Nexus MP - Upgraded model 1st September 2016

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Filternozzle

Re: Nexus Standard MP

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 pm

sanjuro wrote:Georgi says its getting posted tomorrow and should be here by next week.
Good, it will probably arrive on the Thursday in plenty time for the weekend.

Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm

I was out yesterday on a Dig in the Kinross area. Found 6 copper coins of varying sizes all pretty much done, 2 silver plated teaspoons, couple of small pewter buttons, 11 musket balls and a load of lead. Still looking for my first hammered of the year!

The reason for this post is to give more information on the MP relating to the mineral controls. When I started detecting the Nexus MP was picking up certain stones with a good positive signal. As a result I placed one such stone on the surface and bobbed the coil slowly up and down whilst rotating the Course Mineral Control. At 10 the rock was balanced out. The next step was to re Ground Balance. From this point on the MP never sounded off on a stone.

It is hard to explain but this really impressed me. Let me explain as best I can. I was aware that bringing the Mineral controls into play reduces in air sensitivity. This is easily seen when bringing the coil across to the spade. However, I was amazed to see that once re Ground Balancing took place, sensitivity was virtually restored with a beautiful steady threshold.

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:57 am

Many thanks for taking the time to report how your getting on with the MP i had wondered about using the mineral control (my MP has not yet arrived) what were the stones ? ironstone? and can you take out coke with the mineral control and still get hammereds ? that would be the icing on the cake if you can =P~

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:50 pm

sanjuro wrote:Many thanks for taking the time to report how your getting on with the MP i had wondered about using the mineral control (my MP has not yet arrived) what were the stones ? ironstone? and can you take out coke with the mineral control and still get hammereds ? that would be the icing on the cake if you can =P~
Here is a photo of a rock, its magnetic, that's my magnet stuck to it. I am sure coke could be tuned out in the same way but I will have to check that hammered pennies are still picked up. Generally coke is quite easily identified in most cases because it gives a loud audio and a positive led when swept one way and a negative on the return.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Although I have posted how the MP can tune out mineralised stones/rocks, I will not tune them out myself because for me every mm counts and unless the stones are causing a real problem I will not want to trade off any depth no matter how small.

If a good target was underneath a mineralised stone I will find it with or without the mineral controls being used. If they are not used, the stone will be dug up and the item would be found when going back over the hole. If the mineral controls are in use, the stone will not sound off but the good target will.

For me I always want maximum depth with accurate discrimination so I will only use the mineral controls if the stones are causing me a real problem or maybe if I have a headache!

The main point is I do have a choice with the MP, to play it any way I wish.

Filternozzle

Re: Nexus Standard MP - Weekend finds

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am

Plenty of sunshine, my finds don't amount to much but I did manage to get a silver, still waiting for my first hammered of the year to pop up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

Plenty of finds there it was very quiet for finds on Sunday for us walking side by side with my m8s one with a Nexus Standard MK11 and the other with a Blisstool V3 we dug about 30 things between us we spent most of the time comparing signals and talking but at least the weather was glorious.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Out yesterday on a dig in Scotland, plenty of finds but no hammered for me yet this year. The MP worked really well in ground that varied from clean to heavy iron contamination. Six silvers which included three silver 3d so I shouldn't grumble.

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:10 pm

That's a good haul Richard, six silvers in one day is impressive!

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Very nice Richard i didnt take my MP out this Sunday due to heavy rain but i will be taking it out on Sundays dig

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:19 pm

sanjuro wrote:Very nice Richard i didnt take my MP out this Sunday due to heavy rain but i will be taking it out on Sundays dig
Good move Mark, the Nexus does not like the rain, both the battery box and control box have to be covered. Unfortunately, I have to make do with sandwich bag over the control box and a Trek Mates dry lite liner over the arm rest/battery box. It's a shame proper covers are not made for the Nexus range.

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 pm

There is a guy on Garys that makes covers for any detector he just needs the measurements he made some for my m8s Golden Mask 1 they were spot on very heavy duty cordura it was £34 for battery box and control box.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 pm

sanjuro wrote:There is a guy on Garys that makes covers for any detector he just needs the measurements he made some for my m8s Golden Mask 1 they were spot on very heavy duty cordura it was £34 for battery box and control box.
Many thanks for that information Mark, I'll follow it up.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:18 pm

I was out on a dig in Scotland for a few hours yesterday. Had to keep it short because of outstanding work to be completed in the garden (including building a new shed).

