LIDL coin case

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
stubble hunter

LIDL coin case

Post by stubble hunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Its been a few years since I purchased a coin case for the princely sum of £12.95 from LIDL. What a bargain. Now I am on the hunt for a second one. Should anyone see these for sale can you update here. I live in Gloucester and rate these display cases so highly I would travel to get one ! :)
Cheers !
John
p.s. If I remember I purchased mine at Xmas time so perhaps that's when they come back in ?

XP DEUS - V4.1 (9" coil).
Settings: GMP, manual, 18khz

[member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club - http://www.glevumdetecting.co.uk

f8met

Re: LIDL coin case

Post by f8met » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Usually come up for sale beginning of December. I have one, I found I had to pad it out to stop the coins falling out if lifted by the handle. Just put a few layers of cardboard in the bottom.

To be fair I use the Lidner type draws now but still keep the case for some of the other coins I have.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 47 Hammered

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

I am almost positive i have one upstairs that i never found enough to fill up, so its still boxed...
I will look tomorrow and let you know, I expect we can come to an accord
I live in somerset so not far. but imagine that posting by hermes courier will be cheaper than your gallon of fuel
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm
I am almost positive i have one upstairs that i never found enough to fill up, so its still boxed...
I will look tomorrow and let you know, I expect we can come to an accord
I live in somerset so not far. but imagine that posting by hermes courier will be cheaper than your gallon of fuel
Thanks Blackadder,
To be honest its the actual trays I am after. The ones that hold 40 coins. (I have room in existing case for 2 more trays the same size) I put my coins in 27mm lighthouse capsules and these fit snuggly in the pockets. So snuggly that if I wanted to display a tray on the wall they still would not fall out. The good thing about this size capsule is that they are still spacious enough to hold a lizzie 6p for example. I would still be interested if you wanted to part with the trays though.
Last edited by stubble hunter on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm

The trays are available for the capsules on a well known auction site for about £5 for a 35 coin holder
Dave
2018 47 Hammered

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 pm

f8met wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm
The trays are available for the capsules on a well known auction site for about £5 for a 35 coin holder
Thanks f8met but I am really looking for the same size/colour trays ( 8 across and 5 down) that came with the LIDL case - for appearance more than anything as they will then match. I don't recall ever seeing this exact case for sale elsewhere.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 pm

haha, well if i sold it to you it would be the whole shooting match, otherwise i end up with a useless case that hasnt made a space in my overcrowded house (99% of our hoard is not mine but sues.....but thats another story).....

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

You never really know what's gonna be in the middle at Lidl :))
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 pm

I assume we're talking about the Ordex case, for 205 coins?

.Edited.
Last edited by Fusion on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
:(

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm

There are blue ones available too on the auction site. just search coin trays.
Dave
2018 47 Hammered

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

awww come on guys, i'm trying to clear a space in my house and you are giving the man options....
Gonna have to lock this thread if this behaviour continues =))

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 am

lol... I've created an entertaining thread if nothing else ! :D
Cheers guys !
John
p.s. And now I know its an Ordex case I can do a bit of hunting around. Thanks for all offers guys but paying for postage on top would not make it a viable purchase and I am sure Lidl will have them in soon

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 am

Blackadder43 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am
=)) =)) =))
John

fred

Post by fred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

stubble hunter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 am
Cheers guys !
John
p.s. And now I know its an Ordex case I can do a bit of hunting around. Thanks for all offers guys but paying for postage on top would not make it a viable purchase and I am sure Lidl will have them in soon
Are we talking about the blue inserts that came with an aluminium carry case? ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm sure If you look on a well known auction site , you might ;) find what your after , it may be on the first page, after typing in the case that your looking for ( although I can't be sure , but Im certain I am :D )
There good cases and you've done well to fill the trays and are in need of more ::g

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm
stubble hunter wrote:
Cheers guys !
John
Are we talking about the blue inserts that came with an aluminium carry case? ::g
Thats correct Fred. And two of the inserts allow for 40 coins (8 x 5) which are perfect for my needs.
Cheers !
John

