Nexus MP - Upgraded model 1st September 2016

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
redwulf500

Re: Nexus Standard MP

Post by redwulf500 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 am

Filternozzle wrote:My MP settings yesterday on where ground balanced out at 7.2 on the GB control.
Hi i have just bought a mp the old type with 10inch coil.when you say gb at 7.2. Is the 7 in the small window & 2 on the dial.yesterdays first try on old pasture gb in the window was 5 & between 7 & 8 on the dial.does this seem right.....red

Filternozzle

Re: Nexus Standard MP

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:21 pm

redwulf500 wrote:
Filternozzle wrote:My MP settings yesterday on where ground balanced out at 7.2 on the GB control.
Hi i have just bought a mp the old type with 10inch coil.when you say gb at 7.2. Is the 7 in the small window & 2 on the dial.yesterdays first try on old pasture gb in the window was 5 & between 7 & 8 on the dial.does this seem right.....red
Yes, 7 in the window and 2 on the dial was my setting that day.
Ground varies from place to place and the beauty of a wide band on the gb control gives you a lot of flexibility. If your machine ground balances at 5.7 or 8 its a reflection of the ground mineralisation there; if you were to go to different location you would probably have a different setting. The important thing to remember is, with the ground balance set correctly, you will get the best performance from your detector.
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

redwulf500

Re: Nexus MP

Post by redwulf500 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm

hi thanks for the info much appreciated....red.

Filternozzle

Re: The New Nexus MP (Introduced 1st Sep 16)

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:17 pm

I have joined the ranks of those with the New Nexus MP (Introduced 1st September 2016)..... Christmas is a wonderful occasion !!!! ::g

It finally arrived today and I cant wait to get out into a small pasture field that has been well detected over the years throwing up the occasional (and I mean occasional!) hammered penny, medieval buckle and spindle whorl. It hasn't been ploughed in living memory and my detecting pal Jim and myself feel there may be something to be had at depth and I mean depth. We have been using the earlier model Nexus MP, Nautilus DMCII-b and GPX-5000.

Hopefully, the weather will be kind this coming weekend as it is my intention to give my New Nexus MP a thorough workout on this pasture. I will report back on performance and am very hopeful this latest version MP will prove to be more than very useful.

I have ordered up 20 new AA rechargeable batteries, the MP takes 10 at a time but because of its power I will require two packs to get through a full days detecting.

I wish all forum members a fruitful 2017.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Best of luck mate, dedication at its best
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Out with the new upgraded Nexus MP and have to say I am very pleased with the performance. Detected in a small pasture field which has produced very little in the way of finds but has over the course of a couple of years produced a few hammered a couple of medieval buckles and a spindle whorl.

My detecting pal Jim and myself have always felt this field could produce more but that it would take a deep seeking machine. Jim uses the Nautilus DMC-IIBa and I have been using my GPX5000 with a 14" coil. Our non ferrous finds of late have been few and far between so I am very pleased with the performance of non ferrous finds as shown in the photograph. All of these finds were at depths between 7" and 14" and most between 9" and 14".

What pleased me the most was the finds consisted of both high and low conductors. The two copper turners (third and fourth from the left above the ruler) come from the 1500/1600s and are paper thin low conductors found at around 7-8", the hammered was around the 10" mark.

I would say this new Nexus MP is ideal for those who have pasture sites that have produced over the years and are now not producing. This detector has the ability to get down deep and find items other machines have not been able to reach.

I would also stress this detector is not for those who want to switch on and flit across a field. To get the performance with this new Nexus MP your sweep speed has to slow down to match the slower recovery speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 am

Finds using the new MP this weekend. Very pleased with the performance. Found another half crown, this time 1936, 6d 1928 & 1948, rose farthing, what I thought to be a coin but is lead with a crown over a thistle with numeral 3 to the right side. plus a few buttons. Most of which were at a good depth, certainly over 7". The 2/6d around 10". Running with sensitivity at the midday position, on wet grass. All metal mode, discrimination setting at zero using the LED for ferrous ID.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am

@Filternozzle,some nice finds ::g was also out with my new MP yesterday using basically the same settings as yourself,really am enjoying using this detector.Albeit finds had been scarce but at least i got some more hours on the clock,but the MP has become one of my favourite machines along side the Deus.

Looking at getting the 13'' coil for it,not really sure who sells them in the UK though,so may have too get one direct from Nexus.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 am

[quote="
Looking at getting the 13'' coil for it,not really sure who sells them in the UK though,so may have too get one direct from Nexus.[/quote]
Rick try: http://www.worldwidedetectors.com/oursh ... ctors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for your 13" coil.