I met a friend who had just got his GPX-5000 back from repair. He had been using his CTX-3030 in one of the available fields but because of extreme mineralisation depth was drastically reduced; he decided to switch to the GPX-5000 which excels in such conditions. I was using the Nexus Stand MP and accompanied him into the field, After setting up the GPX he started detecting and I was going over each target he thought was a good or iffy target. He came across one target and asked me if it was a digger, I said yes, it turned out to be a musket ball at approx. 10"! A little while later due to the fact very few non-ferrous targets were turning up, he decided to test the GPX on a buried hammered penny. Initially he dug a thick turf out leaving a hole about 6" deep, dropped in the coin and put the turf back, went over it with the GPX which sound off loud and clear, I tried the MP over it and again a nice positive signal. Next, he lifted the turf took out the coin and dug the hole to a depth of approx. 10". At this point I muttered I didn't think the MP would get it. The hole was filled in and the GPX went over it and gave a signal that one would dig. I detected up to the hole and over the target and am pleased to report the MP gave a signal that couldn't be missed, although I did on this occasion have first the red and then the blue LED lighting up. I was delighted considering the degree of mineralisation in the ground. The audio was clear but you could tell it was something deep. I have found with deeper targets, sometimes I get the red with one sweep and blue with the next, when taking into account the audio message of small and deep, any red light means its a digger for me. I didn't feel the need to bring into play the mineralisation controls, Although I did have to keep the ground balance right.

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Seriously thinking about getting the MP while this May offer is running. My permissions are mostly pasture with low mineralisation, I need the extra depth this could potentially give me as most of the good finds are right on the edge of what my Deus can reach, even with it in all metal and with no discrim and the 11 inch coil. My permissions rarely get ploughed but on the rare time that they do they normally give up a lot of artifacts and hammered coins so the stuff is there to find, I just cant reach it!. I was toying with the idea of a Blisstool but it doesnt seem as stable as the Nexus.

Any advice or assurance anyone can give that the MP is potentially a good option for me to look at appreciated.

Thanks

hotmill
XP Deus user

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:54 pm

hotmill wrote:Seriously thinking about getting the MP while this May offer is running. My permissions are mostly pasture with low mineralisation, I need the extra depth this could potentially give me as most of the good finds are right on the edge of what my Deus can reach, even with it in all metal and with no discrim and the 11 inch coil. My permissions rarely get ploughed but on the rare time that they do they normally give up a lot of artifacts and hammered coins so the stuff is there to find, I just cant reach it!. I was toying with the idea of a Blisstool but it doesnt seem as stable as the Nexus.
Any advice or assurance anyone can give that the MP is potentially a good option for me to look at appreciated.
Thanks
hotmill
Hi Hotmill, I believe it to be a very good option! It is easy for me to say because I have one, I know it is difficult for you to assess but if you were my brother looking for a good deep discriminating machine, I would point you to the Nexus MP or the SE Standard Mk II. The current discounted price for the MP makes it very attractive.

Hope this helps.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:54 pm

JamieSov wrote:Have read all your posts regarding the MP, Filternozzle and they have been of great help, so thanks.
I too am sorely tempted by the MP as it ticks all the right boxes for me, I think. I like dials and switches. I like working with tones (although I do like the ferrous/non-ferrous light indicator) and I'm not at all bothered about numbers.
I am currently using a Sovereign GT and have been for eight years. I like it very much, but its terribly slow recovery speed gets really frustrating and especially so in one particularly contaminated site that I have, where I can swing the coil for yards at a time with the GT constantly nulled.
Would this be a good upgrade do you think? I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too steep given my experience with the GT. Lastly, recovery, I notice that the MP is listed as having medium recovery speed. I trust that is still significantly faster than the GT??????
The MP is also lighter which is no bad thing!
Thank you.
Hi JamieSov,
The Sovereign GT is a real good detector. On recovery speed however, as you already know, it is one of the slowest out there. And yes, the MP is much, much quicker.
Only you can decide if the MP is the right machine to upgrade to. But from what you have said about dials and switches etc., and the fact you stick with your detectors (been using the Sovereign for eight years), makes me think it could be a positive choice for you.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 am

JamieSov wrote:
Filternozzle wrote:
JamieSov wrote: Hi JamieSov,
The Sovereign GT is a real good detector. On recovery speed however, as you already know, it is one of the slowest out there. And yes, the MP is much, much quicker.
Only you can decide if the MP is the right machine to upgrade to. But from what you have said about dials and switches etc., and the fact you stick with your detectors (been using the Sovereign for eight years), makes me think it could be a positive choice for you.
Thanks, Filternozzle. Having used it though, in your opinion, it is a significant upgrade, right???
I had got used to multi-frequency detectors and was going to go the same route, but never having really got a straight answer as to whether the frequencies were simultaneous or sequential (if sequential how many hammereds have I gone over at the 'wrong' frequency?) and given that my hammy count has always been on the low side, this too was swaying me towards a single frequency machine.
Finally, at the May price, it seems too good to pass up!
Hi JamieSov,
I have never owned a Sovereign GT but have friends that have. Nearest I have owned to it would be the CTX3030.

The MP and Sovereign are two totally different detectors. It would be fair to say there will be a learning curve for you but that is the same for any new machine.

What I can say is the MP is deep (the deepest VLF I have ever used irrespective of mineralisation) with good discrimination and works exceptionally well not only on pasture but also ploughed. I can also say the MP will work better on ploughed than any other Nexus model due to its different electronic make up, as you know a lot of VLF detectors don't do so well.

I totally agree with you on the 'May price'!

Hope this helps.

Stuart900

Post by Stuart900 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 am

Hi All,

I've taken the plunge and place an order for a new MP on the UK site. Hopefully it will be with me before the end of the month. I'm expecting a VERY steep learning curve as I currently have a CTX3030 and before that an ETRAC, but have been impressed with what I have read and of course the special offer helped :). I hope you will all continue to share your experiences and learning for the benefit of newbies like myself.