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

alfaowner wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm
I'm sure If you look on a well known auction site , you might ;) find what your after , it may be on the first page, after typing in the case that your looking for ( although I can't be sure , but Im certain I am :D )
There good cases and you've done well to fill the trays and are in need of more ::g
Thanks, but the ones I have looked at are much more pricey than one would pay at Lidl but I am still browsing the well known auction site :D
Cheers !
John

fred

Post by fred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 pm

stubble hunter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm
fred wrote:
stubble hunter wrote:
Cheers guys !
John
Thats correct Fred. And two of the inserts allow for 40 coins (8 x 5) which are perfect for my needs.
Cheers !
John
You may be in luck. I have several trays sitting at home but I don't know what size the compartments are. I am currently in Germany but pm me next week and I'll have a shufti. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 am

fred wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 pm
stubble hunter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm
fred wrote:

Cheers !
John
You may be in luck. I have several trays sitting at home but I don't know what size the compartments are. I am currently in Germany but pm me next week and I'll have a shufti. ::g
Will do Fred and thanks ::g
John

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Well ... I'm still hopeful that Lidl will stock their coin cases but with just under 2 weeks to the big day they have not come into my local stores.

UPDATE: They come in tomorrow 14th Dec !!!! -=+:-P

Meantime.... I thought I would share how I went about displaying my collection.

I have been detecting for some 10 years now and been a member of a local detecting club for about the same period.
Thanks to the club I have learnt not just how to be a better detectorist but to respect more the land we detect on and also how to give back to the hobby. Giving some finds back to farmers, free ring finding service, producing portfolios of finds for them and every xmas a trip out to see them and present them with a box of chocs and a bottle of holy water (as the Irish often refer to it as :))

We are spoilt for land to detect on so I have been fortunate to have built up a large coin and artefact collection.

Up until a couple of years ago my artifacts would be stored in self seal bags and the coins were spread about on various trays in a haphazard fashion.

It was the coins I really wanted to display in the best possible way.

Firstly, there are lots of ways of displaying any collection. Particularly when it comes to coins. However, what is one person’s way of doing this is not necessarily the same for another. This is all about my own method o.k.
So, several peeps have asked about my own display case, where I got it from and the reasoning behind how I put it together. Costs etc. And others have asked what is UKDFD and PAS so I thought I would cover this too.

Firstly I looked around for a display case that looks worth more than it actually is. ;)

And so I purchased two from Lidl for the pricely sum of £12.99 each. ! :))

I wanted one for displaying hammered coinage and one for all others.
This was a couple of years ago
I came across this youtube clip which gives a bit of info on the case

So all hammered coinage is, with the exception of one coin, in chronological order (ruler/date).

* Note that for several years I have been recording all my finds on UKDFD database and that has been great preparation for now recording on the PAS database.

Now, rather than having the coins loose in the trays I thought it would be an idea to get plastic cases/capsules which would fit nice and snug in the tray slots. So when carrying the case the capsules would not fall out. It also meant that I would not have to touch the coin but only the capsule if I had to do any shuffling about. And because of the way the data is put on the card behind the capsule it is still possible to view what the coin is and the ruler without removing the capsule fully.

* There is also the option to remove one or more trays and display them in a wall mounted glass frame rather than have them hiding in the case. As you can see none of the capsules are falling out

* Its not the best of pics but I am holding the tray level with the wall

You will just have to imagine this in a frame for now.
Note that I left 4 empty capsules for further additions down the line.

As we all know, all coins come in different sizes not least hammereds so I wanted a capsule case that would accommodate the majority.
I plumped for a 27mm circular one.
• in each Lidl case only two of the five trays take this size capsule . With each tray taking up 40 coins I also ‘borrowed’ from the other case another two. Which meant I had provision for 160 coins. More than enough for my own collection.
• As well as the smaller long and short crosses etc this size will take Lizzie and James I sixpences, Henry VIII groats and William and Anne shillings (I've allowed for milled too). The following will not fit into this sized capsule but will still fit the slot ok… Elizabeth shilling (prob just a bit too loose really) and a Charles I half crown which is really tight in its slot.
Update: I now have 6 same sized trays in the case and they fit fine. Even though the case came with only 5 trays. Actually putting a 6th tray in means that nothing is loose in the top tray as this is snug to the inside of the case. Though the tight fitting capsules should not allow any spillage when carrying anyway.
* I would like to thank Fred for sending me two extra trays ! Though the inserts were very very slightly larger than my lidl ones they are still ok to us as lower trays but cannot be put in a wall frame as capsules would fall out. Hence why I am still looking for another LIDL case (if only to pilfer two more trays from it !)

