Finds display for Landowner

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
kenleyboy

Finds display for Landowner

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 pm

I have been very impressed with some of the finds display cabinets etc that some forum members have posted which has in turn inspired me to do something similar . My initial intention had been to create something of my own property and include the various items that I had found in some sort of box display . With this in mind I thought that it would be a good idea to do something for the Landowner on my current permission .

Having studied at Art College for two years and then onto a five year apprenticeship in glass etching way back in those far off youthful days , I had been used to wielding a brush and pen so thought it would be a good idea to put those attributes to test . I have to admit that it has been quite a number of years since I have put pencil to paper but every now and again I get a little inspired and get back into it for a while .The idea for the Landowner was enough to get me going again and as we have both built up a rapport over the last detecting season , he is more than comfortable to allow me onto the land when nobody is around . In some sense I suppose it is a possible comfort knowing that someone is keeping an eye on the place and while he was away , so it was an ideal opportunity for me to nip down there a with sketch pad in hand and and get on with my "field sketch ".I used coloured pencil on Ivory board , a pleasant undisturbed afternoon in delightful surroundings .

There are a number of reasons for my thinking , one for sure is that it is always nice to "give" something back , a way of saying thank you and appreciating the freedom to roam across his fields and also putting a little trust into someone , a rare thing these days , I respect that .
It may also be another tool for use when seeking permissions , a folder with some accompanying photos to show the respective landowner that this could be part of the deal if permission was granted , it may just sway them the other way , wheels and deals , you dont know until you try , it may work or may not but its worth a go at least .
picture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Stillburning

Re: Finds display for Landowner

Post by Stillburning » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Thats a great idea, I'm sure the landowner will appreciate the effort that has gone into that, and the end result is very impressive (I wish I had your artistic skills!) ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

That is stunning and your landowner will no doubt appreciate the amount of effort that's gone into it.

Damned well played, sir ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Saki

Post by Saki » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Super impressed with this. That's just fantastic ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Thats such a lovely display. I’d be well chuffed with that l;.
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am

How did you mount the items?
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 56 Hammered

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 am

Superb. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 am

f8met wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
How did you mount the items?
I have used a very strong adhesive double sided tape , it is a product that is used in the sign trade for sticking metal signs upon walls etc . You only need to use a 1/4 inch square and the adhesion is instant . No room for mistakes as once it is stuck down there is no moving the item .
It is not a method I would recommend to use to adhere anything of historical importance , the coins in the display are mostly worn so I used the best side to face out and stuck the worn side down .
With the pipe stems , bottle and bottle top I used a glue which is Evo Stick multi purpose Impact adhesive , needs 24 hours drying time .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

Apologies especially for none fishing folk and for not being metal detecting finds but just another example of boxed display frames for finds which require a different approach for display due to their rarity .
For items that are of importance such as these late Georgian and Victorian hand made fishing floats then the method for securing this type of relic is far more involved and a glue or any other form of adhesion would not be recommended .
These are sown in by means of a very fine copper wire but you could use fishing line or similar as long as it is strong enough to hold items .
Relics would be laid out on tracing paper to see how you would wish then to be placed and then marked and traced to the back board , once complete a series of small holes are pierced through to allow you to poke through the wire and looped and tied off at the back of the board .
It is quite fiddly and time consuming but these floats are very fragile and needed to be behind a sealed display to save any further deterioration due to their age .
If anyone requires any tips if they want to make a display I am happy to help , you may even find a better method but this is how I would set up anything that was a bit special and needed to be covered .
float display.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:34 pm

That is a great skill you have.
The sketch of the building, with the associated finds has made it into a wonderful talking point about the property.
A unique piece of History in time to come, showing the History already gone.
Hope that stays hanging on the wall there, down the generations to come.
Great job ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Sirbleepsalot

Post by Sirbleepsalot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am

Most impressive, I love the idea of presenting this to the landowner. Also very nicely done.

In effect you have bookmarked the history of the site and hopefully the framed finds will be passed down for future generations.

I might try nailing some ring pulls, weights, bottle tops and tent pegs to a board and present it to my wife but I doubt it will be as welcome ;)
Cscope CS4PI

dep1699

Post by dep1699 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:08 am

Wow

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 am

Hello 'kenleyboy' Your ability is superbly portrayed in the above displays, both of which are an inspiration to all. I'm sure that this will move many other members to find or dust-off old skills and abilities with the intention of displaying their own finds as imaginatively. A stuffed cardboard box or the back of a dusty drawer will no longer be suitable or indeed an acceptable medium.

