Setting Threshold and Volume on the Nexus MP

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Filternozzle

Re: Setting Threshold and Volume on the Nexus MP

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 pm

I can confirm what JamieMP says, it works very well.

Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:33 pm

JamieMP wrote:Hello all,

Got out with the MP for the first time yesterday and very good it is too.

One thing to note, when setting the threshold and volume levels, if you have headphones with an inbuilt volume control, set it to minimum and then set the MP volume to maximum. With the MP's volume maxed out, this will enable you to keep the threshold as low as possible, thus giving week, deep signals the best chance of registering.

(You might find that even with the MP's volume set this way, you'll still need to raise the headphone volume from its minimum position. Certainly I have to with my Jolly Rogers.)
Not my machine but I found on my machine setting the threshold to a faint hum gave best depth in all metal mode.

Turning it up slightly gave best depth in normal disc mode but the last part gives an iffy iron tone and unlikely to dig (this is how I ran my machine originally)

Whereas turning the threshold down slightly gave slightly less depth but a nice tone for longer. So more likely to dig those deep targets. (this is how I run my machine now)

Worth experimenting with your own detector as even the same model will have slight variations and no two are totally identical

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Koala wrote:
JamieMP wrote:Hello all,

Got out with the MP for the first time yesterday and very good it is too.

One thing to note, when setting the threshold and volume levels, if you have headphones with an inbuilt volume control, set it to minimum and then set the MP volume to maximum. With the MP's volume maxed out, this will enable you to keep the threshold as low as possible, thus giving week, deep signals the best chance of registering.

(You might find that even with the MP's volume set this way, you'll still need to raise the headphone volume from its minimum position. Certainly I have to with my Jolly Rogers.)
Not my machine but I found on my machine setting the threshold to a faint hum gave best depth in all metal mode.

Turning it up slightly gave best depth in normal disc mode but the last part gives an iffy iron tone and unlikely to dig (this is how I ran my machine originally)

Whereas turning the threshold down slightly gave slightly less depth but a nice tone for longer. So more likely to dig those deep targets. (this is how I run my machine now)

Worth experimenting with your own detector as even the same model will have slight variations and no two are totally identical

I think there may be a little misunderstanding here. Jamie MP is suggesting a very low (faint threshold. The volume control is also the On/Off control, turning On and going to maximum on the volume control, then bringing the threshold up to a very low (faint) tone. The phones are kept on low volume for each ear and are adjusted to give a good comfortable target signal (not a blasting). This is the way I tried it out yesterday on the Nexus and it worked very well.
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I will try this out myself i never tried this before (even though i have always done it on my other machines) as the manual says the opposite (headphones on full)

Return to “NEXUS Forum”