I ordered the capsules from a company called predecimal.com and here is a link to the specific coin capsules

http://www.predecimal.com/coin-capsules ... 18151.html

Ordering a 100 at £21 is a cheaper option than ordering 10 at £2.30 ok
Note the company operates out of Germany and delivery is usually a week to 10 days.
(not sure what there prices are now ok so hunt around fleabay etc)
* UPDATE.. predecimal.com don't appear to be selling the capsules so yes... hunt around

So I had the coin cases compliments of Lidl and now I had the capsules.
What next ?
Well I decided to insert a card into each slot so that when the capsule was removed the information on that particular coin was there to clearly see. (I used a thick card that just about fed through the printer but its rigidity was ideal for staying snug in the slot)
But what detail to record on the card and what font as it has to be readable…
I decided to record the following

The type of coin (e.g. groat, penny, farthing etc)
The ruler (e.g. Henry II, Elizabeth 1 etc)
The coin date (e.g. 1210 AD – 1250)
Spink number or other ref.
Date it was found on
Where it was found (e.g. ABC Farm, ABC place)
UKDFD record no (e.g. UKDFD:12345
PAS record no (e.g. PAS:PUBLIC-A1B2C3)

* On the back of the card I have added a grid ref, mint or mint marks and moneyer where known and any other useful info.

I used Arial font size 8 o.k.

Here are a few pics of the display card (with dummy address location naturally) and picture of the filled top tray.

The following is probably more of use to newer members ok…

So what is UKDFD and why have I used it ?

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/

As it states on its home page… “The UKDFD is an initiative by members of the metal-detecting community to promote good practice within the hobby. It is an easy-to-use, friendly and supportive online facility for detectorists to record their finds and ensure that the information is preserved for future generations.”

Basically, with ukdfd you can submit your finds and, providing they meet certain criteria, they will be put onto the database.
You therefore have a permanent record of all your finds
And for the last few years I have recorded all my finds on UKDFD.
* Note that UKDFD database has been undergoing a large upgrade and it is not possible to upload finds to the database until this upgrade is complete.

And what about PAS. ?

http://finds.org.uk/

So PAS is the ‘Portable Antiquities Scheme” . (set up by the British Museum)
“The Portable Antiquities Scheme is a DCMS ( Department for Culture, Media & Sport) funded project to encourage the voluntary recording of archaeological objects found by members of the public in England and Wales)

In a way PAS is not too dissimilar to UKDFD but PAS excels by requesting considerably more information on each submitted find. For example there is a lot more archaeological information requested which is understandable.

The PAS database looks a minefield to the uninitiated ! Requesting such information as ‘die access measurement’, ‘Operation Depth’, ‘Spatial Data’ and much more (confused ? I was).

However my FLO for Gloucestershire Kurt Adams assisted in training me up and now I self record my own finds. So if anyone is keen on knowing how to record their finds as well as learning how to ID them, and generally learn more about their history then contact your FLO.

This is a great read for those interested in being a self recorder/PASt volunteer

https://finds.org.uk/documents/voluntee ... uction.pdf

Obviously the majority of us do not have the knowledge to fully ID a hammered coin. Which is a convenient time to acknowledge Allectus ! Many thanks young sir ! And many others have helped on this forum in identification. Thanks to you all !

Last year Kurt Adams recorded well over 1000 coins and artefacts onto PAS from our area alone. Some of these were our most notable finds particularly hoard/treasure items. Qualification for submission is usually reserved for items over 300 years of age but exceptions are made.

Here are both the UKDFD record and PAS record for one of my finds just to show the differences in information required for each database

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/656035

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showre ... ter&cat=54

So why am I doing all this ?
Well apart from the importance of the ‘historical record’ there will come a time when I may want to dispose of my collection or pass it onto a family member. There are also some artefacts I would like to see in a local museum. But whatever does transpire… each coin or artifact will have been accurately identified in advance and so will have its own UKDFD or PAS (or both) identifying Record/Reference No.

