How to display buttons

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 176 times

How to display buttons

Post by Zyrbalax » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas / examples about how to display buttons? I've found a few nice ones and it seems a shame to have them stuck in a box.

I guess the obvious would be in a picture frame tied through or PVA'd to a backing card depending on condition of the loop. Anyone do anything different?

Thanks :)

Z


Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4520
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1085 times
Been thanked: 2358 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Easylife » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm

The usual way is sewn onto clothes. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Zyrbalax » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm

Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm
The usual way is sewn onto clothes. :D
Hmm, might end up looking like a Pearly King... :)

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

kenleyboy
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 695 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm
Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm
The usual way is sewn onto clothes. :D
Hmm, might end up looking like a Pearly King... :)

Z
I did pop a post up about a finds display frame I made up for the Farmer and also another display of Victorian fishing floats , not a metal detecting subject but purely as an example of how fragile and fiddly items can be sown into a back board and set in a boxed frame .The buttons would be just as fiddly as the floats I displayed , each one had to be hand sewn into the back board .
I too have some nice buttons which I will eventually frame up and display when I am in the mood to test my patience .
I do have some very thick double sided adhesive tape , about 3 mm thick . You could cut a small square and stick that down on the back board and then push the buttons onto the opposing sticky side . Save all that sewing and swearing ! It is super sticky , it is used for hanging metal signs on walls so has some serious adhesion qualities .I would certainly not recommend it for anything of historical value or importance .
You can buy boxed frames quite reasonably from some of the big stores and some of them are really quite nice . If I were going to display buttons I would lay them out on a card in whatever order you like and once you are happy with the layout I would take a photo for reference and also mark on the card where they were laid out etc .
If the loops are protruding you can build up the tape to a height to suit . Just cut a small square same size as the one you stuck down and stick this square on top so you build up some height to compensate the back loop .
I would recommend using picture framers mount card for the tape , all sorts of colours are available but cream , ivory white and a very light grey work well for a backdrop .
If you want a strip of the tape I am happy to send you a piece .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Zyrbalax » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:34 pm
Zyrbalax wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm
Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm
The usual way is sewn onto clothes. :D
Hmm, might end up looking like a Pearly King... :)

Z
I did pop a post up about a finds display frame I made up for the Farmer and also another display of Victorian fishing floats , not a metal detecting subject but purely as an example of how fragile and fiddly items can be sown into a back board and set in a boxed frame .The buttons would be just as fiddly as the floats I displayed , each one had to be hand sewn into the back board .
I too have some nice buttons which I will eventually frame up and display when I am in the mood to test my patience .
I do have some very thick double sided adhesive tape , about 3 mm thick . You could cut a small square and stick that down on the back board and then push the buttons onto the opposing sticky side . Save all that sewing and swearing ! It is super sticky , it is used for hanging metal signs on walls so has some serious adhesion qualities .I would certainly not recommend it for anything of historical value or importance .
You can buy boxed frames quite reasonably from some of the big stores and some of them are really quite nice . If I were going to display buttons I would lay them out on a card in whatever order you like and once you are happy with the layout I would take a photo for reference and also mark on the card where they were laid out etc .
If the loops are protruding you can build up the tape to a height to suit . Just cut a small square same size as the one you stuck down and stick this square on top so you build up some height to compensate the back loop .
I would recommend using picture framers mount card for the tape , all sorts of colours are available but cream , ivory white and a very light grey work well for a backdrop .
If you want a strip of the tape I am happy to send you a piece .
Thanks very much Kenleyboy, that's certainly giving me some great hints :)

No need to send me some of the tape, but if you have a brand name that will help me find it online?

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4520
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1085 times
Been thanked: 2358 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Easylife » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm
Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm
The usual way is sewn onto clothes. :D
Hmm, might end up looking like a Pearly King... :)
Would be seen by many, and remembered. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

kenleyboy
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 695 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks very much Kenleyboy, that's certainly giving me some great hints :)

No need to send me some of the tape, but if you have a brand name that will help me find it online?

I have had this tape for quite a number of years now and for the life of me I cannot think of the name of it .However it was used extensively in the sign trade so probably best thing is to google adhesive double sided tape for sticking signs to walls . It may still be available or something similar .It needs to be quite thick 2- 3 mm , the thicker the better .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

User avatar
stanslad
Posts: 1804
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:45 pm
Location: North Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by stanslad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Here's a small Ikea box frame, with some hobby shop 5mm foam mounting card behind, if buttons still got loop on, cut hole in card for loop, livery buttons fixed with hobby non marking glue that will just pull of without damage to buttons.
Clint ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 704 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by f8met » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 pm

It is amazing what you can find framewise from charity shops and they are usually only a pound or 2. You could use carpet tape which is double sided.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 3615 times
Been thanked: 3847 times

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:38 pm

stanslad wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm
Here's a small Ikea box frame, with some hobby shop 5mm foam mounting card behind, if buttons still got loop on, cut hole in card for loop, livery buttons fixed with hobby non marking glue that will just pull of without damage to buttons.
Clint ::g
That is brilliant ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 11 :D

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 5360
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 5907 times
Been thanked: 2895 times
Contact:

Re: How to display buttons

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am

stanslad wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm
Here's a small Ikea box frame, with some hobby shop 5mm foam mounting card behind, if buttons still got loop on, cut hole in card for loop, livery buttons fixed with hobby non marking glue that will just pull of without damage to buttons.
Clint ::g
Some beautiful buttons and they look excellent ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Post Reply

Return to “Finds Storage and Display Forum”