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am

Filternozzle wrote:[quote="
Looking at getting the 13'' coil for it,not really sure who sells them in the UK though,so may have too get one direct from Nexus.
Rick try: http://www.worldwidedetectors.com/oursh ... ctors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for your 13" coil.[/quote]
hi ring them first as i had to wait a couple of weeks for mine..red

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:10 pm

@redwulf500 and Filternozzle ,just spoken with Worldwide and they do have them in stock,will be ordering a 13'' on wednesday.Many thanks for your help.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:47 pm

These are the settings that i have started out with on the MP and they are being fine tuned the more i use it and also the performance improves as well.

All Metal Mode
Sensitivity of course this depends on the site but mainly between 9.00 and 12.00 o'clock
Discrimination 10.00 o'clock but reducing this down to 9.00.
Dual Tone off,but it has been suggested by someone that i can use it without loosing any depth,cannot verify this as i have not tested it yet.
Threshold about 12.00 o'clock
Dig everything that is red on the ddm but also have been digging signals that maybe showing red and blue just too be on the safe side and so i dont miss anything.

This is something that i personally have been doing and that is while i am running in AM mode and a target is iffy then its a nice thing being able to flick the switch quickly into discrimination mode and then off course back into AM mode again.

These settings can and will i guess change over time and the fine tuning progresses or other user suggest trying something new ::g
Using Predator Excelsior headphones and 10'' Coil

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm

The deepest mode is All Metal; in All Metal the Discrimination control should be at zero. Sensitivity according to the ground and experience with the MP. Ground Balance should always be adjusted to the ground you are detecting over. Incorrect GB will result in false LED readings and some loss of depth.
Switching to any alternative mode will result in some depth loss.
I make a point of digging any target giving a blue signal one way and a repeatable red the other way.
Last edited by Filternozzle on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

targets

Post by targets » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm

I want one when the bigger coils are available ...22 or 26 inch
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

This machine is very interesting does it work on the wet sand or even on the dry sand????????could get some deep stufff!!!!!!

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Rivers rat wrote:This machine is very interesting does it work on the wet sand or even on the dry sand????????could get some deep stufff!!!!!!

RR
It does actually. It is well described in the User Manual how to adjust it. In actual fact every Nexus since 2004 works on the wet salt beaches. The very first tests published with Nexus on the Internet were made on the wet salt beach of Herne Bay.

http://www.nexusdetectors.com/metaldete ... each1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nexusdetectors.com/metaldete ... each2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nexus Standard MP is even better on the beach than the older models described in the links above.

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Nexus wrote:
Rivers rat wrote:This machine is very interesting does it work on the wet sand or even on the dry sand????????could get some deep stufff!!!!!!

RR
It does actually. It is well described in the User Manual how to adjust it. In actual fact every Nexus since 2004 works on the wet salt beaches. The very first tests published with Nexus on the Internet were made on the wet salt beach of Herne Bay.

http://www.nexusdetectors.com/metaldete ... each1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nexusdetectors.com/metaldete ... each2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nexus Standard MP is even better on the beach than the older models described in the links above.

I can resit everything except temptation :)) :)) :))

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

Filternozzle

Re: Nexus MP - Upgraded model 1st September 2016

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Thank goodness for the change in weather! I've been climbing the walls, its seems ages since I was out detecting but now all is well and will be out tomorrow for the full day. Two hour drive to site where I meet up with detecting pal Jim and will be swinging the coil till we drop.

Full of hope that at least one of us will find something half decent but you all know what detecting is like.... it could be one of those days where nothing of interest pops up - however, we always expect to find something very nice and tomorrow will be no exception.

I'm all packed up, clothes laid out, tomorrows breakfast in the bowl, flask at the ready with sandwich and fruit boxed up. I'll fall asleep with my mind going over the site deciding which part or parts to concentrate on..... Up early and on the road for 06:00 hrs prompt and tally-ho!
::g ::g ::g
Will be swinging the updated Nexus MP..
Last edited by Filternozzle on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:35 am

@Filternozzle,same as yourself,weather exceptionally good,the Nexus MP with 13'' coil is on charge,so will be out detecting for most of the day on a local permission,they are planning on direct drilling of peas next week,so dont have much time before the fields will be out of bounds for the summer.Still have plenty of local land too detect on though.

Also will take the Nexus SE along as well for the ride,still like using that machine,something special about that dual 9'' coil that i like.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 pm

WARNING to prospective purchasers of the Nexus MP.

Be prepared to spend time in the field learning how to get the best performance. The MP is NOT A SWITCH ON AND GO detector. Time is required to master it completely because the MP isn't in any way automated, there are no pre-set programmes. The operator is in complete control at all times so has to know why, when and what adjustments are required at all times and how to read the audio and meter information.

For those who are prepared to give the necessary time and energy into understanding and operating the Nexus MP the reward will be a machine with outstanding performance.

Return to “NEXUS Forum”