Re:NEXUS - mid freq coil?

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Filternozzle

Re:NEXUS - mid freq coil?

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I have not used a 13" coil on my Credo DDM, My approach on deeper small targets would be to ensure I have the centre of the coil over the target and carry out a number of very short (3") sweeps whilst going round and over the target centre. I'd be looking for a repeatable LED, it wouldn't matter if 99% of the sweeps didn't light up the LED as long as it does on one particular sweep angle that is repeatable. I'd then dig up the target.

This is similar to the way the GPX-5000 id's iron, but in reverse, with the GPX you sweep the coil over the target whilst walking round it; to identify iron it you are listening for a break in the tone, in this case even if 99% sweeps do not give a break in the tone but one does, then leave the target as its most likely iron.

A number of us have over the years, suggested a frequency between 12-15 kHz but Georgi has always been adamant such a frequency change will not improve the performance on the Nexus.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Filternozzle on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Mega B

Re: mid freq coil?

Post by Mega B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Thats the main reason i use the Deus running at 11 and 17khz for small finds and the MP for deeper work,they compliment one another and basically these are becoming the only 2 machines that i take with me these days.

The MP with the 10'' coil is reasonable for most needs,but the Deus just has the edge due to the higher khz and nails smaller coins so much better.But then the Deus just cannot touch the MP for depth so with these 2 machines i have the best of both worlds.
Some of the machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Mega B wrote:Thats the main reason i use the Deus running at 11 and 17khz for small finds and the MP for deeper work,they compliment one another and basically these are becoming the only 2 machines that i take with me these days.

The MP with the 10'' coil is reasonable for most needs,but the Deus just has the edge due to the higher khz and nails smaller coins so much better.But then the Deus just cannot touch the MP for depth so with these 2 machines i have the best of both worlds.
I'm looking for a new machine so am interested in each of these discussions. From what you say doesn't that mean you would have to cover each field twice? Just trying to get to the bottom of all the comparisons.
Cheers

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:38 pm

WVAM wrote:
Mega B wrote:Thats the main reason i use the Deus running at 11 and 17khz for small finds and the MP for deeper work,they compliment one another and basically these are becoming the only 2 machines that i take with me these days.

I'm looking for a new machine so am interested in each of these discussions. From what you say doesn't that mean you would have to cover each field twice? Just trying to get to the bottom of all the comparisons.
Cheers
The latest Nexus MP (manufactured since early September 216) will give great depth and discrimination on both small and larger high and low conducting targets. I have not used my Minelab GPX5000 or my Nautilus detectors since getting the new MP. I hasten to add I also own the previous MP model and I have noticed the new upgraded MP is a different machine in both operation and performance.
Last edited by Filternozzle on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 pm

ghound wrote:If you have a large area to cover in a hurry or lots of trash your best off with a machine that gives you more info back on whats below the coil.
A deus or GM at 18khz will pick out the shallow small silver in such situations quicker and give an indication on there screen as to what your digging. Once you start going deeper screens are hit and miss and your down to a ferrous/non ferrous decision and the Nexus will find the bigger coins deeper than most, but you'll be covering the ground a lot slower which is fine if the area your searching has produced at shallow depths.

If you're in a hurry the Nexus and especially the MP is not the detector to use. However, if you are using the Nexus MP it has a mineralisation control switch which can be used to reduce sensitivity by approx 50% which is very handy if you find yourself in an iron infested situation. Furthermore, the other mineralisation controls can be used to reduce sensitivity even more. This enables one to pick out non-ferrous in amongst the ferrous more easily. Or alternatively the Threshold can be reduced into the silent zone, the further it is turned the less the depth.
Last edited by Filternozzle on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verulamium

Post by Verulamium » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm

I always run my Deus at 11 KHz. It's a kick ass frequency for hammies.... ::g
Looking for stuff.....mainly in fields.......