I haven’t really thought about how to address ‘displaying’ artefacts. I mean how do you display a crotal bell ? I’ll cross that bridge later !

So there you go that’s the way I’m doing it, perhaps too methodical for some but hey I’m pretty er.. methodical !
Cheers !
John
p.s. Update 14th Dec 2017. Having just purchased the new coin case I can confirm the inserts are very slightly oversized compared to the ones I purchased a couple of years ago. Indeed this slight change in size may have occured with last years stock too. This means that if you are getting coin capsules then the 27mm ones do not fit tightly now ! (in the two 8 x 5 trays which take this size) Which is a bit annyoying really. Fred, I suspect the 2 trays you kindly sent me were indeed Lidl ones but the trays are a newer type, indeed the colour of them is a slightly darker blue. I will now have to see if a 28mm capsule will now fit but this may be too tight. Will let you know
Last edited by stubble hunter on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 pm

stubble hunter wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm
Well ... I'm still hopeful that Lidl will stock their coin cases but with just under 2 weeks to the big day they have not come into my local stores.

<massive cut>
Stubble hunter, there is another thread running about these coin cases
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=96791

Lidl are stocking them as a "special offer" starting from Thursday 14th ....
so give it another 2 hours :D

Another special are blue tooth headphones which might interest some.

Evan

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 pm

I read that top to bottom.
Respect to you...
Very impressed
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Theres a big stack of them at Haverhill Lidl ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Had a reply to my video today on this case that stated you can add an additional level within the case that takes up the slack! apparently an additional lever fits perfectly ::g

The downside if you cannot purchase the exact layers individually is that you will need to buy another case.
mrix

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Just purchased 2 of these, and they do look the business.

Lady on the till said "Thats coincidence, I have just been talking to somebody else about these" and went on to say how popular they were.

So they do appear to be selling fast and although my local store had a fair number in they are a "While stocks last" item so if you are thinking of getting one it might pay not to leave it too long.

In fact I went a bit mad and also bought the telescope that I mentioned in the other thread about this coin case viewtopic.php?f=74&t=96791 I said about what good value these were and while trying to decide if I really needed another telescope another gentleman said about how good they were so there is a further recommendation. For good measure I also bought the spotting telescope (which is something I had wanted for watching wildlife and been waiting to come on special offer unlike the telescope wich I am still not sure was needed).

Honestly not doing a plug for them here, in fact I very rarely use them, but I did notice among the other specials they had a large display cabinet that some might like for larger finds, and as I said yesterday they also have blue toothe headpones. Finally so that you can get out to detect snowchains only £9.99 (half price).

Evan

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm

mrix wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:35 pm
Had a reply to my video today on this case that stated you can add an additional level within the case that takes up the slack! apparently an additional lever fits perfectly ::g

The downside if you cannot purchase the exact layers individually is that you will need to buy another case.
mrix
No need to buy another case as the trays can be purchased separately from well know auction sites o.k. ::g But... you will need to hunt around if trying to get exact sizes. eg 8 x 5 trays to accommodate 27mm (now 28mm) capsules - if going down that route that is..
Cheers !
John
p.s. Yep.. that was my reply on the vid. Excellent vid too ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 pm

I have just bought one of these today and found that coins do fall out of their compartments when the case is upright. It could have really done with having one more tray to take up the spare space. An alternative is to pack below the lower tray with a layer of bubble wrap or suchlike for snugness. Alternately you could buy some capsules of course. A good case and great for organizing your coins. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:28 am

Further to earlier posts.
On discovering the tray inserts for the capsules were slightly larger than before then (27mm capsules were now loose in the inserts !) I looked at other sizes.
I ordered some 28mm and 29mm and received them today.
The 28mm capsules fit perfect and don't need to be prised in or out of the inserts so I will now make a larger order for these.
You could use the 29mm capsules but they are very tight and once forced in will not come out without prising them out with something. Using these does ensure that there is absolutely no chance of them falling out when carrying the case. But I would still advise using the 28mm ones ok as no force required to put them in or out.
This site seemed the cheapest https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151368286423 but always best to hunt around o.k.
Cheers !
John

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Couple of magazines in the bottom of the box works well to pad it out ::g

Return to “Finds Storage and Display”