Coin Display Frame

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
Si Richards

Coin Display Frame

Post by Si Richards » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Hope this isn't too dull a post but I thought I would share this afternoons project.

I've had a little flurry of nice coins recently and rather than put them away in my usual coin storage box I decided to get my Blue Peter craft head on and make myself a little coin frame. I popped into town and bought the frame from "Wilko" and then went to "Hobbycraft" for the rest of the bits. I felt a little out of place in Hobbycraft and it clearly showed as a nice sales assistant came over and helped point me in the right direction of the self adhesive foam and the felt that I had been searching the store for for about 20 minutes rl; rl; rl; rl;

The foam and felt needed trimming to fit the frame which I did first. Then it was time to mark out the positions of the coins. The self adhesive foam has a white backing so I marked it up with how I wanted the coins to be displayed and then carefully drew around the coins with a pencil, I then cut the coin holes out with a craft knife and did a mock up with the coins in the frame, all good ::g
Next step was to peel off the backing and then lay the felt onto the sticky side carefully so there weren't any wrinkles. I was originally going to cut the felt and pull it back through the hole and use impact adhesive to hold it in place but on test fitting a coin I found that they sat really nice and securely so no cutting required. I positioned the coins and then rebuilt the frame and hey presto about an hours work and the grand sum of £6.05 for the frame and other bits and I've got a lovely display of my best coin finds to date.

Hopefully by the end of the year my walls will be full of them.

Happy hunting
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

allmetal

Re: Coin Display Frame

Post by allmetal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Very good Simon that looks the biz are the coins sitting in a slight recessed out area so they don't slide down when you hang the frame up.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Great post, nice result! <:-P
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Si Richards

Post by Si Richards » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks and yes the foam behind the felt is cut to the size of the coin so it basically is held in that recess.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:44 am

Far from dull Simon, a great post and a great looking display ::g
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 am

Nice job, well done. I am trying to encourage our club members to make up a nice finds tray for our monthly meetings. At present we have excellent finds being laid on bits of cardboard, biscuit tin lids, paper and so on.
Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:36 pm

NICE ! I also am working on a bunch of frames for display still got some spaces on my wall, got a really great brother-in-law complete with wood working shop......HH.....Johnnn

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes that does it for me, well presented and you can see the fruits of your labor instantly very nice exactly what Ive done to some of my stuff........HH.....Johnnn

smudge.g

Post by smudge.g » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 am

That's a great frame and some very nice finds. I have just finished similar for some local military finds but for coins, i really like these Nimbus frames, which allow you to see both sides of the coins held between silicon sheets and are quite reasonably priced from various sources.
41vemLMcAjL.jpg
HH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As the Germans 'might' say:-

"SchvinginbleepindigginundFindenstuff!!!"

new XP Deus/11in coil: 1 silver sixpence 1 foot down!! most impressive.

Nickinstick

Post by Nickinstick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am

A great post, I've been thinking along the same lines for a while now and done sweet FA about it. Thanks for sharing.

Rgds Nick
CTX 3030 17"coil

Return to “Finds Storage and Display”