Such talents are often described as a 'gift' whereas it's more often, as in your case the result of many years of training and experience. Thank you for sharing it. My hat is doffed aloft! ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am

That is so impressive Paul. It’s odd, when you think about it, we merrily chat here to complete strangers, never giving or having a thought about who they are or what they do. You’re a bottle digger who likes detecting as well. That’s enough for a common interest. Now you show us another hidden talent and a window into who you realy are.
I too have ignored all my collected art materials for many years. Don’t know why I hang onto them. Increasing arthritis in hands dictates I’ll never do any more in that area. I used to paint miniature flowers. Did an ink sketch of a farm house I could see from my window years ago. The owner offered to buy it off me, I gave it to him to use as a ‘logo’ on his letter heads.

That’s such a lovely thought for your Farmer. Have you given it to him yet? I wondered what his reaction was.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Sirbleepsalot wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am
Most impressive, I love the idea of presenting this to the landowner. Also very nicely done.

In effect you have bookmarked the history of the site and hopefully the framed finds will be passed down for future generations.

I might try nailing some ring pulls, weights, bottle tops and tent pegs to a board and present it to my wife but I doubt it will be as welcome ;)
Believe it or not , my old Art Tutor on many occasions would say " A frame makes a Picture " , and proceeded to prove his notion . He had gathered up a pile of fag butts , ring pulls and other scraps of rubbish . Arranged them neatly and then placed a frame over the pile of rubbish .
Despite the subject matter being garbage , the frame gave it another dimension and did indeed give some sort of order to the subject . Wouldn't hang it on the wall myself , but he was proving a point , no matter what the subject matter is a frame gives a different perspective .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am
That is so impressive Paul. It’s odd, when you think about it, we merrily chat here to complete strangers, never giving or having a thought about who they are or what they do. You’re a bottle digger who likes detecting as well. That’s enough for a common interest. Now you show us another hidden talent and a window into who you realy are.
I too have ignored all my collected art materials for many years. Don’t know why I hang onto them. Increasing arthritis in hands dictates I’ll never do any more in that area. I used to paint miniature flowers. Did an ink sketch of a farm house I could see from my window years ago. The owner offered to buy it off me, I gave it to him to use as a ‘logo’ on his letter heads.

That’s such a lovely thought for your Farmer. Have you given it to him yet? I wondered what his reaction was.
Will be taking it to him the weekend .

lewscope79

Post by lewscope79 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Very nice job ::g

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 pm

That's very nice and the Gunters chain link is the same type as I found on one of my farms 1750-1800.some nice history and talking points. Here is a display put together by one of my land owners
last year.

all the best RR ::g
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 pm

A work of art - who wouldn't be pleased with that?!!

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

forest ferret

Post by forest ferret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 pm

The landowner will be chuffed, just as we are to see the effort you've put in, well done mate, you've inspired me to do something along the same lines, thank you :D ::g
Equinox 800
Stainless steel Black Ada Big foot
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Evolution Type R Pro
Deteknix Stainless Steel Diamond Digger

Kentish man detecting in the depths of rural France

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 pm

roamingrob wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 pm
That's very nice and the Gunters chain link is the same type as I found on one of my farms 1750-1800.some nice history and talking points. Here is a display put together by one of my land owners
last year.

all the best RR ::g
Nice display , I like that very much .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:40 pm

The finds display went down very well with the Farmer and I have to say that I know it meant a great deal to him . He was a bit choked especially with the personalised touch of the house drawing . He had lost his Father a few years previously and as he was born in the house , he has grown up on the farm as man and boy . The whole episode was very touching , I like this fella , he really is a down to earth straight forward person and I felt that this gift was well deserved , it was the very least that I could do .
I have enjoyed myself at this permission and appreciated the kindness shown , nothing appears to be too much of a bother it has always been a case of go where you want when you want , I wish all permissions could be like this !
It is not about taking but more of giving something back , a little bit of personalised history of the Farm with a timeline ranging from Roman right up to Victorian , so quite a vast expanse of History .
I also handed over the Hammered coins but all he wanted was one of the doubles Edward 1 identified by Allectus . This I didn't want to include in the display as it was a bit special .
I am looking forward to the last week of September when I can get back on there and concentrate my efforts on the lower field which I barely touched .

Return to “Finds Storage and Display Forum”