I can’t quite decide on the design either so I’m still in the starting blocks.
It has inspired me to put some more thought into it though.
DD. ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 am

Now that's a proper restoration job and a superb finds display cabinet, one to be proud of.
As if that wasn't enough, I see you have an excellent eye for period antiques too.

I'm with Phil2401, I also love that little Coaching Trunk ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:02 am

Credit where credit is due to Jenkins for his exceptional display cabinet skills, a really nice job, maybe they will even rub off on you Figgis one day? I have been thinking of creating some sort of display case for some of my finds but undecided as to quite what. I think maybe just a slight modification of yours with different depth shelves would cater well and allow for future flexibility of finds. I think that personally just a single medium sized display case of about 18 x 12 x 2 inches to hold the better or more interesting finds would suffice. Stay tuned ... x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 am

I though a lot about shelf spacing, Easy, and given her ladyship's annoying propensity for shifting things around I opted for an even 100mm so that anything can be shifted anywhere at the Royal Whim. Just a thought though - if you have a door on your case then allow for its frame size when closed when positioning the top and bottom shelves. My first layout would have resulted in only the bottom half of the finds on the top shelf being visible when the door was closed rl;

Love to see what you eventually make ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am

thefiggis wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm
I mean, feng shway. What's that all about?
It's about complaining about the valuable historical artifacts that I apparently dump everywhere at the same time as she fills up the house with gaudy and environmentally toxic plastic waving cats! :D
Equinox 800 x2

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:11 am

fred wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am
thefiggis wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm
I mean, feng shway. What's that all about?
It's about complaining about the valuable historical artifacts that I apparently dump everywhere at the same time as she fills up the house with gaudy and environmentally toxic plastic waving cats! :D
Plastic waving cats? x; x; x; The mind positively boggles.

This gaff is thankfully cat-free and instead boasts the most impressive floordrobe known to man. But at least the discarded clobber is all arranged in order to get the best cosmic tranquility or whatever it is. Apparently.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am

Excellent scenes!

We are always having a war or words over piles of finds on furniture. We could definitely do with a Jenkins 'ere.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 am

Well, you're not having mine :x| Took the family ages to breed one that works properly.

Wonder what the French equivalent of a Jenkins is? Probably the same, but pronounced "Jon-can" I expect.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “Finds Storage and Display Forum”