It would be good to have a meet-up sometime later in the year. Perhaps at one of Toddy's digs? I hope to be at his rally at the end of September..

Cheers

Stuart

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Stuart900 wrote:Hi All,

I've taken the plunge and place an order for a new MP on the UK site. Hopefully it will be with me before the end of the month. I'm expecting a VERY steep learning curve as I currently have a CTX3030 and before that an ETRAC, but have been impressed with what I have read and of course the special offer helped :). I hope you will all continue to share your experiences and learning for the benefit of newbies like myself.

It would be good to have a meet-up sometime later in the year. Perhaps at one of Toddy's digs? I hope to be at his rally at the end of September..

Cheers

Stuart
PM sent

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm

JamieSov wrote:Filternozzle, another question if I may. I understand that the coil construction is different, but is it, do you think, suitably durable given the lack of cover? After all the coils aren't cheap!

Do you generally use the MP in all metal? With to without dual tones?

Thank you.
Just sneaking in a reply before Filternozzle does the coils are very robust and the resin they are made of is very durable also Nexus coils are not supposed to be scraped on the ground like say you would with an Etrac i usually detect about 1 1/2 inches off the ground, i work in all metal all of the time with dual audio.
Last edited by sanjuro on Tue May 05, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue May 05, 2015 1:59 pm

JamieSov wrote:Filternozzle, another question if I may. I understand that the coil construction is different, but is it, do you think, suitably durable given the lack of cover? After all the coils aren't cheap!
Do you generally use the MP in all metal? With to without dual tones?
Thank you.
Hi JamieSov,
The coils are in my opinion good, strong and will prove to be durable. In addition they don't pick up a lot of mud.
I search in All Metal always and only use the dual tone on occasion to check out certain large iron signals.
Hope this helps.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Out with the MP yesterday in a field that has produced very little in the way of non-ferrous targets over the last year. It has been done to death with the GPX 5000 and Nautilus so I was very pleased to get the few items shown in the photo below. I know its not a lot, nor are the finds in any way outstanding but it was a good haul from that particular field.

Stuart900

Post by Stuart900 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:59 pm

JamieSov wrote:I too am probably going the MP route, Stuart. Is there currently a waiting time for delivery then?
I'm told the first 'UK' batch has sold out and it will be 10 working days before new stock arrives.

Can't wait to get it and give it a try :)

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue May 05, 2015 10:44 pm

JamieSov wrote:Thanks all for getting back to me. I'm sure I'll be back many-a-time to pick brains!
Best to ask as many questions as possible. As good as the Nexus detectors are, I have to say in my opinion they will not suit everyone. We are all different and what suits one person may not suit another.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue May 05, 2015 11:20 pm

JamieSov wrote:
Filternozzle wrote:
JamieSov wrote:Thanks all for getting back to me. I'm sure I'll be back many-a-time to pick brains!
Best to ask as many questions as possible. As good as the Nexus detectors are, I have to say in my opinion they will not suit everyone. We are all different and what suits one person may not suit another.
I'm pretty much happy about the learning curve, figuring, how hard can it be! As I said, I like dials and switches and am happy to persevere.

I am a little concerned about the outlay and whether it'll be a significant improvement on the GT. This is especially the case given the lack of reviews and mixed reviews/opinions for the MKII that I can find (albeit very few), although I understand that with one quite scathing reviewer there might have been something personal going on.
Maybe you should wait and see what other people have to say about it, or maybe till you know someone who has one that you could try out. I have a saying, 'If in doubt, DON'T '.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 am

JamieSov wrote:
Filternozzle wrote: Maybe you should wait and see what other people have to say about it, or maybe till you know someone who has one that you could try out. I have a saying, 'If in doubt, DON'T

Do I sense a subtext to your post???? It seems you are more than happy with the MP! Why do you think they might not suit everyone?
The best mode to use is All Metal, many will not wish to hear every target they go over. To get accurate discrimination and max depth the Ground Balance requires adjustment as the ground changes which will be a turn off for those that just want to switch on, ground balance and go without any further adjustments.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am

by JamieSov » Wed May 06, 2015 8:12 am

Have you noticed considerable difference between say all metal and discrimination modes? Or all metal and all metal using dual tones?

There is a big difference between All Metal & Discrimination. I don't like to search in Dual Tones, much prefer to hear the threshold but do find it handy for checking out a suspected iron signal now and again.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed May 06, 2015 12:01 pm

JamieSov wrote:
Filternozzle wrote:by JamieSov » Wed May 06, 2015 8:12 am

So in all metal, are you using the DDM and then if the signal is indicated as iffy, switching to Dual Tones to check?
Broadly speaking yes but mostly I use it to check large signals I believe to be iron but giving a positive DDM. When the Dual Tones give first a low tone followed by high or both tones together it is iron.

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Found this today with the MP on a site where other Roman stuff has come off its silver gilted but is it Roman or maybe Viking.

Return to “NEXUS Forum”