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:41 pm

@Filternozzle,Richard,i fully understand that Nexus machines require to be used slowly and that is perfectly fine on say your own permissions and you are not against the clock,but if you are say on a club dig and you only have say a 6-7 hour time duration too try and get some feel for the site and pick up a hotspot or 2 then that is when sometimes a faster machine can be the best option,as ghound has mentioned his chosen tool for situation like that is the GM5 but i choose the Deus basically also because of the weight or lack of it i should say.

So although i have been highlighted that the MP can and will cover most detecting situations,sometimes using another machine can sometimes be a better option,then of course if one takes 2 machines with you you still have a back up machine if after traveling many miles to a dig you get something that goes wrong with your primary machine.

I doubt that i will post on using these machines again,i am very happy that i bought them and how they perform,thanks everyone for all your suggestion,but will be flying solo from know on,sometimes aggression creeps into some posts or replies,for me its all about enjoying detecting and that is what i will do with my Nexus detectors but i will do it my way moving forward ::g
Some of the machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:06 pm

I would just add for clarification, most of the comments regarding the MP in this thread, refer to the previous model and not the current model that has been available since 1st September 2016.

I have both MP models and can confirm from experience in the field, the latest Power hungry MP has no difficulty in finding very deep hammered low conductors.

It is confusing I know, but the MP model available now, is a different machine to its predecessor both in operation and performance. I have to use two packs of 10xAA batteries for a full days detecting with the current MP.

As I understand it, the very high power output is one of the reasons the low frequency coil is able to find deep low conductors like a hammered penny.
Last edited by Filternozzle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Verulamium wrote:I always run my Deus at 11 KHz. It's a kick ass frequency for hammies.... ::g
That's bloody low ... I default to GMP and 18khz .. off out tomorrow am and will bring some hammies with me to experiment with. Do you alter your swing speed? Why should 11 khz bring up more targets such as hammies? Such a versatile machine, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Ringmoney

Post by Ringmoney » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Verulamium wrote:I always run my Deus at 11 KHz. It's a kick ass frequency for hammies.... ::g
That's bloody low ... I default to GMP and 18khz .. off out tomorrow am and will bring some hammies with me to experiment with. Do you alter your swing speed? Why should 11 khz bring up more targets such as hammies? Such a versatile machine, Liam OooO
I think you will be quite surprised :) Put an Eddy penny flat on the ground and compare different frequencies.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

If it does the job I will buy you a pint next time we meet up Ringo OooO Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Filternozzle

Re: New 14kHz & 24kHz coils coming from Nexus

Post by Filternozzle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 am

Good news for those of us who have been asking for a 14kHz coil. I have it on good authority Nexus are putting a new 13" 14kHz DD coil through its final testing stages prior to release. This will be followed later in the year by a new 9" 24kHz concentric coil.

I believe these coils are being aimed at detectorists who in the main are looking for individual smaller hammered coins and cut halves/quarters etc..

::g
Last edited by Filternozzle on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Filternozzle

Re: New 14kHz & 24kHz coils coming from Nexus

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 am

Filternozzle wrote:Good news for those of us who have been asking for a 14kHz coil. I have it on good authority Nexus are putting a new 13" 14kHz DD coil through its final testing stages prior to release. This will be followed later in the year by a new 9" 24kHz concentric coil.

I believe these coils are being aimed at detectorists who in the main are looking for individual smaller hammered coins and cut halves/quarters.

::g
I should have also said these new coils are for the Nexus MP only

Mega B

Re: Re:NEXUS - mid freq coil?

Post by Mega B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am

Excellent news,that could well become a everyday use coil as those are the main targets that folks are finding,hammered coins either full or parts of are much more the usual targets than large artifacts or hoards.So the 14khz coil will be the right tool for the job.

Have been using the small coil of late and that is the main the one that i use on the machine at the moment,always have the 13'' coil ready if i want the additional depth and ground coverage,

Return to “NEXUS Forum”